Setting up two vodafone tv boxes.

Starter Poster

Setting up two vodafone tv boxes.

by scotty38 Starter Poster
Message 1 of 5 (195 Views)

I am helping a friend setting up two new Vodafone tv boxes. They have two tv's, each in different rooms, previously connected with coaxial cable.  Now with new broadband plan and new gen Vodafone boxes, only one tv is near router and able to be connected via ethernet cable. I have connected this one successfuly.  The problem is that the other remote tv will not connect wirelessly to router. The box connection menu highlights the ethernet port, but obviously will not connect. Under advanced settings it asks for a manual setup with IP address.subnet mask,and Default gateway. I dont know how to find these setting out.  If i can find them, is this likely to work.

If there is some bright spark out there who know if this is the way to go, I would appreciate it.

PS : I have already spoken to VF help, who werent a lot of help.

Staff

Re: Setting up two vodafone tv boxes.

by Staff grantt Staff
Message 2 of 5 (183 Views)

Hi There.

Does the second STB show any WiFi?   Is your friends router 5ghz capable?

Cheers.

I work in Media Operations.

Please note that I am not a part of the social media team and help out on my own time where possible.
Starter Poster

Message 3 of 5 (177 Views)

Hi Grant,  Thanks for the reply.  There is no wifi showing on the onscreen menu on the second tv. It shows a highlighted graphic of an ethernet socket, which I obviously cant connect to without ethernet cable.  The router is dual band. At the second tv, the 5G signal strength is -55 dbm, and the speed is approx. 60 mb/s. I assume that if the stb is wireless capable these figures should allow it to connect?  As a separate issue I find that once the stb is connected to power and turns on [white light], the remote cannot turn it off !!    Does this indicate a stb fault ?

Vodafone technical help who I called yesterday, ended up by offering to send a wifi extender...

If you have any comments to help, I would appreciate it.

Regards

Starter Poster

Message 4 of 5 (145 Views)

Hi There,  

I did the original post.

Since then I have worked out that the Voda. TV box that is sent out for new plans, is not wireless capable.  I wasted a lot of time to come to that conclusion...It appears that the Voda TV box that is available from Harvey Norman etc. IS wireless capable.  Vodafone sent me a wifi extender that was intended to sit close to the second TV,[in bedroom] ,and then connect to tv with ethernet cable.  Fine in theory, but the extender refused to show any inclination to connect to the main router..  I even moved the extender to within 2 metres of the router,as a diagnostic test,but it would not connect. The signal from the router was strong. [ 200mb/s and -55 dbm]  

I am at a loss as to how to get the second tv working.  I feel the it is a waste of time calling vodafone to sort it out as it is extremely frustrating to talk to semi trained people, with accents that make it hard to communicate technically. 

I feel that you just get fobbed of by being put on hold, asked to respond to text links which are not received, etc, etc.

Highlighted
Starter Poster

Message 5 of 5 (75 Views)

Hi there,

I did the original post.

Because the "free" wi fi extender that vodafone provided, would not connect to the main router, I had to resort to desperate measures.

I had a young fit relative go up into the ceiling space, and help me pull through a cat 6 ethernet cable by attaching to the existing rg6 coaxial cable. With new rj45 sockets, the second tv worked perfectly.!!!

Incidently I notice that Vodafone dont ask for customer feedback, when it is obvious that they have not provided satisfactory support.   Selective filtering of true customer satisfaction.??

Also the next Vodafone bill came with $150 odd added for the wifi extender. This is a case of the right hand not knowing what the left is doing..ie: accounts not knowing what they should be charging.

My friend is thoroughly disillusioned.

Stats
  • 4 Replies
  • 5w ago
  • 0 Kudos
  • 2 Contributors