Development Roadmap

Starter Poster

Development Roadmap

by Benoire Starter Poster
Message 1 of 10 (875 Views)

Hi

I'm looking at how I do TV around the house and thinking whether I should replace my Android TVs with something like these units, however as Android TV supports more apps it would be really useful to know what was in development, such as disney+ or amazon... I'm not looking for dates just an idea of what features/updates may be coming so I can make an informed decision.

Is there a roadmap or something that I can view?

Thanks,

Chris

Expert Contributor

Re: Development Roadmap

by Expert Contributor Expert Contributor
Message 2 of 10 (867 Views)

Or the Twitch Tv app don't forget about that!

Staff

by Staff HamishSansom Staff
Message 3 of 10 (825 Views)

Hi,

Amazon Prime Video is already available on the Gen2 / standalone VTV box, and coming very soon to the Gen1 box that's bundled with Vodafone broadband.   I'm not able to comment on other apps like Twitch or Disney+ until we have agreement to launch sorry.  These are global discussions - not led by NZ.

Regards

Hamish  

Starter Poster

Message 4 of 10 (823 Views)

Ok thanks, any chance that Spark Sport might come on the unit or perhaps sky sports now?

Staff

Message 5 of 10 (820 Views)

Yes, there is a chance on both but nothing I can comment on right now. 

In terms of Sky Sport now app, I assume this is because you want to pay the $40/mth rather than the full blown Sky Sports option for $58 on VTV? For the extra $18 the VTV Sky Sport option includes all Sky Sport channels + Sky Starter channels, also ability to rewind 3 days, record 100% of Sports.  Also you can watch live, 3 day rewind and recordings on your mobile or tablet (Gen 1 currently, Gen2 real soon).  

Expert Contributor

[ Edited ]
Message 6 of 10 (815 Views)

Why can't any of the programmes on C.I be recorded yet there's other channels where everthing can be recorded channels that aren't really as popular?

Staff

[ Edited ]
Message 7 of 10 (792 Views)

Hi @Christopher, great question.  This relates to the increadibly complex world of content copyright and how different studios and channel providers price and provide copying rights. 

In this case, Crime+Investigation is a channel packaged by an Australian company who may have decided they want to charge a certain price for cloud recording rights.  As a result none of the programmes can be recorded, but can be viewed on 3 day rewind.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crime_%2B_Investigation_(Australian_TV_channel)

I'm guessing as to the situation because it is Sky who broadcasts the channel and negotiates these rights and then on-supply these to us.  Sky get excellent rights for us on most of their channels (eg on Sports channels), but obviously the owners of Crime+Investigation are wanting more than it's worth to Sky.

I will take this up with Sky to understand if there's any ability to improve the copy rights for this channel. 

Hamish

Expert Contributor

[ Edited ]
Message 8 of 10 (789 Views)

@HamishSansom wrote:

Hi @Christopher, great question.  This relates to the increadibly complex world of content copyright and how different studios and channel providers price and provide copying rights. 

In this case, Crime+Investigation is a channel packaged by an Australian company who may have decided they want to charge a certain price for cloud recording rights.  As a result none of the programmes can be recorded, but can be viewed on 3 day rewind.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crime_%2B_Investigation_(Australian_TV_channel)

I'm guessing as to the situation because it is Sky who broadcasts the channel and negotiates these rights and then on-supply these to us.  Sky get excellent rights for us on most of their channels (eg on Sports channels), but obviously the owners of Crime+Investigation are wanting more than it's worth to Sky.

I will take this up with Sky to understand if there's any ability to improve the copy rights for this channel. 

Hamish

that's the other thing. only some programmes can be viewed via 3 day rewind...

Starter Poster

Message 9 of 10 (812 Views)

Ok thanks, understandable with Spark Sport at any rate...

For SSN its generally due to the fact full blown sky active on two units (lets say main bedroom and lounge) requires an additional $25 payment for multiroom even if only one unit is watching at a time, but the app sub allows for multiple devices to be registered which is more cost friendly... I've currently got full blown sky already and looking at getting rid of it as I dont watch much apart from Sport so the app is more friendly in terms of multiroom than a sky sub.

Staff

Message 10 of 10 (796 Views)

Thanks for the feedback @Benoire , that's a great point and something we'll consider as we think about SSN vs pricing of standard Sky Starter + Sports.

Stats
  • 9 Replies
  • 51w ago
  • 0 Kudos
  • 3 Contributors