iPhone locked to NZ SIM

Starter Poster

Re: iPhone locked to NZ SIM

by Keith1 Starter Poster
Message 11 of 20 (438 Views)

Hi Nick,

I have just PM'd you the IMEI number as requesed. 

I have put the NZ travel sim back in the phone this evening to see what happens and interestingly when I check in "General" & "About" the phone is on the Vodafone UK network and is not listed as "Phone not allowed" as it does with the UK sim installed. 

Interested in your thoughts on this. 

On the back of information and failure to get this resolved that QuinWP has noted in this posting, I have today purhased a replacement iPhone from Apple. I run my own business and can't afford to be without a phone even for 24 hours let alone 8 weeks.  

Still hoping this can be resolved. 

KH

Staff

by Staff wsfinest Staff
Message 12 of 20 (437 Views)

So with the VFNZ Sim in the device it is attaching to the VFUK network, hence why you are seeing that on the phone. The VFNZ sim is roaming as such on VFUK

Starter Poster

by Keith1 Starter Poster
Message 13 of 20 (435 Views)

Yes, so it seems, but why would it not block the phone as per the UK Vodafone sim?? Is the IMEI system not international??

It looks like the VNZ sim has taken the phone for its own and now my UK sim is being blocked much like when you buy a phone on a 2 year contract, the phone is locked into that network and does not let the phone work with any other network...

KH

Staff

by Staff wsfinest Staff
Message 14 of 20 (416 Views)

IMIE system is international. Honestly contact Apple they are the only ones who can help you out here sorry. Have you tried a factory reset with the UK sim in the device. That is the only thing I can think of

Starter Poster

by Keith1 Starter Poster
Message 15 of 20 (408 Views)

A factory reset with the UK sim in place was the very first thing I did to try to rectify this. 

I will make an appointment at the apple store to get there view/see if they can fix it. I will report back to you both what they say. 

KH

Highlighted
Staff

by Staff wsfinest Staff
Message 16 of 20 (406 Views)

Cool. the question I would put to apple when you see them is this.

Can a Mobile carrier access the iPhones OS to make it not work on 1 carrier but work on another. I think that would be a large security issue if so. Good luck

Starter Poster

by Keith1 Starter Poster
Message 17 of 20 (221 Views)

Hey, So,

I decided to wait until I returned to NZ, I arrived yesterday, to see if the Iphone ran unlocked on the Vodafone NZ sim in NZ, and guess what...  I went to the Vodafone NZ desk at arrivals at Auckland Airport and asked to put NZ$20 credit on the sim I purchased last time I was here (the one that has caused this issue) and within 2 minutes my iPhone was happily on the Vodafone NZ Network and I was calling my Dad in Christchurch. As I have not been able to use the phone since all this drama began (I shelled out £1449.00 on a new one...) and there is an upddate to carry out. I will reinstall my UK data sim and download/install the update via wifi just to see if the VNZ tech guy was correct in the iPhone being locked onto the VNZ network due to the SIM being a VNZ one. 

On my return to the UK next week and Ill check to see if this has fixed the problem, if not then off to Apple I go...  

Any luck with your iPhone??

Kindest,

KH

Staff

by Staff wsfinest Staff
Message 18 of 20 (218 Views)

PM Sent

Starter Poster

by Keith1 Starter Poster
Message 19 of 20 (147 Views)

Update:

After my recent trip back to NZ and the successful use of the iPhone in question within NZ, both using the VNZ sim and the VUK sim, I am very sorry to report that on my return to the UK the iphone is again reporting "phone not allowed" when I attempt to use my VUK sim. This would indicate that the iPhone is indeed "locked" to the VNZ network. 

Whilst in NZ I spoke with Nick who spent time investigating whether this iPhone had been blocked via its IMEI through an Apple systems application internally within Vodafone NZ which reported back that it was not blocked in any way. 

Since the disapointment of finding that this iPhone is still locked to the VNZ network I have spent: 

An hour and a half in the Reading Apple Store: They understood the problem but didnt have the tech staff to sort it - was promised a call from their next level tech team on Tuesday but never received the call. 

An hour with Vodafone UK. They checked their systems and the network lock has not been activated by them - therefore its not their problem.

An hour with O2 where the phone was originally purchased: All phone sold through O2 are sold unlocked (company policy) and they confirmed that the lock to the VNZ network was not of their doing.

So, to recap: The £1499 iPhone that was working perfectly well in the UK until I put a Vodafone NZ sim in it, is now proven to be locked to the VNZ network and is nothing more that a piece of technological art here in the UK. I will make a second visit to the Apple store in Reading tomorrow and will report back with any updates.

KH 

Staff

by Staff wsfinest Staff
Message 20 of 20 (120 Views)

Hi Keith

As per our conversation. VFNZ nor any other carrier can lock an iPhone or any phone to there network. Your device is not on a IMIE blacklist, if it was it would not have worked when you came back to NZ. IMIE black listing means it won't work on any carrier.

As you said you spoke to Apple and they knew of the issue, that is because it is Apple will be the 1 who will fox the issue.

Please get O2 to send you evidence that this deviec is infact locked, and then PM me. But the sooner someone @ Apple looks at it the sooner you can use the device.

Stats
  • 19 Replies
  • 46w ago
  • 2 Kudos
  • 4 Contributors