Do you ave to subscribe to Sky if you have a Vodafone TV box?

Starter Poster

Do you ave to subscribe to Sky if you have a Vodafone TV box?

by Marie1 Starter Poster
Message 1 of 6 (240 Views)

I’ve qrranged to have a Vodafone TV box, and although this hasn’t arrived, I’ve been told I will have to subscribe to Sky. I don’t want to, is this true?

Posted from Apple iPad
Regular Poster

Re: Do you ave to subscribe to Sky if you have a Vodafone TV box?

by Regular Poster GarethCollins Regular Poster
Message 2 of 6 (203 Views)

I would suggest the following:

If you want a TV service that works fully, with all channels playable and recordable, that does not make you want to smash it to pieces and throw it in the bin every five minutes, then you want to get Sky installed.

If you want an inferior service where if you have an issue (and you will have hundreds) and want to wait an hour plus on helplines, and that craps out constantly (and I mean you have zero service) at random times in the evenings for extended periods, plus all the other issues everyone else states on this forum and elsewhere.....then you want VF's new tv box installed.

Starter Poster

Re: Do you have to subscribe to Sky if you have a Vodafone TV box?

by Marie1 Starter Poster
Message 3 of 6 (195 Views)

😱 Thank you.  Sounds like it would be less stressful to just leave it in the box.

i think (it was a freebie from Vodafone) I’ll install it but if it’s as much trouble as it sounds, I’ll just uninstall it and enjoy my trouble free tv.

thank you for your reply.  Yes I have been perturbed by the avalanche of angry dissatisfied users on here. 

Cheers.

Posted from Apple iPad
Regular Poster

by Regular Poster mistaTea Regular Poster
Message 4 of 6 (168 Views)

There are a lot of angry comments on this forum, for sure. But remember - that is the way of the world. Only the angry tend to post messages. And in the modern era, it is very easy for faceless keyboard warriors to post negative messages that cannot be substantiated.

No doubt, many contributors to this post have genuine concerns though.

I have had VTV for almost 1 year now. Perhaps I can give some feedback that is more constructive and balanced.

First, you do not have to take the Sky Channels if you do not wish to. They have an Intro package which enables you to stream Freeview Channels only. You can upgrade your package if you want to include the Sky TV channels.

Overall, I would describe the VTV product has good. In terms of streaming content, I have not had any issues. I watch a fair amount of live sport (notorious for having issues when streamed online) and every rugby match, tennis tournament, boxing match, cycling race etc etc etc I have watched on VTV has been excellent. High Definition picture streamed with zero latency. Every time.

I had one occassion when my set top box didn't turn on right away (took me a few goes). And one time the On Demand service was not working for a couple of hours (I could still stream live TV and watch recorded programs so it was annoying, but not the end of the world).

From a usability perspective, I think VTV is lacking. This is why I describe the service as 'good' and not 'excellent'. I have the Premium package, so I get most of the Sky channels. I won't list all of the usability issues here, however suffice it to say that VTV is way behind Netflix in this area. Finding content to watch is not particularly easy, and once you start watching a program it is not as seamless as Netflix if you want to dip in and out of the show. Far from having a 'Continue Watching' function that, with one-click, takes you right back to where you left off...you have to manually find your show and select the episode you want next. This is a first-world problem, I know...but when you also subscribe to other platforms like Netflix, the clumsiness of the VTV user interface is ver apparant. It is functional, and once you get the hang of it you are ok...but it is definitely not great.

The linear TV focus is a mistake in my view, as the world has moved to On Demand. I believe more screen real estate should be given to On Demand (with linear being a background option). This would not work so well for customers who just take the intro package (which is all linear), so that would need some thought.

I understand that a new software upgrade is coming this month. It will include a number of UX enhancements, and I look forward to seeing them.

As it stands, I am most likely going to hand my VTV back in a couple of months when my contract ends. If I take an internet package with Spark they have an option where they will include a subscription to Lightbox and Netflix. I can then subscribe to NEON and FANPASS to cover off the Sky TV programmes I enjoy. I have an Apple TV which I can use to run the apps I suscribe to (only NEON is not avaialble on AppleTV right now, however I can Airplay it from my iPhone until Sky release an Apple TV app). This would enable me to get all of the content I want to watch for cheaper, on a platform that is much more usable in my view.

If the VTV software upgrade absolutely thrills me (assuming the release goes ahead this month) then I will be happy to stay with Vodafone. I am prepared to pay a premium for an excellent user experience, and as I say - the streaming quality of VTV is excellent.

Regular Poster

by Regular Poster GarethCollins Regular Poster
Message 5 of 6 (144 Views)

Your comment is offensive to all the people here (of which there are many) who you refer to as "keyboard warriors".  They have all one thing in common, they have been provided a product that is not anywhere near as good as the old T-Boxes, who have valid complaints at being upsold some great product that is flawed.

We'll assume you are a VFNZ employee....for sure.....oh and btw some of us "keyboard warriors" you refer to have lots of tangible evidence of just how flawed and annoying it is....like last night, box cuts off Magnum PI I was watching....think I could figure out what was going on with their product.....well....wonder if that is related to my wife upset she cannot find Wentworth episodes missing on that lineup......see below pic....this is what Magnum PI shows in its lineup!

So, you will see, we have valid issues, being a VFNZ employee and calling us keyboard warriors rather than addressing the issues we are posting about (and only doing that out of sheer frustration at being unable to get VFNZ to assist) maybe just address the issues.....

WP_20190621_002.jpg

Regular Poster

by Regular Poster mistaTea Regular Poster
Message 6 of 6 (139 Views)

Hi Gareth,

All online forums have an element of 'Keyboard Warriors'. It is the nature of the modern world where people can say whatever they want (I have read some incredibly nasty comments in the past) when they would not be so aggressive face to face.

I should point out that I also said: "No doubt, many contributors to this post have genuine concerns though.".

In other words, I acknowledge that many (if not the majority) of the issues raised in this particular forum are absolutely genuine, and Vodafone benefit by having this raised so they can address concerns and improve their product over time.

And finally, I assure you I do not work for Vodafone in any capacity. I am merely a Vodafone customer, presumably like everyone else who posts here.

Stats
  • 5 Replies
  • 9w ago
  • 0 Kudos
  • 3 Contributors