Joining an apple wifi network to Vodafone wifi

Starter Poster
Accepted Solution

Joining an apple wifi network to Vodafone wifi

by jt_stewart Starter Poster
Message 1 of 10 (357 Views)

I am currently using home broadband from chorus/vodafone with the wifi network established by the chorus router. Previously I used an apple airport device for the wifi, which allowed me to stream music around the house. How do I go about joining the apple hardware to the chorus/vodafone hardware?

Retired Staff

Re: Joining an apple wifi network to Vodafone wifi

by johnr Retired Staff
Message 2 of 10 (354 Views)
Chorus does not provide routers

If you are on fibre then Chorus provide the ONT
Ex VodafoneNZ staff member 17+ years and if you want real help from real people check out www.geekzone.co.nz
Posted from Samsung SM-G965F
Starter Poster

Message 3 of 10 (349 Views)

Ok, let me be more specific. I have a vodafone ultrahub that is connected to broadband router and provides the wifi network in the house. Can I join another wifi hub to it, and if so, how?

Before getting the fibre installed I had an adsl router, which I connected to an apple airport extreme wifi base station. All my devices connected to the internet via the airport extreme, which also allowed me to stream music around the house. I would like to connect it somehow to the ultrahub

Thanks,

Jim Stewart

Retired Staff

by johnr Retired Staff
Message 4 of 10 (346 Views)

@jt_stewart  I have never connected one up but surly it must connect over Ethernet to the Vodafone Ultrahub

Ex VodafoneNZ staff member 17+ years and if you want real help from real people check out www.geekzone.co.nz
Highlighted
Starter Poster

Message 5 of 10 (344 Views)

You mean via the LAN port?

Retired Staff

by johnr Retired Staff
Message 6 of 10 (341 Views)

@jt_stewartYes via a unused LAN port

Starter Poster

by Hendrix Starter Poster
Message 7 of 10 (327 Views)

Hi Jim,

I have done this with the HG659 and it works well. I assume the same with the UltraHub. Just connect LAN port on the UltraHub to the WAN port on the Airport (of whatever flavour), and then configure the Airport to create a wireless network. I actually have Wi-Fi on the HG659 turned off, although I don't think it matters.

Starter Poster

Message 8 of 10 (315 Views)

I appreciate the replies, but I'm not winning. When I installed the Ultra Hub I was instructed by someone from Vodafone (one of their "ninjas") to allow the Ultra Hub to create the wifi network, because that would produce faster connection speeds, which I've done. It produces 2 networks, one at 2.4GHz and one at 5GHz. With my previous ADSL system I relied on the apple wifi station to create the wifi network.

When I now plug the apple wifi station into a LAN port on the Ultra Hub, it seems to join the 2.4GHz network, but my internet connection gets dropped.

I suppose I could turn wifi off on the Ultra Hub, and just use it as a modem?? 

Starter Poster

by Hendrix Starter Poster
Message 9 of 10 (309 Views)

That's what I did. The Time Capsule I am using may not be as fast or as strong as the Vodafone-supplied router (I've never tested it), but, having used Macs for 30-odd years, I can understand them and can configure things as I need them, and it works fine for me....so the Wi-Fi is off on the Vodafone-supplied router, and the Airport creates the WiFi network. Many on here may cringe, but it works well for me.

Starter Poster

Message 10 of 10 (287 Views)

Works for me too! Thanks very much.

Regards,

Jim Stewart

Stats
  • 9 Replies
  • 12w ago
  • 1 Kudo
  • 3 Contributors