Vodafone TV cannot play the content as the connection is lost

Highlighted
Regular Poster

Re: Vodafone TV cannot play the content as the connection is lost

by Regular Poster AndrewCooper1 Regular Poster
Message 11 of 20 (729 Views)
Yes that's the error im getting. Everything else is still connected to the net but the box doesn't think it is. Once I restart it once or twice it comes right.
Posted from Samsung SM-G973F
Highlighted
Starter Poster

by Validus Starter Poster
Message 12 of 20 (640 Views)

I'm now pretty sure it's a hardware based issue with overheating problems.

It's not the restarting which is fixing it, but rather a wait/delay of approx 10 minutes unplugged or in standby before retrying that does? No settings or anything else needs to be changed.

Can anyone else confirm this?

Highlighted
Starter Poster

by Russ Starter Poster
Message 13 of 20 (606 Views)

I've just joined the forum as a result of searching for solutions to this exact problem.

I have had VodafoneTV for just a few months since coming out of lockdown and everything was fine except for the occassional blip where a simple restart (not a full power down) was required e.g. problems with image.

But just the other day when changing channels I got the "... can not play content because the connection was lost" error. No amount of switching channels or restarting would fix until a full power down. After that all ok However this occurred again the following night and again last night. Up until last night a full power down resolved it but last night I did this several times with no success. Since I'd only in the same week made changes to my network I decided to fully test that, checked the cat6 cable to VTV was functioning correctly (I have a cable tester) and also plugged in a laptop to prove internet. All fine. Btw we are on the max fibre broadband plan. So I plugged the VTV back in and it decided to work again.

I am starting to think as per last poster that it's heat related. My VTV box is housed in a closed cabinet with air flow at the back. We have a reasonable amount of other kit housed there e.g. Sonos boxes plus a freeview box which I have as a backup (useful in this case sadly!). So can be a bit warm in there. Occassionally in summer I would have the door ajar just for a bit more airflow. Anyway, last wee while, since it's winter I've had the door closed but weather has been quite warm so am wondering whether things have got too hot for the VTV box.

I will monitor over the coming nights and report back.

Has anyone had any joy reporting this to the techheads at Vodafone?

Highlighted
Starter Poster

by Validus Starter Poster
Message 14 of 20 (583 Views)

Well I've finally fixed the problem...

And that was to get rid of Vodafone TV and replace it with a Nvidia Shield Pro instead. An actual quality product which works without any hardware issues. Now I have a solid wifi connect from the very same router, without any dropouts or overheating, etc. Plus I can still use IPTV if desired.

Highlighted
Starter Poster

by Russ Starter Poster
Message 15 of 20 (571 Views)

Hi @Validus , so I assume the Nvidia Shield is simply a streaming device for internet content? meaning it wouldn't be able to stream Sky Sport that I currently have on my VodafoneTV?

Today I am investigating whether the VTV issue is that it doesn't like routers other than the supplied Huawei HG659. In checking back the evidence the timing of the issues aligns quite closely to when I replaced my HG659 with a Ubiquiti UniFi USG router. Today I have out the HG659 back and will monitor and report back.

Highlighted
Starter Poster

by Russ Starter Poster
Message 16 of 20 (539 Views)

Reporting back on my investigations.

On Tue 2 days ago I put back the HG659 and monitored throughout day and evening and surprise, surprise the issue of changing channel and receiving "... can not play content because connection was lost" no longer occurred.

So definitely for me the issue must be with my USG router. I also noted that through the 3 days I was running the USG, the logs showed the VTV regularly disconnecting then reconnecting. Perhaps after a disconnect from that point on it would no longer handle a channel change.

Further investigationing led me towards ensuring IGMP is enabled on my USG. Couldn't find anything specific to this in config other than a toggle switch for IGMP Snooping. I turned that on and retested running with the USG through Wed (5 Aug). Seemed to be working as I had VTV on for many hours and occassionally I'd channel switch and all ok. I thought I'd cracked it! However to much chagrin, around 8pm I changed channels and the error occurred! Aaarrrggghhh!

So have swapped back the HG659 and not quite sure where to go from here.

Some reading today suggests that the latest VTV boxes (which I have) don't actually use IGMP but not sure if that's correct?

Anyway, be grateful if anyone has had better luck.

Highlighted
Starter Poster

by jaimzm Starter Poster
Message 17 of 20 (525 Views)

This has started happening to us once or twice per evening. It's highly frustrating. None of our other devices are having any trouble connecting to the Internet.

Highlighted
Starter Poster

by Russ Starter Poster
Message 18 of 20 (509 Views)
Are you using Vodafone’s router? I have the Huawei HG659 and VTV is not misbehaving with this particular error with it. However when i use the new router I bought, a UniFi USG, the problem occurs.
I think it’s IGMP related but am not savvy enough yet to figure out.
If you’re using Voda supplied router then that’s interesting and you should report it to them and let us know their response.
Posted from Apple iPhone
Highlighted
Starter Poster

by jaimzm Starter Poster
Message 19 of 20 (494 Views)

I am using the router supplied by Vodafone.

My previous experience suggests that bearing with the problem is easier than trying to contact support and get an actual resolution. I'll see how much it irritates me over the next week or so.

Highlighted
New Poster

by Drip369 New Poster
Message 20 of 20 (212 Views)

I have the same problem and Vodafone have not been any help. I did joke to  them the other day and say I would pay an I.T tech to come out to sort it out for them.... there response was that it was probably a good idea, lol.

Anyway from what I can work out so far that the problem seems to be around if you are using any other router other than the Vodafone one you will run into probelms with settings. I have an Asus AC68U and it has config for IPTV but I can't find anyone who knows what those settings should be. You would think Vodafone would have some idea what these should be be so their product would work.

Stats
  • 19 Replies
  • 34w ago
  • 1 Kudo
  • 9 Contributors