Voicemail does not work while overseas!

Highlighted
New Poster

Re: Voicemail does not work while overseas!

by FreeDrive New Poster
Message 11 of 15 (243 Views)

Unbelievable to read this. I have had this problem for years when in UK for business from NZ. Won't go into detail but had exactly the same run around with my customers here in NZ thinking the business had closed with that stupid 'number no longer available' rubbish.

Vodafone 'Ninjas' finally admitted to me its a problem and they can't fix it. A complete unprofessional circus every time

So what is the account fix? Can I get this info or the last name of the brilliant Kate?

Funnily or not so funny - we transferred some of our business accounts to Spark and right now one of my partners is in the UK and getting exactly the same problem from Spark.

Seriously - if any one can enlighten me as to what is wrong in the set up that causes this I would be very grateful.

Highlighted
Starter Poster

[ Edited ]
by Nzlockie Starter Poster
Message 12 of 15 (238 Views)

Hi Freedrive!

sorry to hear you have this problem too. 
I have an update for you, but I'm not sure how helpful it'll be. 

After the great Kate got it working, I found that the problem came back again. I think I got one more trip with it working and then normal (non)service resumed. BUT, this time I knew that the problem was in the settings. Since then I've had to call them twice more, and each time I tell them that there's something in my account settings that makes this fault happen. I tell them the story of Kate, and they seem to be able to find it and fix it pretty easily. 

Whoever fixed it last time must have done something special because it's worked for the last six or seven trips in a row, 

If it helps, I'm on one of their Red Essentials plans. Not sure which one, but I pay about $150/month for me and my wife, so that might narrow it down. 

I really hope you get it sorted. I never did find out what happened to Kate, I can only assume she's been headhunted by some hugely successful corporate and is deservedly making millions now. 

Posted from Apple iPad
Highlighted
Retired Staff

by johnr Retired Staff
Message 13 of 15 (229 Views)
The main reason why calls will not divert back to New Zealand Voicemail platform is cause end users have played around with the divert setup. The quick fix is to go into the diverts menu on your handset and ' cancel all diverts '

This will not remove the OCCF which is set to 6421700100

Many end users play around with diverts on the phone and end up putting in diverts off to 6421700700 which take priority over the OCCF
Ex VodafoneNZ staff member 17+ years and if you want real help from real people check out www.geekzone.co.nz
Posted from Samsung SM-G965F
Highlighted
Starter Poster

by Nzlockie Starter Poster
Message 14 of 15 (226 Views)

Hi Johnr,

Thanks for that - I'm sure that info will be useful for someone else reading this thread one day, but if you were suggesting that that might have been the case in MY situation, I can assure you that's not what was happening. 

My standard practice is to set my new temporary message before leaving, and that's it. I've never touched a setting for diverts. Multiple times I was asked to return my phone to factory settings, which I did with no change. 

I also tested this problem on a different phone and that did the same thing. 

Also, surely your suggestion would affect the incoming calls regardless of where I was in the world right? 
If I were back in NZ, the phone would still be diverted right? But no, if I'm in NZ, even if I have a temporary voicemail message playing, the system behaves as normal - overseas and it fails. 

I'm wondering whether something similar to what you're describing IS happening, but that maybe there was some line of code in the background that is not doing what it's supposed to do.
It seems like when my phone hooks into an overseas network, some switch did not get thrown that should have gotten thrown. For as long as I'm on a foreign network, any incoming calls usually get played a weird sound and then hung up on. The second my phone clicks ito the NZ network again, everything is back to normal.

To be very clear - I haven't changed anything other than my temporary message.

Also, to close up one little loose end from this thread, when I did my test with the Spark phone for that month, it survived two overseas trips and behaved perfectly each time.      

Highlighted
Retired Staff

by johnr Retired Staff
Message 15 of 15 (217 Views)
Resetting a handset to default has zero with diverts! What moron told you to do that? Bahahaha the diverts are on the network side of the carrier

OMG world class customer service
Ex VodafoneNZ staff member 17+ years and if you want real help from real people check out www.geekzone.co.nz
Posted from Samsung SM-G965F
Stats
  • 14 Replies
  • 1y ago
  • 1 Kudo
  • 6 Contributors