iPhone prefers to hang on to weak cell signal instead of strong Sure Signal V3

Highlighted
Starter Poster
Accepted Solution

iPhone prefers to hang on to weak cell signal instead of strong Sure Signal V3

by Gazzamatazz Starter Poster
Message 1 of 6 (285 Views)

When coming back into the signal area covered by our Sure Signal V3 (e.g. when returning home), our two iPhone 8s prefer to hang onto weak (one signal bar) cellular coverage and not switch to the stronger (full signal) Sure Signal. We have to walk underneath the Sure Signal device to enter our house yet both iPhones remain on Vodafone public network and rarely switch to the Sure Signal (SS).

Our Vodafone signal is weak (hence the Sure Signal) in our downstairs area and upstairs is usually one or two bars but increases to three or four bars when on a call. Downstairs callers complain about poor quality calls with frequent dropouts and stuttering audio. The SS is centrally located and no more than 12 metres from users

We have 100Mb download fibre with 50Mb upload - very reliable and steady. We live in Botany Downs. Vodafone is our carrier, VNGS provides our broadband service. The SS was purchased from Vodafone.

We have tried both automatic network selection and manual selection of our mobile network. The Sure Signal doesn't appear as an option to be selected manually. Turning off the phones and back on when in the SS coverage area results in the SS being selected and the phones stay on that network until we leave home.

We often see the in-service light on the SS activated even though neither of our two occupants is making or receiving calls. I suspect our neighbours are benefitting from our Sure Signal.

How do we set up the Sure Signal or iPhones so the Sure Signal is the preferred network when it has the best coverage? Does Vodafone have a better product - now or proposed?

Retired Staff

Re: iPhone prefers to hang on to weak cell signal instead of strong Sure Signal V3

by johnr Retired Staff
Message 2 of 6 (281 Views)
Sure Signal is now EOL and out of support and it looks like Wi-Fi calling is coming
Ex VodafoneNZ staff member 17+ years and if you want real help from real people check out www.geekzone.co.nz
Posted from Samsung SM-G965F
Starter Poster

Re: iPhone prefers to hang on to weak cell signal instead of strong Sure Signal V3

Message 3 of 6 (278 Views)

Thanks John - that could be a great long term answer, but I would prefer it was offered before support for my existing product was withdrawn

Retired Staff

by johnr Retired Staff
Message 4 of 6 (276 Views)
You need to call and make sure the Sure Signal unit has the latest firmware version on it. I know the fixed line team use to do this and if the unit did not have the latest firmware they could push it out.

Not sure if the process now as I have been gone over 2 years
Ex VodafoneNZ staff member 17+ years and if you want real help from real people check out www.geekzone.co.nz
Starter Poster

Message 5 of 6 (272 Views)

Good thinking - I'll ring tomorrow and ask the question

Thank you, John - that's very helpful

Retired Staff

by johnr Retired Staff
Message 6 of 6 (265 Views)
Good luck Smiley Tongue
Stats
  • 5 Replies
  • 10w ago
  • 0 Kudos
  • 2 Contributors