Routers settings website slow

Starter Poster

Routers settings website slow

by AndrewAitkenhead Starter Poster
Message 1 of 6 (952 Views)

When connecting to the router's website via 192.168.1.1, the site and everything about it loads very slowly

Navigating all the dropdowns and settings is slow, takes multiple seconds to do basic things and can sometimes go extra slow and take minutes to load the page
and sometimes just refuses load at all

It's not the browsers or computers or wifis fault as I've tried multiple browsers, multiple computers and both ethernet and wifi, the 5Ghz and 2.4Ghz

Why is everything just soo slow
I'll type in 192.168.1.1, the page loads up pretty slowly (even google loads faster)
I type in the username and password and press enter, have to wait multiple seconds for the page to even start loading, yet alone finish loading home page

If I click on "Wifi" it switches the page over to that instantly, but then takes forever to load in information under "General"

Clicking "Client Monitoring" takes forever as well.
Click "Choose Device" (which instantly shows the list of connected devices), Click a device takes forever to load its information and depending on if it's connected to 5Ghz or 2.4Ghz some of the information isn't even loaded

Is this router running on tape drives?
It's the 2nd decade of the 20th century, why isn't it using at least an SD card for speed?

Senior Contributor

Re: Routers settings website slow

by Senior Contributor MrMorm Senior Contributor
Message 2 of 6 (941 Views)

You dont mention which router you are using.

Have you tried factory resetting it to see if it fixes it?

Starter Poster

[ Edited ]
Message 3 of 6 (930 Views)

You dont mention which router you are using.
Ah yes... oops
Productname: Vodafone Ultra Hub
Firmware-Version: 17.1.7988-2461029-20181022011356-cc42b789f8a7d5942c548fddfea7d5a7c0aabb4d

Have you tried factory resetting it to see if it fixes it?

Yes I have factory reset it

Also updated the firmware

And even replaced the router entirely with the exact same model (Vodafone sent us one because they didn’t believe me when I told them their was something wrong the connection to my street and they kept blaming the connect inside

y house. Some of the wires had been damaged (corrosion I think it was) at the end of the road and we were getting 1/8th of our normal speed)

Posted from Apple iPhone
Senior Contributor

by Senior Contributor MrMorm Senior Contributor
Message 4 of 6 (921 Views)

Cant say I've seen the same problem myself (multiple ultrahubs on different connections and devices), nor seen it reported in the forums.

if you've had the same issue on two Ultra hubs then I wonder if there is a Local network issue affecting things?  I have seen it before when there are 2 dhcp servers or conlifting IP addresses or other LAN problems which cause things to slow down - IE the modem is working hard for some reason. The status page will show you the CPU  and memory usage. If the CPU is more than 50 or 60% at lot then it could be slowing the menus down

Does the internet and LAN work at normal speeds otherwise? Is your internet ok otherwise and only the menu going slow?

Do you have lots of customised configuration in the modem, like port forwarding and other rules in place?

You can try turning some of those off to see if there is a culprit or try only a single cabled PC connected to the modem, restart and see if the menus go faster.

It feels like something is loading the modem and the menu speed get sacrificed as the menu speed is normally ok on these modems.

Starter Poster

Message 5 of 6 (909 Views)

The status page will show you the CPU and memory usage. If the CPU is more than 50 or 60% at a lot then it could be slowing the menus down

CPU Usage: 4%
Memory Usage: 85
If I remember correctly, I do believe I have seen the CPU at 50+% at times. But it's still slow and the CPU is low

I have seen it before when there are 2 DHCP servers or conflicting IP addresses or other LAN problems which cause

things to slow down - IE the modem is working hard for some reason.
That is possible. Maybe it's having to wait on time outs all the time
The event log is spammed twice every 30sec with this message:
netlink: 20 bytes leftover after parsing attributes.
and also: 
[wansensing] Rx Byte Check: 228437972 <> 227677704
[wansensing] (VDSL) runs L3_VDSLMain.check(VDSL,timeout)

Does the internet and LAN work at normal speeds otherwise? Is your internet ok otherwise and only the menu going slow?

Internet speed is fine at 30mb/s down and 7mb/s up. Both in the router settings and during speed tests on wifi
And 300mb/s+ speeds over lan

Do you have lots of customised configuration in the modem, like port forwarding and other rules in place?

I don't have lots, but there is a few. Port forward for Minecraft, wifi turns off at midnight and sometimes disable a teenagers phone when they try uploading a large video
Tho the menu has always been slow since the first time I've looked at it
I don't think I've ever gone on without the whole house connected. So maybe just connecting a single lan PC might help

It feels like something is loading the modem and the menu speed get sacrificed as the menu speed is normally ok on these modems.

Define how fast this "normal" speed is, please

We did also have problems when turning the TV on, the router would crash and restart (both routers, even with updated firmware)
Not sure if it is the TV, Sky box or the amplifier
But it doesn't seem to have happened in the past 19 days now

Is there a feature to limit the network bandwidth for a certain device?
As if someone uploads a large file, it saturates the upload bandwidth, then, of course, you cant download anything if your computer cant ask the servers for it

Starter Poster

Message 6 of 6 (872 Views)

I've been watching the CPU/Memory usage and I find it very suspicious that it has never changed from 4% CPU and 85% Memory

Stats
  • 5 Replies
  • 42w ago
  • 0 Kudos
  • 2 Contributors