Twilio SMS messages being blocked by VF Spam Filter

Highlighted
Starter Poster

Twilio SMS messages being blocked by VF Spam Filter

by rbeechey Starter Poster
Message 1 of 18 (1,315 Views)

We send SMS messages to our customers in New Zealand via Twilio and recently many messgaes to VF customers have not been getting delivered.

Twilio tell me that VF have intensified their SMS Spam Filter so many legit messages are being blocked.

Any suggestions to how we can get our message whitelisted by VF so our customers actually receive them would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Richard

Highlighted
Business Ninja Adept

Re: Twilio SMS messages being blocked by VF Spam Filter

[ Edited ]
by Business Ninja Adept Business Ninja Adept Business Ninja Adept
Message 2 of 18 (1,310 Views)

I'm not quite sure about the accuracy of the statement provided by your Vendor Smiley Happy

As you are not a Vodafone customer directly for the service, we can't assist you directly on this.

So my suggestion to you is to escalate your support case with your Vendor (Twilio) and get them to raise it to Vodafone for investigation via the agreed upon channels.

NOC Engineer | Vodafone NZ
Highlighted
Starter Poster

Message 3 of 18 (1,307 Views)

Thanks Sebastian

I am personally a VF customer and my messages are being blocked - are we able to use my details to confirm "where" the message is failing?

Thanks
Richard

Highlighted
Business Ninja Adept

Message 4 of 18 (1,305 Views)

Hi

Investigation should start from The A# Party (originating) side, but;

Assuming you know the A# Party number and can provide an example date / time, you could get a job logged with Customer Service to check if the SMS towards your number is being received at Vodafone NZ SMSC.

If the SMS can't be seen arriving at SMSC then investigation needs to begin from A# Party Side.

Best Regards,

Sebastian

Highlighted
Starter Poster

Message 5 of 18 (1,303 Views)

Many thanks Sebastian

I have access to our Twilio logs so have the detail that you mention, who/how do I initate an investigation at the VF end, when I speak to the "Ninjas" I do not get very far.

Thanks

Richard

Highlighted
Business Ninja Adept

Message 6 of 18 (1,277 Views)
Hi Richard,

Call should be logged with customer services via normal channel egSmiley Tonguehone call.

If you’re stuck for help, PM me the details and I can ask someone to take a look

Cheers

Best Regards,
Sebastian
Posted from Apple iPhone
Highlighted
Starter Poster

Message 7 of 18 (1,258 Views)

Thanks Sebastian

Twilio have confirmed that all messages not getting through are being blocked by VF filtering so we are applying to be whitelisted.

Thanks for the offer of help.

Cheers

Richard

Highlighted
New Poster

by Greener15 New Poster
Message 8 of 18 (1,195 Views)

We are having the same issue at my work - how did you get whitelisted?

(Using Twilio connecter in PowerAutomate and all our staff with Vodafone are not receiving the SMS...)

Cheers 

Megan

Highlighted
Starter Poster

Message 9 of 18 (1,000 Views)

If the NZ carriers allowed Twilio NZ numbers then there wouldn't be an issue - I was told it was to do with security and spam prevention which seems like rubbish, if Twilio required identification to sell NZ numbers (like AU) then taht would be all the security they needed.

Excuse the rant..

Anyway - , following are the instructions to apply for a shared whitelisted shortcode from Twilio, I was approved within a few days and no problems since.

The process is pretty straightforward, as follows:

Please email our support team (support-help@twilio.com) to submit your application for carrier whitelisting.

Please complete the following information when sending your email to support :

Twilio Account SID:
Type Of SMS Service (no marketing/promo traffic allowed): e.g. Appointment reminders, OTP/auth codes, etc
Service Description:
Example: Providing storm/lighting alerts to New Zealand residents by SMS
How Does the End User Initiate Service:
Example: End user provides mobile number during online registrations and checks box to receive lighting SMS alerts.
Your company's Customer Care email address: e.g. customercare@yourwebsite.example
Your company's Customer Care local NZ call number:
Web URL for your end user Terms & Conditions: e.g. yourwebsite.example/terms-and-conditions
Note: If your Terms and Conditions cannot be viewed online, please provide a copy in PDF format. 

Highlighted
Starter Poster

by wseagar Starter Poster
Message 10 of 18 (985 Views)

Thanks so much @rbeechey 

Very strange as when we we're doing development of our SMS features ~a month ago everything was working fine on all carriers.

We we're also just using trial credits. As soon as we upgraded and added credit to our account it stopped working with vodafone. 

Also all the twilio logs show the message being delivered successfully to the carrier.

Could be a case of bad timing or it could be this spam prevention/security feature only kicks in on paid accounts which seems really shady and I would of found another way to programmatically send SMS.

Stats
  • 17 Replies
  • 33w ago
  • 4 Kudos
  • 5 Contributors