Vodafone TV vs. competitors - any updates?

Highlighted
Starter Poster

Vodafone TV vs. competitors - any updates?

by Ajkiwi Starter Poster
Message 1 of 4 (239 Views)

Vodafone TV is driving me crazy.  It's an incomplete solution, and while it's good at some of what it does (live TV, pausing, some recording, netflix, TVNZ and Three on demand), it just doesn't work in place of a PVR (or my old 10-year-old Windows based PVR)!

The following is breaking the experience for me:

• No recording of the TVNZ channels
  • No recording of most movies and random other shows and content (TV3's Newhub news at 6pm? Seriously?)
  • No +1 freeview channels for the stuff that can't be recorded (Oh come on - WHY NOT?)
  • No lightbox app.
  • No interactive netflix app (bye, Bandersnatch!)

...it's SO CLOSE.  But with Freeview now launching it's new Freeview/DishTV recorder, freeview's smartvu puck, Sky launching their streaming puck in Feb, and numerous Freeview recorders with app support and no restrictions in the shops, I'm annoyed that I seem to have a broken, incomplete service and no information about when it might be usable.

Can we get any updates on development of the Vodafone TV box, or should I just be walking down to Noel Leeming after work?

Community Manager

Re: Vodafone TV vs. competitors - any updates?

by Community Manager Community Manager
Message 2 of 4 (190 Views)

@Ajkiwi

Thanks for your feedback and glad you like the things you do.

<<>>

The following is breaking the experience for me:

• No recording of the TVNZ channels
  • No recording of most movies and random other shows and content (TV3's Newhub news at 6pm? Seriously?)
  • No +1 freeview channels for the stuff that can't be recorded (Oh come on - WHY NOT?)
    > All the above will be rights issues. We are working through those as quickly as possible but it's done on a production company by production company not channel.
  • No lightbox app.
    > Rights on top of rights.
  • No interactive netflix app (bye, Bandersnatch!)
    > There is a Netflix app, so unsure what you mean?

Cheers

m

Product Owner AI & Automated Support
Vodafone New Zealand
Starter Poster

[ Edited ]
by Ajkiwi Starter Poster
Message 3 of 4 (158 Views)

Hi Mike - Thanks for the update, such as it is!

Oh, I understand *why* things aren't there (well, not the +1 channels and recent Jan 1 removal of Newhub, which just sounds like a bad contract deal).  Similarly "app issues" will have me watching Black Mirror: Bandersnatch on my tiny PC screen when there is a brand new vodafone TV sitting there, which is just a bit galling.

But yeah... I'm not able to keep using vodafone TV instead of my big bulky 10 year old Windows PC PVR.  It just isn't mature enough. Vodafone's got, what... a month?... to fix things before the freeview and sky solutions launch. I hope someone is scrambling.  I look forward to more updates! 

Business Ninja Adept

by Business Ninja Adept Business Ninja Adept Business Ninja Adept
Message 4 of 4 (152 Views)
Hi

TV3 Newshub recording will work from tonight onwards now.

Please note Vodafone TV isn’t the only service that does not support Netflix Interactive Content. Apple TV for example does not either.

Best Regards,
Sebastian
NOC Engineer | Vodafone NZ
Posted from Apple iPhone
Stats
  • 3 Replies
  • 1w ago
  • 1 Kudo
  • 3 Contributors