Best way to increase wifi in house

Highlighted
Starter Poster

Best way to increase wifi in house

by SteveHart96 Starter Poster
Message 1 of 5 (1,122 Views)

I have trolled through the other answers here and still a little confused - hope the community is able to help.

I live in a 2 story house with a centrally located stairwell and a number of internal walls.

I have recently change from from FibreX to true Fibre.  The FibreX modem and router were in a central part of the house and I got reasonable wifi coverage everywhere.  My Fibre is FibreMax so was hoping to be getting great responsive access throughout house.

When the Chorus guys installed the fibre the ONT was located downstairs at one end of teh house and a Vodafone Ultra Hub also installed and configured nearby, which is great for my cable connection to smart TV BUT means my wifi access n the other ends of the house and upstairs (All the bedrooms!) has rubbish wifi and I'm btter using my phone data. . . . . 

I have 3 pieces of hardware:

Vodafone Ultra Hub - currently connected to the ONT

the FibreX modem (now junk??) and a HG659 router currently not connected to anything.

Belkin Router Dual-Band Wireless - AC1750 recently purchased and not connected to anything.

Can I use these 3 items together to somehow improve my wifi in the whole house . . .  . 

As a complication I had ethernet ports and cabling installed in my walls when we did a renovation which has ports in 3 bedroms, fed off cable connections at a port hub that is located where the old modem and router were located.  It would be great to have that functionality reused - but not essential.

Please help Smiley Happy

Starter Poster

Re: Best way to increase wifi in house

by Provxpert Starter Poster
Message 2 of 5 (1,113 Views)

You can use your Belkin Router in Bridge Mode.

Follow link below:

http://www.belkin.com/us/support-article?articleNum=10759

Thanks

Starter Poster

Message 3 of 5 (1,109 Views)

Thankyou.

Both the hg659 and the belkin router do bridging I believe.

Do I connect one of them via cable to the Ultra Hub and put into bridging mode?

I connect the other one via wifi to the router in bridiging mode somewhere with good signal more central to the house???  Is this one in bridging mode also or standard mode?

Do I need to turn off the wifi on the ultra hub so I don't get clashes? 

Can that all be set up with one network ssid so devices can be set up and connect seamlessly wherever I am?

Sorry for all the additional questions.

Starter Poster

by Provxpert Starter Poster
Message 4 of 5 (1,104 Views)

Both the hg659 and the belkin router do bridging I believe. - YES

Do I connect one of them via cable to the Ultra Hub and put into bridging mode? - YOU CAN RUN A CAT5 ETHERNET CABLE FROM LAN1 OF ULTRAHUB(STANDARD MODE)  TO WLAN OF BELKIN(BRIDGE MODE).

I connect the other one via wifi to the router in bridiging mode somewhere with good signal more central to the house??? OR YOU CAN BRIDGE THROUGH WIFI.

Is this one in bridging mode also or standard mode? YES. BELKIN CAN BE IN BRIDGE AND ULTRAHUB IN STANDARD.

Do I need to turn off the wifi on the ultra hub so I don't get clashes? NOT NECESSARILY, YOU CAN KEEP BOTH ON FOR BETTER COVERAGE.

Can that all be set up with one network ssid so devices can be set up and connect seamlessly wherever I am? THIS WILL BE TRIAL AND ERROR. THERE MAY BE SOME DOWNTIME OF SECOND OF 2 WHILE THE DEVICES RECONNECT TO OTHER WIFI.

Starter Poster

Message 5 of 5 (1,091 Views)

Thanks Provxpert Smiley Happy

I'm still a litle confused but nearly there.

Are you saying I can/should have the Ultra hub operating as is including the wifi networks.  The Belkin router I can set up in best position for upstairs coverage, and in bridging mode connect to the wifi of the Ultrahub - no direct cabling required?

Stats
  • 4 Replies
  • 1y ago
  • 2 Kudos
  • 2 Contributors