Vodafone 2g SIM not working in Nokia 1100

Highlighted
Starter Poster

Vodafone 2g SIM not working in Nokia 1100

by hn_voda Starter Poster
Message 1 of 4 (205 Views)

I have an ancient UK Nokia 1100 that I've had for 14+ years, and it still works very well. It's a Virgin UK phone, and here in NZ it piggybacks onto Vodafone network. However, the roaming charges increased significantly just the other day, so I thought I'd buy a local SIM. I read that Vodafone have a specific 2g SIM card, and I asked for one of these at the Vodafone store the other day. However, the message on boot-up says "SIM not OK". The assistant suggested the phone may need unlocking. I checked with Virgin UK, and they say the phone was never locked. I notice the Vodafone cardboard envelope that comes with the SIM says 4g, and I understand it should be backwards-compatible with 2g. However, when I compare the two SIMs, although they are a similar size, the actual layouts are quite different - the 6 contact pins of the Nokia, have left 6 clear marks on the Virgin SIM card, and it looks to me that they don't line up the same way on the Vodafone SIM.

So, to my question - is there a specfic 2g Vodafone SIM card available, different from this 2g/3g/4g one that I have?

Thanks in advance,

Harry

Highlighted
Retired Staff

Re: Vodafone 2g SIM not working in Nokia 1100

by johnr Retired Staff
Message 2 of 4 (198 Views)

@hn_voda  I looked after SIM cards end to end from the technology side in VodafoneNZ for many years and any SIM card should just work in the Nokia handset

There is no such thing as a 2G SIM card only and 4G printed on the SIM card is just branding soon they will say 5G

Ex VodafoneNZ staff member 17+ years and if you want real help from real people check out www.geekzone.co.nz
Highlighted
Expert Contributor

by Expert Contributor Expert Contributor
Message 3 of 4 (190 Views)

that;s an old phone... I use to have one of those in 2004 ish

I've had a few actually one that would give a ''insert sim'' error

Often had to send it away to get the firmware upgraded.

Highlighted
Starter Poster

by hn_voda Starter Poster
Message 4 of 4 (162 Views)

I got my 1100 'late' in the game - not until July 2005. I had a closer inspection of both NZ and UK SIMs and, although the layouts appear to have quite different designs, I can see the 6 contact points of the phone would coincide with the equivalent SIM regions on the new (NZ) SIM. So, probably it's a firmware issue, as you say (given John's earlier info, above).

Thanks,

Harry

Stats
  • 3 Replies
  • 12w ago
  • 0 Kudos
  • 3 Contributors