Use HG659 only as ATA with 3rd party router

Starter Poster

Use HG659 only as ATA with 3rd party router

by Giles Starter Poster
Message 1 of 3 (1,019 Views)

Hi

We have just signed up for VF fibre broadband plus phone service. We already have an excellent Synology router with wifi which has all our devices, parental controls etc set up on it which we want to retain unchanged. We really didn't want he HG659 at all, but we have to use it to use the VF phone service.

I tried bridging the HG659 to our Synology router. This worked for internet, but we lost the phone service.

Searching these forums I found a reference to this post which seems to give me a solution, however I'm a little unclear: Does this mean that I connect our Synology router's WAN directly to the Chorus ONT and then connect the HG659 WAN port to a LAN port on our Synology router (and disable WiFi, firewall, DCHP, etc on the HG659)?

If so, then that seems like it should provide the solution I'm looking for.

I'd be very grateful if a more experienced member could confirm this is a sensible approach.

Many thanks

Giles

Starter Poster

Re: Use HG659 only as ATA with 3rd party router

by Giles Starter Poster
Message 2 of 3 (1,000 Views)

Update: I see this question has been asked and answered before here

http://community.vodafone.co.nz/t5/Modems-Wi-Fi/Using-ASUS-modem-router-with-vodafone-fibre-and-home...

however the answer linked in that post is no longer accessible and I can't find it by searching.

I'd be very grateful if anyone could provide a working link to the solution.

Many thanks

Giles

Starter Poster

Re: Use HG659 only as ATA with 3rd party router

by Elit Starter Poster
Message 3 of 3 (911 Views)

Hey Giles,

Phone into phone1 on HG659. Ethernet from ONT to HG659 WAN. Another ethernet from LAN on HG659 to Lan on Synology. Disable DHCP, Wi-Fi on HG659. Set a static IP address inside the Synology gateway to the HG659 (192.168.1.x).

Let me know if you run into any issues Smiley Happy

Eli

Stats
  • 2 Replies
  • 1y ago
  • 0 Kudos
  • 2 Contributors