Do the HG659 modems still need

Starter Poster

Do the HG659 modems still need

by nozmak Starter Poster
Message 1 of 15 (117 Views)

I have just been upgraded to a HG659 modem approx 2 months ago.  I am currently paying for the Unlimited ADSL plan.

The HG659 modem has given me speeds between 2.04MBPS up to 20MBPS and then once up to 36.27 

I have been having various times without any internet and then it may reappear without any intervention from me. I have been offline for over 48 hours currently.  Last week it was down for over a day and then came back again by itself.

Before giving more details on all of the time I have spent trying to get this problem resolved - I am just wondering if the pinned post in this section still applies?  It looks to be by a former staffer and is called "Read me - Converting your HG659 to enable ADSL" 

Is there something which should be done with the modem to help it work better - and if so what should I ask for with terminology when I telephone Vodafone again?

I also see another poster writing in the pinned thread that Factory Reset will fix and the modem can also be used for Fibre? I have reset with the modem by using a small pin into hole at back but still not back online yet Smiley Sad

Fibre is currently being installed in my street but not sure if this will also be erratic when using the same copper and if I should consider mobile broadband plans instead?

Retired Staff

Re: Do the HG659 modems still need

by johnr Retired Staff
Message 2 of 15 (112 Views)

Are you speedtesting over Wi-Fi? Speedtests should only be done over Ethernet

When posting your speeds you used MBPS which is Mega Bytes I think you mean Mbps Mega bits

With your internet going off-line sounds like you have a house wiring issue impacting the xDSL connection if you are on a Naked home broadband connection (Phone line not delivered over POTS) then you should not be using the line filters

Ex VodafoneNZ staff member 17+ years and if you want real help from real people check out www.geekzone.co.nz
Retired Staff

[ Edited ]
by johnr Retired Staff
Message 3 of 15 (110 Views)

Check out this blog post done by Steve Biddle, If you have poor copper house wiring then this can really impact how stable home broadband can be

https://www.geekzone.co.nz/sbiddle/8357

Edit: If you are connected to VDSL then check out this thread on Geekzone, VDSL needs more care again

https://www.geekzone.co.nz/forums.asp?forumid=49&topicid=105744

Ex VodafoneNZ staff member 17+ years and if you want real help from real people check out www.geekzone.co.nz
Starter Poster

by nozmak Starter Poster
Message 4 of 15 (89 Views)

I cannot plug the DSL lead straight into the lounge jackpoint - it has to go into the wee splitter thingy which has a hole for it -as well as an empty slot for plugging a normal telephone handset into it ...

I am not sure about the house copper wiring but because I am a long term tenant unlikely to move - I doubt it will ever be rewired in my lifetime. I am also down a long shared driveway and know its over 120 metres to the terminal on the street but there is no sign of how the copperwires enter the house as no box to be found outside anywhere on the weatherboard etc Dont know where else to look yet ...

A nephew has now suggested wireless broadband plans as a way forward but this is because I am guessing that Fibre will cause the same trouble if it is also dependent on old copper wiring?   I was also told about a $5 a month plan for repairs & maintenance of wiring by one of the callcenter staff but not sure if this is just in relation to whats already buried outside or not?  I am also not sure my landlord would give permission for any vodafone workmen to pull out wires inside basement etc

This is the longest time its been offline as previously it would crash in the evenings and then be up running again by itself in the morning - so not sure what is going on yet?  I did hope I could keep the 24/7 broadband for safety reasons and also for when my grandsons come visit so they can go online with their school chromebooks - but if I am paying so much for internet which will just crash and restart itself again whenever - perhaps going online via my mobile phone may be the only choice I have?  

ps I have just figured out how to do this getting online finally with Hotspot but it looks like I would have to pay even more again every month with Vodafone if I try to link my cell phone to my laptop Smiley Sad

Starter Poster

by nozmak Starter Poster
Message 5 of 15 (99 Views)

Thank you John - you are right I just checked the Ookla website for the speed tests as it was a link from the Vodafone webpage - and it is Mbps and not MBPS. I have also been doing the tests over a wireless signal as I have no lead plugged in from the laptop to the modem.  The modem itself is plugged into a jackpoint and has one of those small filters on it. I will remove this and see if it helps Smiley Happy

Retired Staff

by johnr Retired Staff
Message 6 of 15 (84 Views)
If you have anyone Telephone Jack points around the house make sure they are all isolated from the telephone jack point you have the modem plugged into
Posted from Samsung SM-G965F
Starter Poster

by nozmak Starter Poster
Message 7 of 15 (55 Views)

I am not sure if I am doing the right things John but I have tried the modem in the other 2 jackpoints and none of them are connecting to the internet - the modem just shows the WIFI and the power lights running 

One thing which I have tried since your emails yesterday is to recheck the OOkla test but with my cellphone hotspotted instead of the modem and the results have brought me back to a Vodafone provider.  I also managed to get a quick word with my neighbour and learned that they have just switched from Vodagfone due to their unhappiness with service and he mentioned that during setup apparently my house was linked and then unlinked somewhere?   This would have been during the same 24 hours from sound of it where ...they got online and I went offline ....

So it looks like during the week while they were getting themselves online as they are hoping to go onto Fibre soon and have some new modem which will switch to this I was not getting any vodafone results under Ookla etc So if perchance I am sharing some copper wires with my neighbour down the long driveway ....could this have been part of the problem because it definitely looks like I was also showing up on speedtests with my laptop as My Republic for the past week too?   

I am just wondering if with My Republic apparently unlinking me because they had mine which was the wrong house number for the neighbouring account holders credit card  .... does this mean that I am in some kind of limbo somewhere?

I am not sure if I am using the correct words and I have found the Helpdesk people very difficult to follow sadly.... so not sure what to ask them to check etc

Retired Staff

[ Edited ]
by johnr Retired Staff
Message 8 of 15 (51 Views)

Check what IP address your connection is allocated? IP chicken will tell you

https://www.ipchicken.com/

Posted from Samsung SM-G965F
Starter Poster

by nozmak Starter Poster
Message 9 of 15 (46 Views)

I am still using the mobile data from vodahone and hotspotting it to my laptop John ...but there are 4 lots of numbers listed.  But under the Advanced Name Address it is coming up with pretty much the same bunch of numbers in a different order and then dyn.cust.vf.net.nz 

I will see if I can find another IP reference under the OOkla website when it was showing My Republic as my provider before it went offline ..  and then I started pulling my hair out with Network Troubleshooters telling me that my DNS does not exist etc 

Retired Staff

by johnr Retired Staff
Message 10 of 15 (44 Views)

Looks like Chorus NZ has crossed some wires somewhere, You need to log a fault with VodafoneNZ

Stats
  • 14 Replies
  • 2w ago
  • 0 Kudos
  • 2 Contributors