Vodafone TV Digital Recorder

Starter Poster

Vodafone TV Digital Recorder

[ Edited ]
by RoryHayward Starter Poster
Message 1 of 6 (2,679 Views)

I'm considering signing up for a Fibre connection to take advantage of the Vodafone TV SKY service. Can the set-top box supplied connect to my Wireless network, or will I have to have an ethernet port installed behing my TV to connect to the residential gateway which is likely (along with the ONT) to be installed 10 metres away in my garage?

Retired Staff

Re: Vodafone TV Digital Recorder

[ Edited ]
by johnr Retired Staff
Message 2 of 6 (2,677 Views)

@granttKnows all about this unit but over WiFi I suspect would not be the best idea due to WiFi operating on public band and prone to interference

Ex VodafoneNZ staff member 17+ years and if you want real help from real people check out www.geekzone.co.nz
Highlighted
Staff

by Staff grantt Staff
Message 3 of 6 (2,671 Views)
Typically the ONT and router are installed as close to the TV as possible. The Vodafone Digital TV Recorder is plugged into the router via an Ethernet lead. If the router is installed elsewhere, the installer will run a dedicated Ethernet lead (up to a certain length) to feed the Vodafone DTR.

The Vodafone does not support connection over wifi or any other connection types (ie: Ethernet over power).

Hope this helps.

Cheers
Grant
I work in Media Operations.

Please note that I am not a part of the social media team and help out on my own time where possible.
Posted from Apple iPad
Starter Poster

[ Edited ]
by RoryHayward Starter Poster
Message 4 of 6 (2,648 Views)

Hi Grant,

Thanks for the prompt reply. Unfortunately the existing conduit carrying the copper is buried under a large concrete driveway and I'm assuming the fibre installation would need to travel through this as I can't immediately see any practical way that the fibre could travel anywhere near close to the position of the TV (although that's where I'd like it) without ripping up the driveway. Nor can I see any practical way for a new run of Ethernet cable to made internally from the garage to the TV's location.

Will the installer first complete a site visit to answer these questions before I'm committed and incur costs/contracts? Of do they simply complete the installation at the same (understandably subsidised) cost no matter how complex? Not looking to get something for nothing here, just don't know how complex installs are handled!

Also, I'm almost certain that a Vodafone employee previously told me that he uses Powerline networking to deliver Ethernet from his garage installed UFB Router to his Vodafone TV STB but you suggest that "The Vodafone does not support..."? Does that mean that it plain won't work, or just that it is not "officially supported"? I didn't know that a device could tell the difference between packets carried over Powerline networking and those carried over UTP?

Thanks in advance,

Rory

Staff

by Staff grantt Staff
Message 5 of 6 (2,643 Views)
Ethernet over power is unreliable and as such if a call comes in to troubleshoot the first thing we would ask you to do is remove those units. We cannot support or troubleshoot if those devices are being used.

I'm not totally up to play with the installers but yes, as I understand it they will perform a site visit first to work out if/how they can perform the install. Not sure on the commitment side once this point is reached, perhaps another Ninja can help here.

Cheers
Grant
I work in Media Operations.

Please note that I am not a part of the social media team and help out on my own time where possible.
Posted from Apple iPad
Retired Staff

by NikT Retired Staff
Message 6 of 6 (2,611 Views)

@RoryHayward wrote:

Will the installer first complete a site visit to answer these questions before I'm committed and incur costs/contracts? Of do they simply complete the installation at the same (understandably subsidised) cost no matter how complex? Not looking to get something for nothing here, just don't know how complex installs are handled!

Hi @RoryHayward ,

The Chorus technicians who attend for the site visit should be able to answer all your questions about the installation and any additional costs, which as I understand it are extremely rare for residential connections that are deemed fibre-capable - if the technicians advise the installation is too complex or costly, or it will result in more work than you are comfortable with, you can certainly cancel the install with no obligation. Smiley Happy

Hope that helps!

Cheers,

- Nik

Devices team, Vodafone NZ
Stats
  • 5 Replies
  • 5y ago
  • 2 Kudos
  • 4 Contributors