HG659: WLAN connections do not drop off

Highlighted
Starter Poster
Accepted Solution

HG659: WLAN connections do not drop off

by smartcooky Starter Poster
Message 1 of 4 (1,066 Views)

We have recently upgraded  to fibre, and while that has gone really well, the HG659 router that replace our old Linksys router has been nothing but trouble. A brief expalanation is in order. to better understand our problem.

We are a  Photolab, and we have both wired (ethernet) and wireless devices connected. On the ethernet we have nine workstations and kiosks (all effectively Windows computers). On the WiFi we have two printers, a wifi-enabled camera, a laptop computer (Win 10) and two smartphones. We also have customer smart devices (phones, tablets, iPads etc) that connect temporarily so that they can send us photos or documents for printing.

Our problem appears to be that when these customers leave the shop, even though they go out of range, their device remains "connected",  i.e. their icons in the "WLAN Connected Devices" window remain coloured. (When the device is disconnected in the shop by "forgetting" our SSID or by  turning their wifi off, only then does the icon "grey out"). I have tested this personally using my smartphone. If I disconnect my phone in the shop, the icon for my phone greys out, but if I connect my phone and then walk away until its out of range  then turn the wifi off, when I come back, the icon for my phone remains coloured.

The consequence of this is that we soon run out of connections, so that new customers cannot connect, and our wifi-enabled camera (which only connects when the camera is switched on) can no longer send photos to our workstations. These "connected and now gone" devices remain connected for 24 hours, so that the only option is to log into the router and go to the Home Network > LAN Device Settings and delete them individually... and that is a time consuma pain in the backside.

What I want to know is, is there any way to have these connections drop off when they are no longer in range?

Staff

Re: HG659: WLAN connections do not drop off

by Staff Bogemon Staff
Message 2 of 4 (1,045 Views)

Hi

I understand the issue. But just thinking of a way for you to get it resolved is a problem as this was built for home/residential use where connections are more static and doesnt move around and will be in the same vicinity.

Let me do some testing and get back to you. wont be immidiete but i will get back to you.

regards

Dilhan

Device and CPE Engineer - Fixed Access
Vodafone.

"Please note that I am not a part of the social media team and help out on my own time where possible."
Starter Poster

Message 3 of 4 (1,032 Views)

Hi, and thank you for gettingback to me

Interesting you say that this router is designed more for home use. We installed fibre on a business connection, so I would have thought Vodafone would have supplied us with a router more suited to a business environment.

We have done a couple of things to try to alleviate the problem.

1. We have shifted all our customers onto the Guest network, and left that network open (no password)

2. In Home Network > WLAN Access > WLAN Access Rules we have selected Allow all devices in the WLAN (previously it was on Only allow specific devices in the WLAN with a big list of devices, none of which were checked.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to hearing any help you can give us

Starter Poster

[ Edited ]
Message 4 of 4 (786 Views)

Just an update:

These two steps appear to have completely resolved the problem. We have not had a single issue with being unable to make new connections since then.

Stats
  • 3 Replies
  • 1y ago
  • 0 Kudos
  • 2 Contributors