Does Vodafone offer “allow wifi calling “ yet

Retired Staff

Re: Does Vodafone offer “allow wifi calling “ yet

[ Edited ]
by johnr Retired Staff
Message 11 of 23 (162 Views)

@CraigWhiteheadWell you can always chose a carrier that has Wi-Fi calling working now!

Only 1 carrier in New Zealand does support Wi-Fi calling as we all know

https://www.2degreesmobile.co.nz/help-and-support/mobile/products-and-services/wifi-calling/

I use it and it works fantastic and have used it around the world for free roaming

Ex VodafoneNZ staff member 17+ years and if you want real help from real people check out www.geekzone.co.nz
Senior Contributor

by Senior Contributor coffeebaron Senior Contributor
Message 12 of 23 (147 Views)
There was mention by a certain CEO that this may be happening next year. A real shame SureSignal is no longer available.
Posted from Generic Android 2.0
Retired Staff

by johnr Retired Staff
Message 13 of 23 (143 Views)
Agree Sure Signal is a fantastic service
Ex VodafoneNZ staff member 17+ years and if you want real help from real people check out www.geekzone.co.nz
Posted from Samsung SM-G965F
Starter Poster

[ Edited ]
by Carlos2 Starter Poster
Message 14 of 23 (138 Views)

Okay so Vodafone dropped selling the Sure Signal here which was an Alcatel device.

Now Alcatel still make a similar 4G LTE device for T-Mobile in the USA called a cellspot version 1 and they are all over E-Bay. The issue is that it will NOT work in NZ because it will not be configured for Vodafone NZ. There are numerious people who have bought them within the USA and they do not work with other networks.

Perhaps Vodafone are looking at this or maybe as mentioned they have dropped the last version because Wi-Fi calling is not that far away and thet kind of makes the extra box redundant. 

It would be nice to know either a date for the introduction of Wi-Fi calling or a new sure signal arriving or even when voLTE is being more comprehensively rolled out because ANY of the these would solve the problem for me.

Retired Staff

by johnr Retired Staff
Message 15 of 23 (133 Views)
How would VoLTE resolve your issue?
Posted from Samsung SM-G965F
Starter Poster

Message 16 of 23 (120 Views)

voLTE wouild also solve my problem as I have sorted out the 4G reception here on the Rural 700MHz Band 28.

Retired Staff

by johnr Retired Staff
Message 17 of 23 (104 Views)

@Carlos2 

I just read this

Seems starnge that 2 Degrees have had this service for ages and Vodafone has not when its just a software change in the phone and surely just a possible firmware upgrade in the Vodafone Ultra-Hub modem.

It's far more than a software change in the phone and the Ultra-Hub modem would not require a software update, Major changes / hardware upgrades need to be done to the Core network and more!

Google IMS core (VodafoneNZ does have an IMS core) but more more work is required as I understand

Starter Poster

Message 18 of 23 (101 Views)

I guess its dissaponinting that Vodafone is racing ahead with the 5G network when the 4G network is not even finished properly. I would argue that we don't currently even need a 5G network if the current 4G network was completed and running at its full potential. People should do a data speed test using Ookla in an area with a strong 4G signal on their phone, the speeds are amazing. Its about the  supporting network and not all about the latest technology, no point getting excited about potential connection speeds when you cannot even get a connection in the first place.

Its a bit sad the big "Marketing" push for 5G when many people still cannot make a voice call. I can still remember dial up at 9600, 14.4kbps then 28 then 56 but in reality your ACTUAL speed didn't change in many cases, it was really marketing hype.

The fact I'm now seeking to put a mobile call and still put data down copper really says it all.

Retired Staff

[ Edited ]
by johnr Retired Staff
Message 19 of 23 (96 Views)

@Carlos2  You should read the media releases VodafoneNZ has advised another 400 sites will be upgraded in the coming months and many of these sites are 3G only and sites that are already 4G will get extra 4G bands added to them

So Vodafone will be looking at the most congested 4G sites and adding more capacity IE if the site is only band 28 4G then they will look at adding band 3 1800Mhz

I remember CSD very clearly and I also on the GPRS trial before VodafoneNZ launched it

I was also part of 3G and 4G trials

Starter Poster

[ Edited ]
Message 20 of 23 (72 Views)

I look forward to the upgrades, the coverage in Puhoi which is technically still in Auckland is abismal.

Upgrades to exisitng towers will probably not help much, they are to few and far in between, whats needed is new towers to help fill in some of the holes in the network.

Stats
  • 22 Replies
  • 1y ago
  • 1 Kudo
  • 9 Contributors