I received an Ultra Hub and 2 extenders and the instructions are confusing

Starter Poster

I received an Ultra Hub and 2 extenders and the instructions are confusing

by Hanzie Starter Poster
Message 1 of 3 (494 Views)

I received an Ultra Hub and 2 extenders and the instructions to setup the extender requires one extender to be connected to the Ultra Hub via a lan cable, but the Ultra Hub has WPS capability, so the extender could be paired with the Utra Hub using WPS so you don't require the other extender to be connected to the Ultra Hub.

What I am missing here? It just doesn't make sense.. Why would you connect one router to another router??

Starter Poster

Re: I received an Ultra Hub and 2 extenders and the instructions are confusing

by square_eyes Starter Poster
Message 2 of 3 (111 Views)

Amazing noone answered.

It's a real shame that these devices don't have a WiFi repeating feature, as that would make them truly multifunctional (I also have a use case for this).

As they stand, the Wifi <--> Wifi connection on these units must be between themselves. This is so it can do some secret sauce to make the connection between the two super fast and low latency.

A modem wifi repeater will give you less than ideal speed and latency... and while products exist that do this they almost always suck.

By having a purpose built base unit (Station) and remote satellites you get a much better network. Unfortunately it's more devices and more power. Though if you have space for ethernet cables you can extend your wifi that way and connect direct to the router.

Now if only they did mesh networking too!

Regular Contributor

Re: I received an Ultra Hub and 2 extenders and the instructions are confusing

by Regular Contributor MrMorm Regular Contributor
Message 3 of 3 (104 Views)

You can WPS (or manually) pair these back directly to the router. You dont have to use them exclusively in Bridged mode.

If nothing is connected to the ethernet port then they act as a wifi Access point.

If the far end has an ethernet cable attached, then the AP turns off and it becomes a wifi bridge by design.

Stats
  • 2 Replies
  • 1y ago
  • 0 Kudos
  • 3 Contributors