Landline Home Phone and Ultrahub

Starter Poster

Landline Home Phone and Ultrahub

by Ronnie21 Starter Poster
Message 1 of 10 (188 Views)

Hi all,

Recently got Fibre Max and Vodafone TV installed. All works great and fine, but I am a little confused with the landline situation. Now that I connect the phone to the Ultrahub, does this mean all the phone jack outlets around my house are pretty much useless? Ive been told that I can connect the modem to the phone jack and still use the outlets around the house like normal, but Im not sure how to do this? Also been told that I need to make sure that copper is disconnected first before doing this. How will I know if its disconnected?

Can anyone please advise on what to do? 

Retired Staff

Re: Landline Home Phone and Ultrahub

by johnr Retired Staff
Message 2 of 10 (183 Views)

@Ronnie21  Correct you can feed the signal out of the Access point / Router back into the copper house wiring but you have to make 110% sure the copper is disconnected from the street / pole

@coffeebaron  is great at sorting this out

Ex VodafoneNZ staff member 17+ years and if you want real help from real people check out www.geekzone.co.nz
Starter Poster

Message 3 of 10 (167 Views)

Right so how do i go about doing this? I made a little diagram of what i think is how its setup, tell me if im right or wrong

ultrahublandlinediagram.png

And how do i know that copper is disconnected from the street? Who do I call to get this information?

Retired Staff

by johnr Retired Staff
Message 4 of 10 (155 Views)

@Ronnie21  You need to get someone in that knows what they are doing, What part of NZ are you in?

Ex VodafoneNZ staff member 17+ years and if you want real help from real people check out www.geekzone.co.nz
Starter Poster

Message 5 of 10 (152 Views)

Im in Wellington. So  can I ring Vodafone for a technician to come and do this?

Retired Staff

by johnr Retired Staff
Message 6 of 10 (148 Views)
Nope you need to call a Sparky
Posted from Samsung SM-G965F
Retired Staff

by johnr Retired Staff
Message 7 of 10 (147 Views)
You could do it yourself with loads of information on Google
Retired Staff

by johnr Retired Staff
Message 8 of 10 (146 Views)
Actually pop over to www.geekzone.co.nz and start a thread on this and I'm sure someone will be willing to help for beer
Starter Poster

[ Edited ]
by Dudznz Starter Poster
Message 9 of 10 (113 Views)

Hi Ronnie21,

I had the same problem and got a lot of advice from Johnr.

Upshot to end my problems was going on line and looking for a dual adptor to fit into rear of modem.

Spent a whole $4.68 at Corys Advantage as Corys are named now. 

Got this info from the internet. Only downside is that both corded and cordless phone are connected to Port 1 on the modem.

Have to use the DSL/ph cables which should have been supplied with the Ultra Hub Modem.

I gave the staff at Corys this info and they had the part instore.

Item code 0000374537 

Supplier Computer Dynamics Ltd (EDI)

Supplier Part # A-RJ 11T

Hope this was some help

DUDZNZ

Starter Poster

by Dudznz Starter Poster
Message 10 of 10 (110 Views)

Whoever did the fibre connection should have disconnected the copper wire. If in doubt consult the company who did the job. I had chorus in nelson, and I saw them do work. My copper was an overhead connection, that is top of pole to eave of house. One snip of the cutters and disconnected. Viola. Ring the contractor with your job reference number which they supplied you with'

Stats
  • 9 Replies
  • 3w ago
  • 5 Kudos
  • 3 Contributors