Vodafone FTV SET Top Box

Starter Poster
Accepted Solution

Vodafone FTV SET Top Box

by Rollova Starter Poster
Message 1 of 10 (522 Views)

Hi .

I renewed my Vodafone contract a few months ago and I have now been sent this FTV box to replace my old T box.

I was not made aware Vodafone was replacing the old T Box with this FTV Top box when I renewed my contract .

The T box is working Ok  and after having a look at the FTV Box and what it promises to do , I am skeptical about its reliability and doing what it says it does. I gave up long ago ringing the Vodafone Help desk for the obvious reasons and was communicating by email but Vodafone have now stopped this as well.

Should I give up my old T Box which apart from needing the odd reboot , has worked 99% of the time for the new FTV Set Top Box?

Do I have a choice if I do not want to change over - as I said previously I was not made aware when I renewed my contract this was going to happen.

Thanks

Regular Poster

Re: Vodafone FTV SET Top Box

by Regular Poster PerryBraiden Regular Poster
Message 2 of 10 (482 Views)

Thoroughly recommend you do a bit of looking around on this forum to check out just how many headaches you will get with the new boxes from VF.  They are not a patch on the old T-Boxes and are really not fit for purpose.

Even the CEO of Vodafone, Jason Paris has had to admit they are a junk product.  I know FairGo is looking at a follow up story on them and that there are many threads elsewhere with literally hundreds of unhappy consumers lumbered with them.

Most of the faults queried are not even bothered with answers on this forum by VF staff - presumably as they have no answers because they answer basic ones or ones with potential new customers pretty danged fast!

Highlighted
Starter Poster

by Rollova Starter Poster
Message 3 of 10 (459 Views)

Thanks for that information Perry

I will follow your advice and  stick to my old T box .

Contributor

[ Edited ]
by Contributor Gaffer Contributor
Message 4 of 10 (430 Views)

@PerryBraiden wrote:

Thoroughly recommend you do a bit of looking around on this forum to check out just how many headaches you will get with the new boxes from VF.  They are not a patch on the old T-Boxes and are really not fit for purpose.

Even the CEO of Vodafone, Jason Paris has had to admit they are a junk product. 

That comment is interesting. Can you give a link to this statement please?. I note on another site that most are very happy with the new Gen2 STB.

Frequent Poster

by Frequent Poster GarethCollins Frequent Poster
Message 5 of 10 (421 Views)

It is a herald paid link, it is available on this forum where someone pasted it that Paris had stated the current box we all have issues with was "more of a beta product" etc.  

I am happy to see that others might be happy with new Gen2 STB - I assume that is the new one sold for $179.....I can assure you that myself and MANY MANY MANY others are NOT happy with our current STB we got lumbered with and I personally (and also know I am not alone here) am more than annoyed that VF has issued a new box yet fails to remedy the ones we got stuck with.  THAT is bad customer service.....did ask on this forum if a VF employee could shed some light on how they are going to handle that - no surprise at no response.  What sort of company leaves tons of users with a dog and then sells an improved one without first fixing the current poor souls issues by swapping their boxes out and/or giving compensation OR putting out an update that actually fixes the issues we all suffer from?

Bad form in my book, bad bad form!

Frequent Poster

Message 6 of 10 (419 Views)

Here is part of that news article: 

Coming in as Mr Fixit, Paris conceded first-generation Vodafone TV was released "too early". In hindsight, it was more of a "beta" or trial version.

Now, Vodafone is releasing its second-generation Vodafone TV unit ($179), which is being officially launched in September but should see a soft-launch this week.

So, like some are asking - what is going to be done for the poor "beta" or "trial version" users?  Do we just have to suck it up buttercup because Vodafone don't care and are busy making up new "names" for their customer service teams like X-Men or Ninja or whatever when all we want is just Mr Joe or Mrs Jo Bloggs the good old Cust Serv rep who CAN put things right like LV Martin used to do?

BTW as a customer who has been so from the year dot - KCL aka Kapiti Cables Limited who eventually got us to Vodafone TV, when they rolled our their "beta" or "trial" version, it was free for users and they used our feedback to fix and make a wonderful product that became the "T-Box" ultimately.....THAT is how you beta test....not charge poor souls hundreds of $$$  a month and pretend constantly that all those issues are non-existent or that you are pretending to work on, like you know, the visual fast forward WITH pictures that was promised by July at the latest!

Starter Poster

by Dave_McLean Starter Poster
Message 7 of 10 (411 Views)

Maybe have a read of the discussions on Geekzone where the Vodafone response to customer queries is excellent and you will find the answers to your questions. But if you go there please try to treat them courteously or they will go away.

Contributor

by Contributor JamRam Contributor
Message 8 of 10 (228 Views)

Sorry, I'm new to the forum so I don'y know what your specific issues are. Can you let me know so I can comment better?

With regards to the visual fast forward/rewind, we have this working in the lab for catch up, recordings and VOD but not for live and restart. We were very much let down here by our video pipe vendor and now have to do a major upgrade to get to a new version that supports this properly. Last time we upgraded these components we caused freezing video & audio so we are seeking assurances from them that this will go as planned.

Right now, pre-production has been upgraded and tested and we are waiting for Rugby World Cup to end before we can continue any work on this.

I have a lot of faith in Jason Paris. I see many positive changes, even if all the results aren't immediately apparent to everyone

Frequent Poster

Message 9 of 10 (221 Views)

Well, some of our significant issues are as follows:

Visual fast forward - promised this in writing by Vodafone that it would be delivered in July 2019.

Lagging Remote/box - by lagging I mean this - taking five minutes to click menu button, up once to My TV, Click OK, Click Down twice to "recordings" and click right 3 times to get to the third recorded show (gave up after that).....I recorded it on phone last night - five minutes to get just that far.....so you are talking about half an hour just to find a show potentially to watch, if the whole box does not freeze up.

Error messages galore such as:  ! No Internet Detected...Please check all cables etc.  or Network Configuration Reading Failure.  Nework IP or SR002:  Sorry there was a problem scheduling a series recording please try again later, or Cannot connect to servef or connection lost, or SC014 Sorry, there was a problem connecting to the service.  Please check your internet connection, plus about two dozen other messages which I won't add here.

An extended period where we had complete loss of ALL services once the box packed up the whole kit and kaboodle went down every few nights for up to four hours plus.....hasn't happened a few weeks now, touch wood.

An extended period where our My TV menu said we had no shows recorded at all, so could not watch anything at all.

It is currently randomly recording shows we have never watched or are not on record at all....for example Bobby Flay Grill something....NCIS LA, Hawaii 5-0 all show on one of our two boxes in fact it has been showing as NCIS and Hawaii 5-0 on lounge one for three days solid now 24/7

Also, see attached pic - this one is very frustrating - shows that are not where they should be....there are heaps like it.  The one I show for example is Wentworth, but you will it shows a pic of Magnum PI, and the show is a magnum pi show....that happens all over.

WP_20190621_002.jpg

These are just some of my current ones off top of my head.  I have spent a year emailing the CEO, getting palmed off to a cust serv rep who said hey be glad we don't charge you for VF's time fixing VF faults....got that in writing unbelievably....and these issues do not include many others we have had not the fibs we were told about this being better than the T-Box we had.  I only gave these up because I had a quintuple bypass and told by cardio surgeon to convalesce and NOT stress AT ALL.  So you can imagine my upsetness at VF's ineptitude at dealing with any issues raised, let alone the mis-sell, and how frustrating it is for me to sit for hours trying to get the box to work just to watch a show.  VF has seriously seriously stressed me over time with this, whether it be 70+ minutes on hold for the umpteenth time for the constant fob offs and false promises.  I'm really shocked they then bypass existing customers, admit it is a beta product, really not fit for purpose, and leave them hanging whilst flogging a newer version off to unsuspecting customers.  Really really poor form.  Excuse the rant!  All I wanted was a box that did 90% of what was promised so I could recover my health and if I had an issue, a company that gave a monkeys and answered their phones within say 10 minutes, not hours, and actually worked to resolve issues rather than stringing people along.  And sorry, but Jason Paris is WELL aware of my parituclar issues, he has done nothing about it in a year....so I have zero faith in him.  I do know his thing is to make a new Ninja team, the X-Men I think or something like that, but that is just laughable, and outsourcing your call centre to people we can't understand and are not empowered to deal with stuff, that is not a good move, nor is making it now that you cannot get stores to help in person, as they tell me now, Jason requires them to call the same call centres you do whereas in the past they could cut through to the right teams to sort issues.  Jason then decided to not fix current TV box users issues and ignore them whilst putting a new model out to non-VF customers.  I've been a senior manager in a larger company than VF - over 8000 employees - and we never treated customers like that, ever.

Starter Poster

by disappointed Starter Poster
Message 10 of 10 (353 Views)

I was offered the new box but after reading reviews refused it and kept my contract with the T box.

Stats
  • 9 Replies
  • 8w ago
  • 1 Kudo
  • 7 Contributors