Vodafone TV cannot play the content as the connection is lost

Highlighted
New Poster

Vodafone TV cannot play the content as the connection is lost

by MarkD New Poster
Message 1 of 15 (668 Views)

Hi Vodafone

This doesn't look good as the issue is all over the web and not resolved?

So for the first week or 2 after purchasing the unit, no issues and I was constantly surprised on how cool this device is, then on one occasion the connection error came up. After 10min I resorted to turning everything off including the internet and restarted but the issue was still there. Having left it for another 10min, I moved around the guide and it came right.

This then started occurring more frequently and now I get it once a day.

IT IS NOT AN INTERNET CONNECTION ISSUE. I'm still able to watch Netflix and other internet services on the VTV, just not regular tv. Even going into the VTV settings ->Network, the ethernet connections is green and "Connected".

The issue occurs when watching a recording or delayed TV and switching back to regular tv.

I've even did a hard reset only to have the issue remain so I think it has something to do on the server end, not the hardware??

Please fix this issue and I'm getting anxiety just wondering when it will time-out.

Kind regards,

Mark

Highlighted
Starter Poster

Re: Vodafone TV cannot play the content as the connection is lost

by Nutta Starter Poster
Message 2 of 15 (618 Views)
Has there been any update on this issue?

As per original poster, this is occurring frequently (several times daily) and affects only VodafoneTV, not Netflix etc delivered by the same box.

Sometimes resolved by changing channel after a few minutes, other times need to pull power to the box and restart.

All diagnostics in box report ok. All other internet connectivity (e.g. laptops, phones and other devices) work without interruption.

Some response required please.

Thanks
Posted from Samsung SM-N975F
Highlighted
Starter Poster

by Nutta Starter Poster
Message 3 of 15 (528 Views)
Hi,

I've come to the conclusion that this is a Vodafone TV service issue. Service doesn't seem fit for purpose.

So far:

Issue only ever occurs when switching from one VFTV stream to another, or back from watching a Netflix stream to VFTV. Never mid programme, which would be more expected for an actual internet issue.

Non VFTV devices are all internet connected OK, with no issues or interruptions.

Issue occurs throughout the day, more prevalent during evenings. We have the issue occur multiple times a day.

Netflix, lightbox, etc never affected. When issue occurs can always happily change to another streaming service such as Netflix or lightbox.

VFTV diagnostics never show an issue. Streaming bitrate reports as nothing (i.e. field blank in System Info | Streaming Bitrate. Self Diagnostics says "no problems detected with the service".

Problem usually resolved by removing power from VFTV unit and restarting. Occasionally this doesn't work and requires a second restart. Sometimes if we wait 10 minutes and change channel, service is restored.

We're using direct wired connection, tried multiple network cables, various switch ports, direct router connection etc. All networking gear is enterprise class, not consumer kit.

Pulling and reattaching network cable never resolves issue.

Have logged calls with Vodafone and followed all advice given. They've replaced the box but issue still occurring.

So, at this point He have and are paying for a service we can only use sometimes. It is unacceptable quality and unfit for purpose.

I'm happy to assist with troubleshooting this issue (I can see multiple connection failures to VF DNS etc originating from VFTV box through firewall logging) but there seems no way if getting this issuecescalated to someone that cares.

Nick
Posted from Samsung SM-N975F
Highlighted
Starter Poster

by SimonChambers Starter Poster
Message 4 of 15 (500 Views)

This has just started happening  to ours as well and we cant get out of it. tried hard reset and is not a internet issue

Help!

Highlighted
Starter Poster

by Nutta Starter Poster
Message 5 of 15 (491 Views)

Hi Simon,

I'm in communication with Grant from Vodafone on this issue, trying to get to the bottom of what the issue is. As a matter of interest, are you using the Vodafone supplied router? Is your Vodafone TV on wireless or a wired ethernet connection?

My connection is wired, but I'm not using the Vodafone router. I don't believe it's a local network issue, and internet seems fine (in fact, very good) for me too.

Cheers,

Nick

Highlighted
Starter Poster

Message 6 of 15 (459 Views)

Hi Nick

My VFBox connection is wired to the Vodafone router but is using wifi.. It doesnt affect the other internet streaming services as we can still get Netflix, Lighbox Youtube etc. Ive tried everything imaginable to get it going and it still hasnt reset itself. Has now been off now about 14 hours.

When you go into the guide it is greyed and it looks as though it is stuck in some recording which is weird as we havent got anything going..

Vodafone can you please help

Simon

Highlighted
Regular Poster

by Regular Poster MelBaker Regular Poster
Message 7 of 15 (448 Views)

I am using a VF Router (not on fibre) and have started having this issue within the last week.  Have never had an issue before.

Highlighted
Starter Poster

Message 8 of 15 (446 Views)

It happened yesterday to us at about 4pm and I cant get it back. It hasnt reset and ive checked everything run the diagnostics and it says no issues.

It seems the system has died yet I can get into the menu but you start anything from there and it comes up with the error message.  Frustrating and I cant ge tthrough to their helpdeak!!!!

Highlighted
Regular Poster

by Regular Poster AndrewCooper1 Regular Poster
Message 9 of 15 (271 Views)
Any update? Ive been battling this issue for over a year. Tried gen 1 and gen 2 boxes, on Samsung q6 TVs. Tried 3 different routers, cat 6 and different hdmi cables, tried direct and over splitter hdmi, tried different hdmi ports and different resolution. Any ideas? Next step is to look at hdmi management devices.
Posted from Samsung SM-G973F
Highlighted
Starter Poster

by Nutta Starter Poster
Message 10 of 15 (264 Views)

Are you getting the specific error "Vodafone TV cannot play the content as the connection is lost" in top right of your screen?

If so, this isn't an HDMI or TV connection issue, it's network related. Your VFTV box is losing connection to the content servers out on the internet. This may be your local network (e.g. router, wifi, etc.) but not in my case.

I presume if you restart the VFTV box it comes back online ok?

Stats
  • 14 Replies
  • 18w ago
  • 1 Kudo
  • 7 Contributors