Vodafone TV Gen 2 Wifi problems

Highlighted
Starter Poster

Vodafone TV Gen 2 Wifi problems

by Tats Starter Poster
Message 1 of 4 (616 Views)

Hi all,

I'm having problems with my VFTV gen2 wifi connection and unfortunately I can't hardwire it to a router/AP without a long Cat6 (10m+).

Connection is repeatedly freezing / dropping out just on the VFTV. It doesn't matter if its TV, Lightbox, or Netflix via the VFTV box. They are all great when we switch to Netfix etc on the smart TV / laptop with wifi.

I'm running VF VDSL (50+ down, 20+ up) with a HG659 router/modem (wifi off) into a Netgear Orbi Router (AP mode) with the Orbi satellite upstairs. I've setup static IPs in the router and manually setup the network settings in the VFTV to match. I've also adjusted the 5GHz channel to a clear one but still having problems. Orbi is at the opposite end of the same room as the TV/VFTV

We've had the box for a few months and only started using it in anger recently, so probably won't be able to return it. So any suggestions would be gratefully appreciated. 

Cheers

Highlighted
Frequent Poster

Re: Vodafone TV Gen 2 Wifi problems

by Frequent Poster Topes Frequent Poster
Message 2 of 4 (577 Views)

Hi Tats

You'll need to go back to basics to isloate the problem first to rule out your networking connectivity with your custom setup.

1.  Check that the software is up to date on the VTV

2.  Turn on the native Wi-Fi on the Vodafone Router and connect the VTV directly to that to replicate the problem.

Appreicate based on your post that the distance between the VF Router and the Vtv might be too long, but you have to start with that.

You sound like you've got experience with networking, so getting a hold of a long ethernet cable to connect direct from the VF router to the VTV temporarily to see if this replicates the issue is also a valid way to test this connection.

I'm using Unifi AP's, Security Gateway / Router, DHCP and are a non VF Broadband customer and it works well this way.

Let us know how you go.

Cheers

Topes

Highlighted
Starter Poster

by Tats Starter Poster
Message 3 of 4 (574 Views)

Hi Topes,
Thanks for the reply. All the hardware has the latest firmware, so I've ruled that out. I've tried moving the 2.4 and 5 GHz channels (based on Netspot and Mac Wi-Fi diagnostics) and that has improved it a little. However, we are in a busy area and I'm still getting drop outs and freezes though. Even though we have an excellent signal strength/SNR

I've got some Cat6 on the way and will hardwire it eventually. We're moving shortly and it will definitely be hardwired there.

The main reason we bought the box was that is a Wi-Fi device. So we're very disappointed it’s a bit flaky on that front. The Samsung TV or any other device do not have problems with the wifi connection

Cheers

Tats

Highlighted
Frequent Poster

by Frequent Poster Topes Frequent Poster
Message 4 of 4 (570 Views)

Sweet as Tats

I'd still recommend cabling and direct Wi-Fi to VF router, in current location as an isolation test just to completely take out your networking setup out of the equation.

Hopefully your new home will be less noisy, I've got good Wi-Fi stability and VTV and streaming at 6Mbps on TVNZ.  We were avid Tivo users from beginning to end and VTV is the closest experience we have got to it plus extras with the available Apps.

Post Tivo we were just watching TV On Demand through Apple TV which was good, but didn't have all content or channels. (Prime, Choice).

VTV gave the best of most worlds (I can see me using Sky on and off) and I still use Apple TV for Plex, Disney etc.

Good luck with the move.

Cheers

Topes

Stats
  • 3 Replies
  • 42w ago
  • 0 Kudos
  • 2 Contributors