Cannot find WiFi Connection option on my VTV box.

Highlighted
Starter Poster

Cannot find WiFi Connection option on my VTV box.

by tdevitt Starter Poster
Message 1 of 7 (219 Views)

I have a Vodafone TV set top box, delivered July 2019 as part of a new fibre connection contract. It does not appear to have an option to connect via WiFi. It just keeps asking for an Ethernet cable to be connected. The Ethernet connection works OK, but it is not suitable to have hard-wired connection.

I have 5Ghz and have done all the trouble shooting without success. Does this device connecct via WiFi or not? If so how do you bring up a menu to connect to the correct SSID and enter the WiFi password?

The Part No of this unit is 86627 and the HW Version is NZ-81.

VERY frustrated.

Highlighted
Senior Contributor

Re: Cannot find WiFi Connection option on my VTV box.

[ Edited ]
by Senior Contributor MrMorm Senior Contributor
Message 2 of 7 (216 Views)

Sounds like you have a non-wifi box. There are two versions. The Wifi one is smaller and different hardwre version and includes wifi MAC address information on the sticker underneath.

Wifi version has both wifi and ethernet options in the internet connection menu too.

Highlighted
Starter Poster

Message 3 of 7 (213 Views)

Thanks for that info! I had not found in my searches that there were in fact two versions of the box.

Do you happen to know when the WiFi version was released. As this set top box was supplied mid-2019 as one of the incentives for a 12-month contract I am most disappointed to find that Vodafone have sent me an outdated unit, or one that they would have known was about to be superseded.

Highlighted
Senior Contributor

by Senior Contributor MrMorm Senior Contributor
Message 4 of 7 (207 Views)

The ones you buy from the shops are wifi

If you bundle sky and vodafone onto your broadband plan you get the non wifi one and the option for wifi booster to connect it wirelessle if you want (its another box that cables to the VTV and wifi pairs back to the modem)

Highlighted
Frequent Poster

by Frequent Poster dbatten Frequent Poster
Message 5 of 7 (208 Views)

Greetings

As a Vodafone braodband customer you recieved the Gen 1 box - The Gen 2 box was and is only available via retail stores. If there had been dialogue at the time and it was noted that you didn't have ethernet to the box Vodafone should have sent you a Wifi extender kit along with the new hub that you probably recieved. You can-not swap them out  and other than the WiFi performance is vurtually identical although as a Gen 1 user the ability to pair a remote via bluetooth would be good

thanks db

Highlighted
Starter Poster

Message 6 of 7 (201 Views)

OK, thanks guys for the quck clarification, greatly appreciated. My question now answered, and I will manage OK with the Gen 1 box.

Highlighted
Starter Poster

by billite Starter Poster
Message 7 of 7 (151 Views)

Good luck with your Gen 1 box. Please make sure that auto update are set to off or you will end up completely dissatisfied with the performance if it updates myself. Speaking from experience (read the forums for other dissatisfied users)

Stats
  • 6 Replies
  • 13w ago
  • 0 Kudos
  • 4 Contributors