Vodafone TV Connection issues

Highlighted
Starter Poster

Vodafone TV Connection issues

by JohnEmery Starter Poster
Message 1 of 17 (845 Views)

I have Vodafone TV (Gen 1) and overall am enjoying it.

One problem I do have since moving to a new house is my wifi connection to the TV box. The modem is in one room and TV in another. I am using the Vodafone wifi extenders and the modem and TV are about 7 metres and 1 wall apart.

The connection will usually work for an evening but when I turn on the Vodafone TV box the next day, the connection has dropped. The only reliable way to get it going again is to repower the wifi extender. I even have to repower both extender and Vodafone TV sometimes.

Before I contact an electrician to run ethernet cabling through from one room to the other - which should fix the issue as it worked in the old house - I was wondering if there are other things I could try.

A bit annoying as I had to pay for the wifi extenders and they have not fixed the issue.

Thanks 

John

Highlighted
Staff

Re: Vodafone TV Connection issues

by Staff HamishSansom Staff
Message 2 of 17 (821 Views)

Hi @JohnEmery 

There are some things you can try.  Can you confirm what type of Wi-Fi extenders/boosters you have.  Are they the type described in the attached?...

Highlighted
Starter Poster

Message 3 of 17 (818 Views)

Yes those are the wifi extenders I am using.

Highlighted
Staff

Message 4 of 17 (816 Views)

Ok, are you operating them in "bridge mode" as described in the setup guide?

Highlighted
Starter Poster

Message 5 of 17 (810 Views)

Yes, I'm using the bridging mode

Highlighted
Staff

Message 6 of 17 (802 Views)

OK, there is an option that I find can improve things significantly by moving away from bridge mode (this was recommended previously, but the reason for this has now disappeard)

I recommend you change the setup so that you set up the Wi-Fi extender in "Station mode" 

1. Disconnect / remove the extender that is plugged into your modem/router.   (use this as a booster or sell on Trademe!) 

2. Make sure the other extender that is plugged into your VTV is set to "Station" (small switch above the ethernet port)

3. Press the WPS button on both the extender and your router so that the extender connects to your home Wi-Fi (wifi light should be green on the extender)

4. Your VTV should now be connected via the extender directly to your home Wi-Fi (and not via a bridge connection).

In this mode your extender is simply a standard Wi-Fi station connected to your home Wi-Fi network.  This is more reliable in my experience and worth a try.

Let me know how you go.

Hamish 

Highlighted
Starter Poster

by billite Starter Poster
Message 7 of 17 (751 Views)

I get the same drop out as above as well as black screen that is only fixed by reboot of units and extender, My extenders are set to Station mode and have worked fine until the update. Clearly this firmware update has not been tested well enough.

Highlighted
Staff

Message 8 of 17 (561 Views)

Hi @billite, if you're still having issues please DM me your contact details and we'll sort it out for you.

Regards

Hamish

Highlighted
Starter Poster

by MarkFisher Starter Poster
Message 9 of 17 (750 Views)

Hi Hamish, I’m afraid that didn’t work. It wouldn’t connect to the router. My router doesn’t have a WPS light so I couldn’t see it flashing have had to go back to the bridge set up. 

Posted from Apple iPad
Highlighted
Starter Poster

by MarkFisher Starter Poster
Message 10 of 17 (632 Views)

https://community.vodafone.co.nz/t5/user/viewprofilepage/user-id/49399,

Hi Hamish, any other ideas? Or do I need to get another modem sorted?

Posted from Apple iPad
Stats
  • 16 Replies
  • 26w ago
  • 2 Kudos
  • 4 Contributors