Voicemail does not work while overseas!

Starter Poster
Accepted Solution

Voicemail does not work while overseas!

by Nzlockie Starter Poster
Message 1 of 10 (1,209 Views)

I travel overseas about six months out of the year. Early this year I discovered that when I leave a temporary message on my voicemail informing my customers which date I’ll be back, nobody can hear it as my phone does not appear to play it! 

It it is super annoying as it costs me expensive roaming charges every time I have to call Vodafone to have them try (unsuccessfully) to resolve the issue. Not to mention the fact that I am working and don’t really have time to sit on hold while I wait for someone who usually has no record that this has consistently been happening to me, to answer and tell me to change my phone settings etc. And as others have pointed out, it’s 2018 and vodafone still has no email support. 

this is time I am merely across the ditch in Australia. My wife is with me this time and I’ve just verified that her voicemail message is not playing either. 

Im here for two weeks and my regular clients have no idea, and I have way of telling them.

Considering im paying around $150/month for this “service”, I’m pretty frustrated. 

Yesterday I looked up Spark for plans. Unfortunately they suck even worse, but I’ll be honest, I think I have to consider it. 

Please vodafone, sort this out!

Posted from Apple iPad
Starter Poster

Re: Voicemail does not work while overseas!

Message 2 of 10 (1,152 Views)

Sooo, no answers, no comments, no emails, not even a text message. 

This is so bad. Not cool Vodafone, not cool. 

Im out. 

Posted from Apple iPad
Senior Contributor

by Senior Contributor gregmcc Senior Contributor
Message 3 of 10 (1,149 Views)

try email Jason.Paris@vodafone.com

He is the NZ big boss, or go over to geekzone.co.nz and post in the VF forum there, he is a frequent visitor there.

you are right the customer service is beyond shocking.

Retired Staff

by Retired Staff MikeHales Retired Staff
Message 4 of 10 (1,126 Views)

@Nzlockie

Apologies for delay in replying.

Are you using the temporary message on your voicemail or the normal personal greeting?

m

Product Owner AI & Automated Support
Vodafone New Zealand
Starter Poster

Message 5 of 10 (1,118 Views)

As mentioned in the original post, I'm using a Temporary message. My wife is using her regular message. 
In both instances, callers either hear the phone ring until it clicks off with a "The Mobile number you have dialled is not active or..." or else it doesn't even ring. My number is 0224228865. Feel free to call away and hear it for yourself. I'll be here until Monday. As soon as I land in NZ, I will bet you any money you like that the message will play correctly.

I would appreciate it if you could solve it, but to be honest I think I've had enough. Even though Spark is a far worse deal than Vodafone, it's just not feasible for me to have this issue every time I'm overseas. It also sucks that I have to pay $5/NZ day to resolve a problem that is not my fault in the first place. The last time this happened I was in the States and you guys spent three days trying to fix it, at my cost, and despite conceeding there was a problem, there wasn't even an offer of reimbursment.  
I just simply can't risk this happening again. It costs me too much lost business. I'm going to take a Spark phone overseas on my next trip and test it out. If the voicemail system works, I'll have to switch.  

I say this not as some kind of threat. I'm under no illusions that my pathetic little $150/month plan amounts to a drop in the Vodafone revenue ocean. I don't expect the loss of my business will be noticed by the shareholders at all. I don't think it gives me any kind of leverage to try and get you guys to fix my problem. I expect you hear this all the time. 

No actually I'm just genuinely frustrated. Telecom screwed me over pretty badly when I first signed up with them and I swore I'd never go with them again. You guys are now forcing me to break that promise. As a business owner, I rely on my phone working wherever i am, and in NZ, unfortunately that means you or Spark. 

I want you guys to know that you are losing me because of things you can easily fix:

1. Give us a way to contact you that does not cost me money in roaming charges, and in time spent waiting on the phone. 
It's 2018, give me an email address! 

2. When you realise that your customers have a service, that THEY ARE PAYING FOR, and they are not receiving, offer them compensation. In my case, offer to reimburse me the roaming charges. Offer to divert my phone to a service/phone based in NZ, so that my message will play. I realise that sometimes that will go down like a lead balloon. From my perspective it doesn't address that literal hours that i spend waiting and wondering if it's going to get fixed, but at least it is SOMETHING. Some acknowledgement that you are sympathetic.

3. $5/day Roaming is a great deal when people are on holiday. But it SUCKS when people travel alone for work. When I land, my wife would appreciate a quick text to say the plane didn't crash. Now that text costs me $5 to send. 
The bigger issue is an ethical one. You didn't make this scheme opt-in. You  didn't even make this scheme opt-out!
If I want the Business level plan, I have no option. 
Ideally I should be able to pay normal roaming charges until I hit the $5 cap. After that I don't pay any more until the next 24hr cycle begins. But even if this wasn't possible, ethically, you shouldn't force me to accept your $5/day deal. It should be MY choice.

4. Minor annoyance, but sometime ago, the setup menu got changed. Now temporary messages are recorded from a completely different sub menu to regular voicemail messages. That was a terrible decision. It's such a minor thing but it was so inconvenient, and not logical at all. 

I hope you figure it out. I have no faith that Spark is going to be any better. So if you DO figure it out, please let me know. I'm starting my travel again in January and I will keep my account active until then. but I'm definitely testing the Spark phone and if that one works and yours doesn't, I'm switching no matter what.

Starter Poster

Message 6 of 10 (787 Views)
Update: sure enough, as soon as I got to NZ both phones started paying their relative messages with no issue. Went into my local vodafone shop and spent some time trying to resolve this issue.
Vodafone promised that they would have some special technician person call me in the next three days, but it never happened.
Heading back to the states next week and I purchased a Spark phone yesterday. My plan is to try both cards in both phones. That should tell me definitively whether it's the phone or the telco provider.

Im looking forward to finally getting to the bottom of the problem but it's beyond annoying that the end user has had to spend so much time and money to work this out.
Posted from Samsung SM-G930F
Staff

[ Edited ]
by Staff wsfinest Staff
Message 7 of 10 (738 Views)

The store cant fix this for you. Besides the USA, what other countries has this affected you while visiting Also if you can remember the carrier you where on when having the issue.

AT&T and T Mobile in the USA should work fine.

Starter Poster

Message 8 of 10 (715 Views)

Hi wsfinest! 

You're not wrong about the store not being able to fix it for me - but you'll understand that Vodafone tech support hasn't been able to fix it for me either! At least I got to watch actual humans TRYING to fix it. That made me feel a little better. 

It has happened while I've been in the USA, Australia, Canada, Tonga, Samoa, Germany, England, Switzerland, Czech Republic and Austria. It was probably happening in other countries as well, but I can't prove that because after a while I just assumed my message wouldn't play and stopped checking it. 

When I'm in the States it usually connects to T-Mobile. During one of my tech support calls, they had me manually switch to a different provider as well. No effect. 

As someone who does tech support himself, I know how annoying it can be when the customer tries to "help", but since this is proving to be unsolvable anyway - I noticed that this issue started happening around the end of 2017, beginning of 2018. That was also coincidentially right around the time that Vodafone seems to have made some fairly significant changes to the automatic setting/voicemail system you reach when you dial 707. See my previous post where I mention the fact that you used to set your temporary message form the same place as you set you normal message. Right around the time that this got changed to having to go into a different area to set the temporary message is the time that this fault started happening. It occured to me that possibly vodafone had changed some software or something, and nobody had checked whether the Voicemail settings were going to be supported by other networks. 

To sum up my position:

To eliminate my Phone's SOFTWARE being the issue, I defaulted everything and made sure I had the latest updates installed. 
To eliminate my PHONE being the issue, I tested my Wife's phone. She was experiencing the same problem. I'm Samsung S7 and she is Samsung S8.
To eliminate the NETWORK being the problem, I switched my phone to a different network. (At Vodafone's request)

The temporary message plays perfectly anytime I'm in NZ. 

So my conclusion is either: 

1) There's something wrong with the way my particular account is set up. 
- this is the most likely in my opinion, because otherwise you guys would be inundated with customers having similar issues. Trawling the internet, I've only found one UK Vodafone customer from several years ago who has had the same problem. My wife is on my account, so that would explain her experiencing the same issue. 

2) There's something wrong with the way Vodafone NZ has set up voicemail to work when processed by a different network.
- It clearly works fine in NZ, so that's something. The major reason I don't think it's this is because I have the same problem in Australia, and SURELY Vodafone NZ and Vodafone Australia are as similar as can be. I don't know that for a fact though, so I guess it could be this. 

If I were in Vodafone's position, (and assuming I actually WANTED to keep this customer) I would do whatever you guys do at the back end to switch my phone to a completely new account. That might mean giving me a free month or something, just for testing purposes before switching me back to the original account. But even that would be cheaper for Vodafone than the estimated 20hrs you guys must have invested into this so far.
If the problem still exists, then that would eliminate one of the two possible causes. 

I'm going overseas again next week. This will be the last chance Vodafone has to fix THIS customer's problem, and while I'm certainly open to testing things for them, unless someone can assure me they're going to try something new, I'm not going to waste MY money on it this time. That means I won't be ringing them or texting them unless my phone has already been used for that day, and I certainly won't be instigating sitting up to all hours, waiting on hold.

Sorry if that sounds harsh, but I think I've been incredibly accomodating so far, and everybody has their point, you know?

Starter Poster

Message 9 of 10 (626 Views)
UPDATE:
Well i'm in the frozen north of canada and I have for days worth of missed calls. For nostalgic sake I decided to call vodafone tech support one last time to see whether anyone could figure why my voicemail wasn't working.

KATE, the most amazing tech support guru ever decided there was something wrong with my account. She got me to set up a new one from scratch and voila, problem is SOLVED.

Thanks Kate! Vodafone needs to promote you, give you a raise and the rest of the week off.
You've saved this account from walking at least.
Starter Poster

Message 10 of 10 (622 Views)
Oh and for the record vodafone, I don't want to say I told you so, but...
Turns out it WAS my account that was the issue.
Stats
  • 9 Replies
  • 26w ago
  • 1 Kudo
  • 4 Contributors