Vodafone TV & Wifi options

Starter Poster

Vodafone TV & Wifi options

by BenChapman Starter Poster
Message 1 of 15 (1,888 Views)

I have just moved house and my fibre router is in my (attached) garage. 

I get poor / little wifi signal at the other end of the house. 

I currently have my Vodafone TV box connected via Vodafone supplied extender in bridge mode to the router. 

It seems to work well. 

However that doesnt solve the general WIFI at the other end of the house. Can I use the VF Wifi extender in extender mode with Voda TV? Or does it have to be bridge mode.

Also has anyone used things liek Google WiFI or Netgear Orbi with Voda TV with any success. 
I knwo the Orbi has a dedicated backhaul channel so I figure that would work well, but its quite pricey

Frequent Poster

Re: Vodafone TV & Wifi options

by Frequent Poster Laurence1979 Frequent Poster
Message 2 of 15 (1,878 Views)

I had major issues with my STB losing or killing the connection to the extender so know I have an Orbi RBK23 system, got rid of the extender, works really well so far had it for about a month saw you could get them for $399 on the Black Friday sales

definitely good not having to worry about which network you're on and also has a good app to manage connections

cheers

Starter Poster

[ Edited ]
Message 3 of 15 (1,876 Views)

Thanks for that. So the RBK23 does the trick then. I was wondering if the RBK50 would be overkill

Frequent Poster

Message 4 of 15 (1,872 Views)

yeah I was also in the mind that bigger is better but... mesh is fairly new tech and I saw there are some nice systems coming out in the states we can't get here so bite the bullet or wait?

I bit a smaller bullet

Smiley Tongue

Highlighted
Starter Poster

Message 5 of 15 (1,721 Views)

Sounds like the RBK23 is the way to go. I have a question about them and connecting fixed devices (in this case Vodafone TV box which requires an ethernet connection. 

I have had a play with the Vodafone supplied extenders. When connect the extender to the Vodafone TV box (ethernet) it goes into bridge mode and stops acting as a AP for WIFI. Unplug it and it becomes a WIFI extender again. 

So my question is, can a Netgear unit connect a wired device and act as WIFI AP point at the same time.

also if anyone has connected VFTV to the netgear, is there anything in particular you need to configure. 

Frequent Poster

Message 6 of 15 (1,708 Views)

The RBK23 satilites have 2 ethernet ports on them that will connect you to the wifi mesh network, no other config required

its an easy system, 1 - SSID for the whole network, each orbi module has 2 ethernet ports (3 modules in the kit) so you can connect non wifi enabled device to this. I've got one of mine to a network switch then to the VF STB, AV receiver, xbox, TV 

hope this helps

cheers

Frequent Poster

by Frequent Poster AaronSmithson76 Frequent Poster
Message 7 of 15 (1,698 Views)

Afternoon Ben,

What I have done is set up Orbi up as an AP, it comes default as a Router. 

Change the settings so it is an AP. There is a help file. but if you get stuck give me a buzz.

Plug the main unit (it is labeled router) and have a WAN out to your normal Fibre Router.

Then the satellite will talk to the main unit. When the link is all up then plug the Vodafone TV unit into one of the Ethernet ports on the Orbi Satellite and you should be away laughing.

Although if you do not need 2 satellites to go for the RBK50 the Wireless Uplink between the units is faster.

Hope this helps: https://kb.netgear.com/000038220/Which-Orbi-WiFi-System-is-best-for-me

Frequent Poster

Message 8 of 15 (1,766 Views)

I have the RBK50 myself. It is a beast. I thought maybe I should have gone for the RBK23 with the extra satelitte. But I can tell you that I can sit in my neighbours spa pool and still get full speed Smiley Wink

I am thinking about buying the RBK23 for a family member, just give them the Router and 1 satelitte, keep one satelitte for myself and have it in my garage to do the backyard, I think then I can be at a mates place across the creek and still get good coverage Smiley Wink

Starter Poster

by geogeo Starter Poster
Message 9 of 15 (1,005 Views)

Hi,

I've jsut bought a RBK23 system after all the rave reviews (not just on this board) but I can't get the router to connect to the internet. All plugged up to the Chorus modem (exactly where the HG659 was plugged in) but it's not connecting. I presume it should just work. Any ideas?

Frequent Poster

Message 10 of 15 (998 Views)

geogeo.

For my RBK I plugged the router unit into my Ultrahub (yours HG659) and just converted it to run in AP mode (then disabled the WIFI on my Vodafone Supplied Router

Stats
  • 14 Replies
  • 50w ago
  • 0 Kudos
  • 6 Contributors