Vodafone TV - Unlimited Fibre or can it use restricted Fibre?

Starter Poster
Accepted Solution

Vodafone TV - Unlimited Fibre or can it use restricted Fibre?

by JulieRS Starter Poster
Message 1 of 9 (177 Views)

I have spent more than an hour trying to find the answer to a very simple question: Can Vodafone TV be used with a limited or restricted fibre plan - that is, does it have to be an UNLIMITED plan? If so, why? In other words, does it chew through the data very quickly unlike other streaming services? 

I need to know the answer to this BEFORE I consider buying. I am not a Vodafone customer. I do not have SKY and do not intend to buy SKY. 

I am hoping that somebody can help me please Smiley Happy

Thank you.

Retired Staff

Re: Vodafone TV - Unlimited Fibre or can it use restricted Fibre?

by johnr Retired Staff
Message 2 of 9 (167 Views)
Yes it can be used on a capped plan! How would VodafoneNZ know what your data cap is on another ISP?

Just watch that usage

Ex VodafoneNZ staff member 17+ years and if you want real help from real people check out www.geekzone.co.nz
Posted from Samsung SM-G965F
Highlighted
Staff

by Staff grantt Staff
Message 3 of 9 (156 Views)

Hi @JulieRS 

Yes, you can certainly use Vodafone TV on a capped plan.  But it is important to note as the service is constantly streaming there is the risk of blowing your data cap costing you additional bandwidth fees from your internet provider.

It's recommended to use Vodafone TV on a internet plan that has unlimited bandwidth/usage or you could end up with a nasty bill at the end of the month from your internet provider.

I hope this helps.

Cheers,

Grant

I work in Media Operations.

Please note that I am not a part of the social media team and help out on my own time where possible.
Starter Poster

Message 4 of 9 (148 Views)

Thank you for that answer. Very helpful. I already watch FreeviewPlus which streams content only when you want to watch something, and that, combined with lots of other devices uses almost 20% of my plan, which means heaps of unused data. Fortunately, this accummulates and doesn't disappear each month, so it probably wouldn't be too much of an issue. However, if I am understanding your reply correctly, the user does not appear to be in control of how much data Vodafone TV chews through, which is something I do not want. So, I think it would be better for me to stick to more traditional methods - apps on other devices Smiley Happy 

Staff

by Staff HamishSansom Staff
Message 5 of 9 (131 Views)

Hi, Vodafone TV does tend to use more data than other streaming services because it is streaming live TV whenever it is on a live channel, hence the reason for the unlimited plan recommendation.  But, yes, you can manage the usage by making sure you switch it off at the end of each day.

Starter Poster

Message 6 of 9 (123 Views)

Thank you for clarifying that. This is very important information that should be part of the information (and not in small print either) that Vodafone TV shares with  all potential consumers. I am glad that I did not just read through the nice fluffly promo stuff on the Vodofone TV page and take it  at face value, because I could have paid good money for something that is totally inappropriate for my intended usage, and which could have led me into unexpected debt. This information  -  that is - how this actually works and how data hungry it is, should be included on all promotional material for Vodafone TV. People have a right to know what they are buying into, and concealing this information is dishonest.

So thank you again, for clarifying this. I am so glad I asked this question because otherwise I probably would have bought it and would have been absolutely horrified at  the rate my data was disappearing. It would then be sitting on a shelf somewhere collecting dust.

Frequent Poster

by Frequent Poster JamRam Frequent Poster
Message 7 of 9 (86 Views)

Technically there is nothing stopping Vodafone TV from working on a capped fibre plan. That being said I wouldn't recommend it. Streaming and HD channel at the top bit rate will take 6mbps. Vodafone TV or not I would recommend you look at getting an unlimited fibre plan.

Starter Poster

Message 8 of 9 (78 Views)

Hi JamRam, thank you very much for your reply. It is good to know how much data it consumes. As I said in a previous post, I have carry over data to burn as I only use less than 20% of my data allowance each month Smiley Happy So I have absolutely no need to go unlimited - I'm not about to pay for more data that I am not going to use, lol. And I do not have or want Sky either.

I have decided not to waste money on buying something that is totally unsuitable for my use - I am happy to carry on with my DISH TV that has freeviewplus. I have more than enough devices to run Netflix, Lightbox, Neon, etc and strream content should I wish to subscribe - and there's nothing wrong with a laptop, an HDMI cable, and a TV if I get desperate for the big screen experience Smiley Happy

Frequent Poster

by Frequent Poster JamRam Frequent Poster
Message 9 of 9 (75 Views)
Makes sense 👍
Posted from Apple iPhone
Stats
  • 8 Replies
  • 3w ago
  • 0 Kudos
  • 5 Contributors