How do I get an upgrade for our Huawei B683 modem?

Highlighted
Starter Poster

How do I get an upgrade for our Huawei B683 modem?

by katirons Starter Poster
Message 1 of 5 (356 Views)

I've lost count of the amount of time wasted while on hold to Vodafone, trying to find someone to organise an upgrade to our 6+ year old modem.  It's a Huawei B683 with a G serial number, which I've read was out of date back in 2017.

This is the original modem supplied by Vodafone when we joined their Rural Broadband network. How can it be so difficult to get it upgraded?  Last time I attempted to resolve this issue it cost me almost an hour and a half on hold, including at least six repetitions of my request and getting cut off twice. The final conversation I had was with a lady in the Business retention department who assured me she had organised a courier delivery for the next day. That was on August 5th. What am I doing wrong, or do rural customers not matter?

Highlighted
Retired Staff

Re: How do I get an upgrade for our Huawei B683 modem?

by johnr Retired Staff
Message 2 of 5 (352 Views)
What is wrong with the unit?
Ex VodafoneNZ staff member 17+ years and if you want real help from real people check out www.geekzone.co.nz
Posted from Samsung SM-G965F
Highlighted
Starter Poster

Message 3 of 5 (333 Views)

@johnr wrote:
What is wrong with the unit?

Thanks for asking.  Our internet connection drops out frequently if more than one device is being used. Sometimes the speed reminds me of dial up days. Our current laptop is approx a year old so I don't think it's the culprit.

Highlighted
Staff

by Staff wsfinest Staff
Message 4 of 5 (349 Views)

I am not  100% sure, but if you signed up for a new contract you should get 1 as well as maybe a more data for the same price, that's if you have not done this since getting the RBI unit years back. Also this is a 3G only unit and if you are using the Yagi on the roof you will need newer Yagi's installed, which will be for free if you sign a new contract. Sounds simple I know, I hope it is as simple as that

Highlighted
Starter Poster

Message 5 of 5 (332 Views)

Agreed, if only it was this simple.  I re-signed and renegotiated our contract when it expired after the initial 24 month term. I was told a new modem would be sent out but that never happened.  Every now and then I get back on the phone to Vodafone and ask again.  It is definitely a disadvantage to live in a rural area. Plans have gone up in price not down and choices of providers are very limited when you need to rely on a wireless connection.  

Stats
  • 4 Replies
  • 38w ago
  • 0 Kudos
  • 3 Contributors