Vodafone TV suggested improvements

Highlighted
Starter Poster
Accepted Solution

Vodafone TV suggested improvements

by Validus Starter Poster
Message 1 of 4 (344 Views)

I'm quite disappointed with Vodafone TV at it's current state, but it could be really good.

Almost all the good/newer TV Freeview Movies can't be recorded. The device should at least be able to support an external Hard Drive for recording whatever you wanted, like you can do with any other similar device.

There should also be fall backs for the streaming source. My router has two 5GHz wifi signals, if one is weak or failing, fall back to the other (if proved the password for both), then if there's no wifi at all, fall back to a normal TV signal. I don't understand why Vodafone TV needs to be using Wifi all the time and for some reason if it's like 3am at night fails to connect/load to anything.

If it also used the normal antenna for live TV, that would be ideal, even if there's an issue with Wifi at the time.

On the plus side, I do like how the remote can turn on/off the TV as well, loads up Netflix and has 3 days worth of previous TV content.

Contributor

Re: Vodafone TV suggested improvements

by Contributor JamRam Contributor
Message 2 of 4 (308 Views)

@Validus I know what you mean. There are so many products out there that I wish didn't have features they have, have features they don't and features that work differently to the way I want them to.

At the end of the day it comes down to trading off cost, complexity, time to market and so on. The STB you want would cost >$400

I'll write up a separate post on rights and how they work but a post by someone else earlier prompted me to confirm the % of each type of STB rights we have. As of last week 90.4% of all content can be recorded, 87.07% of all content has catchup and 93.55% of all content has restart rights. Some channels are better than others.

You mention that most recent movies are not able to be recorded. Can you give me some examples of titles that you can't record and are not available under the VOD catalogue? I looked at 5 titles (small sample I know) from the Movies Premiere channel and they all have record, catchup and restart. I might have the wrong end of the stick here?

Not supporting an internal hard disk is a trade off on cost and form factor. Also, if recordings are made to hard disk, they cannot be shared between devices like they can with Vodafone TV. Interestingly Vodafone Germany are moving to Vodafone TV and ther laws dictate that they can only record to hard disk. This forces Vodafone Group to develop a hard disk solution but it will be a lot more expensive than the current STB. Yet to be seen if this is even an option for us locally.

I think you mean that your router has 2 WIFI bands (5Ghz and 2.4Ghz). Yes, the STB only supports 5Ghz. This is due to the fact that the WIFI chip was designed to support all Vodafone markets. We run unicast but most other markets run multicast which is highly sensitive to packet loss. This chip supports 4 x 4 MIMO over 5G which gives you higer bandwith, less chance of interference (most devices work on the 2.4Ghz band) and more WIFI channels to switch to avoid interference with other devices on the 5Ghz band.

Vodafone TV is an Internet based streaming service and works over Ethernet and if you have a Gen2 STB then also WIFI. We did not include a DTT tuner and have no plans to either.

The STB does a mantenance cycle every night sometime between 2am-4am. I assume this is what you are referring to when you say it fails to load anything at 3am?

Starter Poster

by Validus Starter Poster
Message 3 of 4 (279 Views)

Thanks for your response.

As for most recent movies not able to be recorded: I mean I mostly use Freeview channels 2, 3, and Duke TV. Many movies such as The Mummy, American Pie, Terminator 2, etc, on those free to air channels can't be recorded due to licensing restrictions?

If the device had a built-in hard-drive and USB Port for external HDD or SSD storage, letting you record any free-to-air channel content (much like any DVR or even VHS in the past would let you - I don't believe there's any licensing issues is there?) then it would probably be worthwhile, even if a bit more expensive.

Any additional suggestion system would also make good usage out of that 3 day TV guide by adding tags to each show/movie, (optional) learning the user's tastes (perhaps with user profiles). For example: This movie tags are adventure, action, and has the actor Jackie Chan in. Due to that user profile selections or pass watching history, it suggests this and other future movies/shows to watch or record. Or even have a show/movie rating system, suggesting I like this movie but not drama shows, etc.

Contributor

by Contributor JamRam Contributor
Message 4 of 4 (277 Views)

@Validus 

<snip>

Any additional suggestion system would also make good usage out of that 3 day TV guide by adding tags to each show/movie, (optional) learning the user's tastes (perhaps with user profiles)

<snip>

We refer to this as recomendation engine. This year we have been building all of the components needed to support this with a view to going live next year.

Stats
  • 3 Replies
  • 7w ago
  • 2 Kudos
  • 2 Contributors