Home office Fibre Max - HG659 vs Ultra Hub.

Highlighted
Starter Poster
Accepted Solution

Home office Fibre Max - HG659 vs Ultra Hub.

by Baz_56 Starter Poster
Message 1 of 6 (262 Views)

Hey Team,

So I've just switched to Fibre (specifcially FIbre Max) and want to get consistent speeds as I've seen drop-offs so far.

By drop-offs, I mean it goes from Fibre Max (700-900mb) to Fibre (100mb) speeds often and obviously it's pretty annoying having to reset both the Chorus unit and the VF modem. Sometimes even doing the hard reset does not resolve the issue.

As my home office setup is unique, I require a setup of the following:

• 2x LAN ports to office desktop computers
  • 1x LAN port to network printer
  • 1x LAN port to the PS4 (obviously the most important Smiley Wink)
  • 2x VOIP ports for the office landlines

At this stage, based on my investigations, it appears only the HG659 works for this setup on Vodafone. I rang up the support team (numerous times) and mentioned the issues I'm having so they had an Ultra Hub sent out, however, the Ultra Hub unit only has 3 LAN ports available and having to unplug/plug-in is certainly frustrating so I've kept the HG659 as our primary modem for the interim.

Previously I have been running the HG659 via VDSL and speeds remained consistent so I'm not sure why we're seeing the speed drops.

Is the Ultra Hub the better unit or should they both perform the same? Alternatively, is there a superior unit to the HG659 that Vodafone supplies with the 4 LAN ports and 2x VOIP ports. I understand we can't get a third party unit so I'm keen to get everyone's thoughts.

Highlighted
Starter Poster

Re: Home office Fibre Max - HG659 vs Ultra Hub.

by Baz_56 Starter Poster
Message 2 of 6 (258 Views)

Hi All,

Just thought I would provide further context regarding my printer and why it is needs to be connceted via LAN/USB as it would probably be the first thought for everyone re resolution.

My printer does not have wireless functionality so it can only be connected to a network via a LAN cable. When connected to the network, I can use the scan functionality to scan to a network folder or scan to email.

Unfortunately the Ultra Hub only distributes the printing capability via the network when connected through USB and does not actually connect to the network with full functionality (printing, scanning etc) when connected via LAN. I need it to be connected so I can both print and scan.

My employee also needs access so the LAN option makes most sense.

Cheers

Barry

Highlighted
Senior Contributor

by Senior Contributor shadow Senior Contributor
Message 3 of 6 (249 Views)

Few questions:

What are you using to measure speed against

Are you testing over Wifi or Ethernet?

Highlighted
Starter Poster

by Baz_56 Starter Poster
Message 4 of 6 (244 Views)

Hey there,

I'm measuring the speed at https://www.chorus.co.nz/speed-test using Vodafone as the host.

This is via ethernet.

Highlighted
Senior Contributor

by Senior Contributor MrMorm Senior Contributor
Message 5 of 6 (240 Views)

The Ultra Hub and the HG659 use the same chipset inside, so are effectively the same modem. Only the Wifi is different. 

Both modems do fibremax the same (ie they are both equally capable of fibremax speeds)

So from an ethernet connected viewpoint they are no different.

If you are finding yourself connecting at 100Mbit (both up and down) that usually suggests a cable fault where there is a broken wire and the cable negioates as 100Mbit LAN connection. You may want to check / swap the ethernet cables out and ensure they are labelled as Cat5e or Cat6 to get the speed. If all devices - LAN and WIFI are getting 100Mbit, then that can be an issue with the cable between the modem and ONT. But, say if, wifi devices are getting 200 and ethernet 100 then it is a device limitation of some sort. 

If speeds keep fluctuating on any device and despite calbe swaps then it could be  fibre fault, but this i less likely - fibre usually works or doesn't - variable speeds is very unusual.

The printer fucntion in either modem is for the USB onboard printer server, so it will only apply for USB connected devices. If you are connecting the printer over a LAN connection the modems are out of the picture for this as the printer and computers directly connect as a network printer service.

Highlighted
Senior Contributor

by Senior Contributor shadow Senior Contributor
Message 6 of 6 (221 Views)

Just a tip on speedtest servers: Sometimes they won't give you a true result as they are being hammered by others. e.g imagine the server has a 1gig ethernet link and more than 1 person hits it at once, the result in turn won't be a true result. Also the method of the test has an impact so what I would suggest if you are using Windows 10:

Go into the Windows Store and look for "Speedtest by Ookla", with your browsers shut try doing some tests in that.

Another good guide is fast.com, every ISP has (or should have) a Netflix Cache and this site uses that.

Stats
  • 5 Replies
  • 16w ago
  • 0 Kudos
  • 3 Contributors