Vodafone TV Gen2 issues & quirks

Starter Poster
Accepted Solution

Vodafone TV Gen2 issues & quirks

by TaylorJamesBarr Starter Poster
Message 1 of 36 (777 Views)

I bought the latest Gen2 Vodafone TV the other day and have been exploring it, but come across a few issues and quirks. Has anyone else experienced these?

Issues:

• If a show/movie is paused on Lightbox for a considerable length (30+ mins), resuming the show does not deliver any audio. Even when exiting that app, live TV and other apps have no sound until the unit is rebooted.
  • When in the main menu, I select Continue Judge Judy, and Tagata Pasifika appears. This also happens when I search for Judge Judy in the guide. See video example here. When I try to record Judge Judy, Tagata Pasifika also shows in scheduled recordings.
  • The sound effects on the YouTube app are distorted when moving between menu items. Compare this to a Smart TV and you will be able to notice that they are considerably different, with VTV sounding terrible.

Quirks/Questions:

• The remote appears to have an inbuilt microphone (and button to match), but this just opens the search. Will this have voice search in the future?
  • The box doesn't appear to have automatic standby - is that planned?
  • Is CEC planned?
  • I've noticed when watching TVNZ 1 in Auckland, I am getting ads for Christchurch-based businesses, so it seems like I am getting a Christchurch feed with local ads.
  • On the VTV portal, I cannot seem to add another STB. Is that intentional or an error? I only get the option to add a mobile device (coming soon).

Screen Shot 2019-09-27 at 5.30.36 PM.png

If anyone can answer any of these questions, or if VF can respond, that'd be great!

Frequent Poster

Re: Vodafone TV Gen2 issues & quirks

by Frequent Poster GarethCollins Frequent Poster
Message 2 of 36 (775 Views)

Interesting - glad the new box has some of the faults the existing one has, makes me feel a bit better for the thousands lumbered with the lemon and no VF efforts to fix the issues!!

Re:  This:  "When in the main menu, I select Continue Judge Judy, and Tagata Pasifika appears. This also happens when I search for Judge Judy in the guide. See video example here. When I try to record Judge Judy, Tagata Pasifika also shows in scheduled recordings."

This is one of the many many issues we have too on what I guess they call "Gen1", the beta product.  Contacted VF about this.  They gave me the following advice on it and what they were doing to sort it.... :   "                ".

What my wife found after some considerable frustration and time wasting, was that it happens quite a bit, and sometimes, if you are lucky, the show that is misplaced can be found.  Using your example, Judge Judy, you really need to search under Tagata Pasifika for your Judge Judy episode and it hopefully may be there, and if you are also then wanting to watch Tagata Pasifika, then go to Judge Judy in the menu lineups.  

BTW, I am jealous at how fast your box works wow....we have fastest internet that VF gives apparently.....our box takes 5 to 20 seconds each button click......usually 3 to 5 minutes to select a show to play by time pauses/lags are taken into account!!!

Starter Poster

Message 3 of 36 (745 Views)

I tried your tip to search for Tagata Pasifika, but that actually shows up the correct results. Seems I can't watch Judge Judy no matter what I try.

Frequent Poster

by Frequent Poster dbatten Frequent Poster
Message 4 of 36 (732 Views)

Greetings

This issue is nothing to do-with whether your box is Gen 1 or Gen 2. If you us the app (which by the way is generally stable and a great way of 'recording' or 'adding to Watch list' by just going 'search' instead of trawling through channels etc.)  the same result emerges - search for 'Judge Judy' and you get Tangata Pasifica'.

This appears to be a Vodafone programming / link thing - lets see if it can be fixed @HamishSansom @grantt

regards db

Retired Staff

by johnr Retired Staff
Message 5 of 36 (769 Views)
Lots of information is on geekzone and the product owner that works for VodafoneNZ is answering questions
Ex VodafoneNZ staff member 17+ years and if you want real help from real people check out www.geekzone.co.nz
Posted from Samsung SM-G965F
Regular Poster

by Regular Poster PerryBraiden Regular Poster
Message 6 of 36 (750 Views)

Be nice if VF staff stuck to firstly answering the many outstanding questions on their own companies helpboard rather than some geek website for techies as not all of their customers are techies....I mean it is headed with this "Looking for help? You've come to the right place! Vodafone Ninjas and other
Community members are here to answer your questions and talk about
mobiles, broadband and TV – everything Vodafone!"

Same applies to any professional company running their own community board and help forumso not singling out VF

Frequent Poster

by Frequent Poster chch_mike Frequent Poster
Message 7 of 36 (677 Views)

@PerryBraiden wrote:

Be nice if VF staff stuck to firstly answering the many outstanding questions on their own companies helpboard rather than some geek website for techies as not all of their customers are techies....I mean it is headed with this "Looking for help? You've come to the right place! Vodafone Ninjas and other
Community members are here to answer your questions and talk about
mobiles, broadband and TV – everything Vodafone!"

Same applies to any professional company running their own community board and help forumso not singling out VF

I completely agree with you!

Highlighted
Retired Staff

by johnr Retired Staff
Message 8 of 36 (707 Views)
Geekzone is not just for geeks it's mainly used for tech savvy people to help non technical people

But agree VodafoneNZ staff should be more active on the VodafoneNZ community
Ex VodafoneNZ staff member 17+ years and if you want real help from real people check out www.geekzone.co.nz
Posted from Samsung SM-G965F
Starter Poster

Message 9 of 36 (693 Views)

If a show/movie is paused on Lightbox for a considerable length (30+ mins), resuming the show does not deliver any audio. Even when exiting that app, live TV and other apps have no sound until the unit is rebooted.

Update: It's not just Lightbox. NEON does the same.

Frequent Poster

by Frequent Poster GarethCollins Frequent Poster
Message 10 of 36 (691 Views)

Having been jealous of how fast your lightning fast new box works I just decided to also film mine and put on youtube - will do that shortly....so.....after nearly TWO MINUTES I had managed to click Menu, go up one item to "recordings" click recordings, scroll five recorded items over....along with the error messages it flashes....and now it is stuck ten minutes later.

STILL waiting on VF to answer why it does that and resolve - it's so bad I cannot even watch any recorded shows unless I spend an hour prep time to actually find an episode.

Also, new fault - WHY is this stupid beta box randomly recording shows I have never ever watched before and would never watch??  I asked my cat and my dog, both denied that they record shows when I am not watching....

Stats
  • 35 Replies
  • 7w ago
  • 5 Kudos
  • 11 Contributors