Does Vodafone offer “allow wifi calling “ yet

Highlighted
Regular Poster

Re: Does Vodafone offer “allow wifi calling “ yet

by Regular Poster Carlos2 Regular Poster
Message 21 of 29 (1,452 Views)

So weird that Vodafone did not continue with another version of the Sure Signal for out market. Alcatel-Lucent still making the product for the USA market and Qualcomm still making even more advanced 4G and now even 5G chipsets.

https://www.qualcomm.com/products/modems

It would appear that Vodafone have other plans and until then there is a big hole to fill and people currently spending stupid money on Trade-Me for the Sure Signal at THREE times the price they were new from Vodafone.

In part the Vodafone network is not keeping up with where it should be with voLTE and Wi-Fi calling, I really hope its fixed soon.

Highlighted
New Poster

by SteveCrossland New Poster
Message 22 of 29 (1,436 Views)

My Wife &I both had 2degrees wificalling & she still does.
Her wifi calling works seamlessly  while My new Work Vodafone is still stuck in the dark ages & I get no coverage at home unless I stand on a high point in the far corner on one leg while holding a steel umbrella.

Come on guys, what's going on here

Highlighted
Regular Poster

[ Edited ]
Message 23 of 29 (1,429 Views)

Whats going on here Steve is Vodafone has been selling additional hardware in the form of the Sure Signal and other boosters for those in Rural locations to improve your reception when its not really necessary these days.

Now as of a month or so ago they stopped selling the Sure Signal and the only logical reason I can think of why is that they are about to make some network changes that make it obsolete in the very near future. If they kept selling them right up until the changeover, there would be numerious people pretty annoyed at a bit of hardware they no longer needed and it would suddenly be a worthless bit of kit to throw in the bin.

Now that sounds great to me I can wait a while as I also have a steel umbrella and can stand on one leg for up to one hour to get good enough reception, however how long do we have to wait before I get hopping mad at the delay ?

If someone could point me to a Vodafone Media release or a link on the latest changes that would be great.

Really beside the reacent Hoop La about 5G, which I have zero interest in, there has been nothing.

Highlighted
Contributor

by Contributor AndyE Contributor
Message 24 of 29 (347 Views)

And here we are nearly 10 months later with no sign of wifi calling yet.

My partner just switched to 2 Degrees and the wifi calling is awesome for getting good mobile service in many more places than just using the mobile network.  I'm on a work plan so don't have the flexibility.

Other benefits of the 2D plan (data roll-over) mean that their offering is starting to stretch out ahead of similar plans from Vodafone.

Highlighted
Regular Poster

[ Edited ]
Message 25 of 29 (338 Views)

Basically if you want to do Wi-Fi calling on Vodafone you just use WhatsApp, you can even make it a video call.

I see that Vodafone Finally released the 4G VoLTE calling for the Samsung A20 phones, didn't help me however as clearly the celltower we use in Puhoi has not yet had the 4G VoLTE upgrade.

Vodafone certainly has some issues, generally useless cell coverage in Tauranga as well to the point everyone uses Spark.

In the end you have to take things into your own hands because you get sick of waiting for them to upgrade the service and put in your own booster.

I see the "Sure Signal" femtocells are still selling for silly money on Trade-Me because Vodafone stopped selling them.

Highlighted
Senior Contributor

by Senior Contributor shadow Senior Contributor
Message 26 of 29 (334 Views)

Looking at the coverage map all 4G sites in NZ have VoLTE so if its not working I'd ask someone at VF to have a look

Highlighted
Starter Poster

by CraigWhitehead Starter Poster
Message 27 of 29 (317 Views)

Messenger Apps like WhatsApp, Messanger, Hangouts etc. etc. are fine but they do not provide the functionality of Wifi Calling - 2degrees offers it if you wish to find out how it differs

Highlighted
Regular Poster

[ Edited ]
Message 28 of 29 (307 Views)

A voice call over data is a voice call is a voice call. The only issue is that both callers need WhatsApp. Pretty much everyone I know has it and hence Vodafone have not bothered with Wi-Fi calling.

It would still be better if they improved the 4G network because in the event you loose power in an emergency, there goes your Wi-Fi calling.

Hopefully there will be a 4G/5G "Sure Signal" released in the not so distant future by Vodafone.

The problem is they are now rushing forward with 5G which is not even needed if the current 4G network was up to standard.

The marketing is pushing the 5G like its a must have, it not a must have. Pretty much everything humans do in real time like driving is so slow it simply doesn't need those kind of data rates, the problem is the NO OR WEAK SIGNAL CONNECTION, not the actual data rates in 4G. When your struggling to get 1 bar of signal strength your in trouble.

Every single lamp post in NZ is going to need a 5G repeater on it, which is pretty funny because more than half our roads don't even have lampposts. 5G is simply hopeless technology for New Zealand we have a population density that is far to low. 5G is ideal for places like Hong Kong and Singapore.

Highlighted
Senior Contributor

by Senior Contributor shadow Senior Contributor
Message 29 of 29 (300 Views)

I doubt there will be another sure signal unit as it'll mean another device to support, should be easier to enable Wifi Calling plus you are not limited to just where suresignal units are

Stats
  • 28 Replies
  • 2y ago
  • 3 Kudos
  • 10 Contributors