Phone connection

Starter Poster

Phone connection

by Flash Starter Poster
Message 1 of 5 (175 Views)

Looking to go to fibre install soon. Have good location for ONT in basement workshop with phone jack and power. Would like to locate modem upstairs  by TV but there is no phone jack near and difficult to provide one ( concrete floor ).  I can get a network cable to the modem .Can phone connect to ONT or does it have to plug into modem ?

Senior Contributor

Re: Phone connection

by Senior Contributor MrMorm Senior Contributor
Message 2 of 5 (165 Views)

The telephone goes into the modem but you can also connect the modem phone port to the phone jackpoint too to liven up the jackpoints for the phone service.. The modem goes into the ONT via an Ethernet cable only (you can't run it over the phone jackpoints)

Starter Poster

by Flash Starter Poster
Message 3 of 5 (158 Views)

Thank you for your reply.

The Chorus info says that it is important to place the ONT central to where the wifi demand is . Cant see why , as all my connections to devices will be  by wifi not ethernet cable. Surely they mean the modem/router as it contains the wifi.

I cant see why the ONT position is relevant, other than for it being easily accessible.

I can locate the ONT downstairs and connect it to the modem/router with an ethernet cable . I can then place the modem/ router in a good central location for wifi ,where I have both power and a telephone wall socket.

I assume that from what you are saying is if I connect the modem/router phone1 port into the telephone wall socket ,that I can then place my cordless phone base station at any existing  phone socket. Is that correct ?

Senior Contributor

by Senior Contributor MrMorm Senior Contributor
Message 4 of 5 (153 Views)

Chorus say that about the ONT, as most times the modem/router is connected to the ONT via a 1.5meter cable. So the modem usually ends up right next to the ONT.

Yes, absolutely the modem needs to be central and in open space for best Wi-Fi. Often best Wi-Fi placement and Best ONT placement are at odds with one another though because of the cable run needed.

Yes you shold be able to connect the modem phone to the wall jackpoint to liven the other phone jackpoints. Just one caveat though is that if the house wiring for phone is still connected to the Chorus phone network it may not work, or you get double dialtone (ie 2x phone providers connected to the same wiring). In this case it is something to mention to the Chorus installer when installing the ONT and they can just disconnect the Chorus end of the phone and you'll be fine.

Starter Poster

by Flash Starter Poster
Message 5 of 5 (147 Views)

thank you for that. That makes it clear.

Because the suppliers up to the ONT, and the broadband suppliers of the modem are different it is very difficult to get the full story of what is required or possible, they all push their own barrow and dont want to know anything else .

I guess in a new install or one with simple access it is not a problem , but in an existing house with difficult cable access it is hard to get the information required  for something slightly out of the ordinary. Thanks for your help.

Stats
  • 4 Replies
  • 8w ago
  • 0 Kudos
  • 2 Contributors