Unusable TV Box

Highlighted
Starter Poster

Unusable TV Box

by PdH99 Starter Poster
Message 1 of 4 (571 Views)

My Vodafone TV box is not fit for purpose. Does anyone else have the following problems;

1. Everytime I change channel it turns off

2. At random times, while viewing, it just turns off

3. To complete a software update it goes into a cycle of updating at least 4 (or more times), and the last few days this i happening everytime I turn the box on.

Only plus is that it works on the iphone/ipad, but the box is frankly not fit for purpose.

Highlighted
Starter Poster

Re: Unusable TV Box

by Validus Starter Poster
Message 2 of 4 (94 Views)

It's just an unstable piece of annoying hardware most of the time. Mostly likely due to Wifi.

Sometimes I'm watching a tv show or movie, it will just decide to black out the tv screen and glow a white light on it.

Other times it will display "Can not connect to Vodafone TV" and have Wifi issues connecting.

In both of those cases, I just have to turn it off and wait 10 minutes or so, then turn it back up and it decides it's fine again.

Yet my Wifi Router is one of the most high-end gaming routers, with Fiber, Tri-band Wifi (2.4GHz, 5Ghz and another 5Ghz), MU-MIMO, SmartBeam, etc. Just located in the next room across from it, a short distances away.

Highlighted
Starter Poster

Message 3 of 4 (91 Views)

After reading around, one solution might be changing the Vodafone TV Box's network settings to manual (rather than auto) and setting the DNS to vodafone's own, plus giving it a static IP Address. So I'm going to try that and see if it remains more stable. So far, Netflix is loading better and faster, but too soon to tell yet.

Setting the DNS was mentioned on:

https://community.vodafone.co.nz/t5/Vodafone-TV-SKY/Cannot-connect-to-server-or-connection-lost/td-p...

Highlighted
Starter Poster

Message 4 of 4 (59 Views)

Just an update towards this, using the Vodafone DNS settings has clearly improved the connection performance and stability. I haven't had a dropout like before.

It might be an issue with other ISPs using different DNS. No idea why? Another idea is shared internet connections might be affecting it, if others are also using internet bandwidth at the same time if you have a capped max, in which case QoS (Quality of Service) setup on the router could help there to give it the highest priorty.

Stats
  • 3 Replies
  • 1y ago
  • 0 Kudos
  • 2 Contributors