Only some programs on the Vodafone TV Retail Box can be restarted from the start.

Starter Poster
Accepted Solution

Only some programs on the Vodafone TV Retail Box can be restarted from the start.

by IvanPiacun Starter Poster
Message 1 of 5 (259 Views)

When begining to view a program after it has already started some programs give you the option of restarting viewing from the start of the the program on the Vodafone Retail TV Box without a Sky subscription. Why is this not available on all programs?

Frequent Poster

Re: Only some programs on the Vodafone TV Retail Box can be restarted from the start.

by Frequent Poster GarethCollins Frequent Poster
Message 2 of 5 (232 Views)

With your box you will find there are several things that will happen with programs:

1)  Some programs can be re-started - those are ones you can record

2) Some cannot - those are ones you probably cannot record - in the tv guide lineup I have found these are "black" and no pic of show and after the event you will see just a missing timegap in the lineup.

3) Most programmes if you that are running "live" so say you pause - they will all cut out before end of the show or movie you watch.  If you are lucky you can then go find the next show in that days lineup and hopefully the tail end will be there - if it is an hour show or movie though and next show is 1/2 hour and you pause more than the half hour - you can't watch the end unless it is a 1/2 hour show that can be recorded.

Some shows will record and save for up to 90 days, a ton of others only stay for 3 days maximum.  You do not have control over that.  However, you can record a small handful and protect them (not sure why you can't protect more - haven't found that out yet).

Also, if you series record something thinking you will binge watch it later on, be careful as whilst it will still appear in your recorded programs lineup, initial episodes will disappear.

Sometimes you will find a show has a different shows episode in the lineup, example Matlock on 8 might appear in middle of say Shortland Street episodes....not sure what causes that, but you sometimes may find that the Shortland Street episode will then be on the Matlock lineup and vice versa.

Varying lengths of shows and inability to record 20 or 30% of the lineup or more is due to legal issue I understand - basically it affects MOST if not all of the freeview channels....to do that you need to sign up to the different freeview Aps like TVNZonDemand and hope they have added the show and all the episodes to their lineup).

Hopefully that makes sense and is of some help.  Annoys us we were never told any of this, just that it was the best thing since sliced bread and did all these wonderful things then found most of the shows we love which are on freeview channels cannot be recorded grrrr.

Expert Contributor

Re: Only some programs on the Vodafone TV Retail Box can be restarted from the start.

by Expert Contributor Expert Contributor
Message 3 of 5 (228 Views)

@GarethCollins wrote:

With your box you will find there are several things that will happen with programs:

1)  Some programs can be re-started - those are ones you can record

2) Some cannot - those are ones you probably cannot record - in the tv guide lineup I have found these are "black" and no pic of show and after the event you will see just a missing timegap in the lineup.

3) Most programmes if you that are running "live" so say you pause - they will all cut out before end of the show or movie you watch.  If you are lucky you can then go find the next show in that days lineup and hopefully the tail end will be there - if it is an hour show or movie though and next show is 1/2 hour and you pause more than the half hour - you can't watch the end unless it is a 1/2 hour show that can be recorded.

Some shows will record and save for up to 90 days, a ton of others only stay for 3 days maximum.  You do not have control over that.  However, you can record a small handful and protect them (not sure why you can't protect more - haven't found that out yet).

Also, if you series record something thinking you will binge watch it later on, be careful as whilst it will still appear in your recorded programs lineup, initial episodes will disappear.

Sometimes you will find a show has a different shows episode in the lineup, example Matlock on 8 might appear in middle of say Shortland Street episodes....not sure what causes that, but you sometimes may find that the Shortland Street episode will then be on the Matlock lineup and vice versa.

Varying lengths of shows and inability to record 20 or 30% of the lineup or more is due to legal issue I understand - basically it affects MOST if not all of the freeview channels....to do that you need to sign up to the different freeview Aps like TVNZonDemand and hope they have added the show and all the episodes to their lineup).

Hopefully that makes sense and is of some help.  Annoys us we were never told any of this, just that it was the best thing since sliced bread and did all these wonderful things then found most of the shows we love which are on freeview channels cannot be recorded grrrr.

And you don't wanna bother returning it for a refund huh? 

I'm in the same boat not worth the effort to return it for $179

Frequent Poster

by Frequent Poster GarethCollins Frequent Poster
Message 4 of 5 (208 Views)

We got conned into I guess the "gen1" box locked in a plan and gave up our loved T-Box so not so easy to just dismiss issues.  Swapped for our T-Box as was recovering from quintuple bypass after being given 1 month to live w/out it and am spending time convalescing and mostly laid up so having being promised it was heaps better than t-box and told none of the issues we signed up thinking it would be nice for me as I attempt to recover.  How fooled was I.

So, we pay well over $150 a month and have rung, hours on hold, written to CEO, got fobbed off to a CS rep who did nothing but string us along with all sorts of stories, told us we were lucky we didn't get charged for their issues and our time on hold to resolve them...like the periods of no service whatsoever, black screens, constant error messages and so forth - the bugs keep changing and a coming.  I guess I use it a lot more than most do so have noticed a LOT of bugs....so now considering Fair Go's offer to go to them....and ALL I want is a functional product like promised, I am not mean't to have this stress that VF causes.  

All they do is create CS team names that are "trendy" like VF Ninjas or the new VF X-Men or whatever they call them, so guess I am really just holding out for VF Xena Warrior Princess to start there....

Oh and our Gen 1 doesn't do what a lot of the "new ones" do apparently....and have less than half storage space...anyway just answering the gentleman's questions as I know VF don't really answer much on this VF board for some odd reason.  Cheers.

Highlighted
Contributor

[ Edited ]
by Contributor JamRam Contributor
Message 5 of 5 (161 Views)

This is due to the rights that have been granted for individual shows by the content providers. There are different rights for live playout, recording, restart (going back to the beginning of a currently playing show), catchup (playing a show that has finished). These rights are different for both STB and mobile. Basically content providers are trying to squeeze as much money out of the assets that they have as they can. They pass these rights to Vodafone and Vodafone has to honor them.

Stats
  • 4 Replies
  • 10w ago
  • 3 Kudos
  • 4 Contributors