Sure Signal compatible with wireless rural broadband?

Highlighted
hdh
Starter Poster
Accepted Solution

Sure Signal compatible with wireless rural broadband?

by hdh Starter Poster
Message 1 of 6 (740 Views)

Will the above combo work? We're on Vodafone cellular broadband and while the signal's fine for that (with a fixed antenna mounted high on the house), it's marginal at best for phone reception at ground level, so I'm hoping to fix that with a Sure Signal.

Ninja Adept

Re: Sure Signal compatible with wireless rural broadband?

by Ninja Adept Ninja Adept Ninja Adept
Message 2 of 6 (734 Views)

Hi there.

We don't support the combo from a technical perspective but yes they should work fine together presuming your RBI maintains a steady 4G conncection.

Senior Contributor

by Senior Contributor coffeebaron Senior Contributor
Message 3 of 6 (717 Views)
Make sure you lock the modem to 4G only Do not use RBI voice line
hdh
Starter Poster

by hdh Starter Poster
Message 4 of 6 (715 Views)

How does one lock it? I can see how to set it to LTE preferred, but that's not the same as LTE only. 

What happens if it falls back to 3G - does that just mean we lose Sure Signal functionality, or can it get into a closed loop where the modem tries to connect to the femtocell rather than an actual celltower?

I'm guessing it will only drop back to 3G in really bad weather conditions - we have about -95 dBm Rsrp & Rssi on the modem normally.

Senior Contributor

by Senior Contributor coffeebaron Senior Contributor
Message 5 of 6 (712 Views)
Hmm, so perhaps the Vodafone branded 4G modems don't allow lock to 4G? I do installs for a few of the resellers of RBI, e.g. https://fullflavour.nz/rural-wireless-broadband/ or https://www.ultimatebroadband.co.nz/rbi-4g-wireless.html When deploying a SureSignal, we lock to 4G only and if customer wants phone line then we use VoIP. Also Static IP is recommended. If you use RBI voice, then modem steps down to 3G allowing the risk of RBI connection camping on to SureSignal creating a closed loop.
Ninja Adept

by Ninja Adept Ninja Adept Ninja Adept
Message 6 of 6 (678 Views)

Yeah correct the VF provided modems can't be set to 4G only 4G preferred is it.

That said so long as there's sufficient 4G signal there shouldn't be a reason for it to drop to 3G unless there's some outage, or you also have a calling plan on it which means it will drop to 3G (no voice over 4G currenty).

If the modem is connected to an external yagi it also decreases the change of the modem trying to connect to the 3G U2100 generated from the femto as every chance it will have higher signal from the external site.

Stats
  • 5 Replies
  • 34w ago
  • 2 Kudos
  • 3 Contributors