Vodafone TV unfit for purpose? "Vodafone TV cannot play the content as the connection is lost"

Highlighted
Starter Poster

Vodafone TV unfit for purpose? "Vodafone TV cannot play the content as the connection is lost"

by Nutta Starter Poster
Message 1 of 10 (407 Views)

Hi,

Over the last several weeks I'm constantly plagued by an error "Vodafone TV cannot play the content as the connection is lost"

I've come to the conclusion that this is a Vodafone TV service issue. Service doesn't seem fit for purpose?

So far:

Issue only ever occurs when switching from one VFTV stream to another, or back from watching a Netflix stream to VFTV stream. Never occurs mid-programme, which would be more expected for an actual internet issue? Seems like VFTV box fails to connect to the content streaming servers, channel guide is fine.

Non VFTV devices are all internet connected OK, with no issues or interruptions.

Issue occurs throughout the day, but more prevalent during evenings. We have the issue occur multiple times a day.

Netflix, lightbox, etc are never affected. When issue occurs can always happily change to another streaming service such as Netflix or lightbox. Issue may or may not occur when switching back to the VFTV channel streams.

VFTV diagnostics never show an issue. Streaming bitrate reports as nothing (i.e. field blank in System Info | Streaming Bitrate. Self Diagnostics says "no problems detected with the service".

Problem usually resolved by removing power from VFTV unit and restarting. Occasionally this doesn't work and requires a second restart. Sometimes if we wait 10 minutes and change channel, service is restored.

We're using direct wired connection, tried multiple network cables, various switch ports, direct router connection etc. All networking gear is enterprise class, not consumer kit.

Pulling and reattaching network cable never resolves issue.

Have logged calls with Vodafone and followed all advice given. Soft reset, hard reset, cable changes etc. They've even  replaced the box but issue still occurring.

So, at this point we have (and are paying for) a service we can only use sometimes. It is unacceptable quality and unfit for purpose.

I'm happy to assist with troubleshooting this issue (I can see multiple connection failures to VF DNS and content servers etc originating from VFTV box through firewall logging) but the soul destroying process of calling and going through all the scripted troubleshooting steps for the umpteenth time is pointless.

Nick

Highlighted
Staff

Re: Vodafone TV unfit for purpose? "Vodafone TV cannot play the content as the connection is lo

by Staff grantt Staff
Message 2 of 10 (395 Views)

Hi @Nutta 

Can you please pm me with details of your setup. Including account number (if any) and STB serial number.

Thanks

I work in Media Operations.

Please note that I am not a part of the social media team and help out on my own time where possible.
Highlighted
Starter Poster

Re: Vodafone TV unfit for purpose? "Vodafone TV cannot play the content as the connection is lo

by RexConnix Starter Poster
Message 3 of 10 (321 Views)

Having the same issue but this is a brand new box purchased today and will not play any of the tv channels. Have tried resetting the box and WiFi and Ethernet but still keep getting cannot play the content as the connection is lost.

i have internet in that part of the house as I have tested with phone and laptop connected to Ethernet to my mesh and all working fine but the `TV box will not work

has anyone got any ideas

Highlighted
Starter Poster

by Nutta Starter Poster
Message 4 of 10 (316 Views)
Are you getting the exact message "Vodafone TV cannot play the content as the connection is lost"?

My VFTV works fine when watching a programme, only get the error when changing content stream/channel, or switching from watching catchup to live, etc.

Never, ever, have an issue once a live/recorded/catchup programme is playing.

There are other connect issues that seem to be local wireless network issues or similar. Vodafone may be able to help you with those...

Posted from Samsung SM-N975F
Highlighted
Starter Poster

Message 5 of 10 (311 Views)
Cheers
I have my laptop connect to the same mesh as the TV box. I can watch live streaming on my laptop but I get the connection was lost all the time on all channels. New box today have not been able to watch anything on it
Posted from Apple iPhone
Highlighted
Starter Poster

by dayone Starter Poster
Message 6 of 10 (303 Views)
hi, i had same message from day one after playing live tv more than ten minutes then changing channels needing turning off for 30 secs and on again reset it.
today ended up replacing box, new box wouldnt connect to wifi no matter what, saying try again. left it plugged in, and came back an hour later to see it somehow connected on its own. now working normally.
given its a new vtv box it may be a glitchy fixable issue
you have good internet its probably not your wifi.
vtv boxes seem to be a bit finacky and glitchy but try and have patience for now, i know its dissapointing. first asap call the 0800 080078 number, explain the issue on Vodafone tv they will try to help and give good advice.
also check your post here by tommorow for a reply from Vodafone tech @grantt he im sure will see your request for help and will ask you to private message him, i think you click on his name to get to do a first private message.if stuck reply to his reply to your post.
explain issue, give him your email you set up your Vodafone tv with or the box serial number, and date and place of purchace he will check at his end.
he may ask you for, using wifi or ethernet, your modems model make and model, and via the admin web interface what soft ware is currently running on it and, -if any- the firewall level setting configured. your internet provider can supply this. message them asap.
screen shot those questions to access them easier or write them down if you need to.
to save days of sending @grantt messages and waiting for a reply i recommend you could have info ready.
on the website vtv.nz check your account - device- see if any message saying device needs resetting.
but call Vodafone on 0800 080078 in the first instance. best guess youl fix it in the end. i know its a pain, hang in there.
all the best.
Posted from Samsung SM-J530Y
Highlighted
Starter Poster

by dayone Starter Poster
Message 7 of 10 (299 Views)
also rexconnix,
check with your remote on menu - settings -updates - check if theres a promt for an update. mine also needed an update.
best of luck.
Highlighted
Starter Poster

Message 8 of 10 (293 Views)
Yep updated which tells me the network is connected as it had to download. But still no joy on the live streams.

Will try the 0800 number tomorrow if still have the same issue
Thanks for the info
Posted from Apple iPhone
Highlighted
Starter Poster

by dayone Starter Poster
Message 9 of 10 (292 Views)
just checked, if you scroll down on the main forum all the other posts youl see replys by Vodafone @grantt in red with the Vodafone logo attached, click on his name. itl have his basic profile, and a link to private message him. i wouldnt wait, send him a private message with your email address any info you can provide etc asap to get his attention.
Highlighted
Starter Poster

Message 10 of 10 (253 Views)
Found the problem (yah) it was the new orbi mesh causing the issue. It had its own network causing double natting to occur which stopped the TV box from getting out to the Internet. Setup the mesh to be an AP only and now everything is working well. Thanks to all that helped
Posted from Apple iPhone
Stats
  • 9 Replies
  • 13w ago
  • 0 Kudos
  • 4 Contributors