I need help troubleshooting my home to office VPN via Vodafone

Highlighted
Starter Poster

I need help troubleshooting my home to office VPN via Vodafone

by dschealler Starter Poster
Message 1 of 9 (1,225 Views)

I can't connect to my office VPN from home.

I've never been able to connect to my office VPN from home ever since I've been on Vodafone.

I've worked with my office networking guy, and as far as we can tell everything is set up correctly. When I take my laptop to someone else's internet connection, the laptop can VPN to my office without issue. When I bring the laptop home to my Vodafone Home Gateway HG659 Wi-Fi network, it can't connect to my office VPN. So the issue is definitely something to do with either my router or Vodafone itself.

Historically, I tried calling Vodafone customer support for this. The lady on the phone was very polite, but she said that Vodafone doesn't block VPNs so the problem must be on our office setup side. Which doesn't make any sense to me because of the test above - which I did tell her about. I got the impression she was reading the answer from a screen and didn't understand the significance of the test or the inadequacy of her answer.

In any case: I got around that for years by using remote access - things like LogMeIn or TeamViewer or SplashTop.

But recently I've needed to switch from Windows to Linux, so I'll need to switch to a provider that supports Linux, and it's all getting too hard again.

Ideally, I'd just like for my VPN to my office to work again so I can connect directly to our internal network. I just want to be able to work from home when I need to without having to jump through hoops. It's very frustrating.

I have a little bit of technical knowledge around networks and VPNs, but my focus is as a programmer, not network setup.

Anyone out there in internet land able and willing to help me out?

Highlighted
Retired Staff

Re: I need help troubleshooting my home to office VPN via Vodafone

by johnr Retired Staff
Message 2 of 9 (1,219 Views)
What VPN standard are you using?
Ex VodafoneNZ staff member 17+ years and if you want real help from real people check out www.geekzone.co.nz
Posted from Samsung SM-G965F
Highlighted
Retired Staff

by johnr Retired Staff
Message 3 of 9 (1,217 Views)
Have you also checked the HG659 is on the latest firmware version? See help section on main VodafoneNZ site
Ex VodafoneNZ staff member 17+ years and if you want real help from real people check out www.geekzone.co.nz
Posted from Samsung SM-G965F
Highlighted
Starter Poster

by CYaBro Starter Poster
Message 4 of 9 (1,024 Views)

Did you ever get this sorted?

I've got the same issue trying to setup an L2TP VPN to work.

Highlighted
Starter Poster

by CYaBro Starter Poster
Message 5 of 9 (976 Views)

Anybody??!!

Highlighted
Senior Contributor

by Senior Contributor MrMorm Senior Contributor
Message 6 of 9 (971 Views)

Its just internet traffic to Vodafone. Its not treated any different to any other traffic so nothing there to specifically block or allow it.

My partner and I both use a work VPN clients from our PCs and it works fine (not sure what VPN methods for each as they are just desktop clients installed). Nothing was needed on the Vodafone modems, either HG659 or Ultra Hubs we've used on VDSL then Fibre

Doesn't help you directly sorry, but Im not sure the internet connection or modem would be the issue based on my experience.

Highlighted
Starter Poster

by CYaBro Starter Poster
Message 7 of 9 (969 Views)

Thanks for the reply.

I'm 99.9% sure the issue is with the HG659 since the laptop in question works fine on the VPN at another location, and I can connect to the same VPN from my PC at my office, which is on a Voyager connection.

The HG659 does have L2TP server function built-in but it is disabled but I still wonder if it is doing something with that traffic.

There's no client software needed, it's just using the built-in VPN setup in Windows 10.

Highlighted
Senior Contributor

by Senior Contributor MrMorm Senior Contributor
Message 8 of 9 (967 Views)

Check the Firewall in Network settings is on the default ':LOW' and not set to high as a test (or Off temporarily to really test/prove)

Its quite possible the Hg659 doesn't support L2TP passthrough and just thinks it has to do it itself. So you could grab a cheap Ultra Hub on Trademe to try instead  (at worst you'd get better wifi at least)

Highlighted
New Poster

[ Edited ]
by HuaGong New Poster
Message 9 of 9 (911 Views)

My user encountered same situation as well and the firewall doesn't matter (I test by shutting it down). Going to test with another router.

Stats
  • 8 Replies
  • 1y ago
  • 0 Kudos
  • 5 Contributors