Slow mobile data

Starter Poster

Slow mobile data

by dannz989 Starter Poster
Message 1 of 5 (1,056 Views)

When I run a Speedtest on my iPhone X (Red+ plan) I get approximately 13 Mbps download and 1.65 Mbps upload.  The app shows my connection as 'LTE' but I'm showing 4G at the top right of my screen.

Voda LTE.jpg

When my colleague runs the same test on his Samsung S8 (2Degrees network) he gets approximately 77 Mbps download and 40 Mbps upload.

Why is my connection so much slower?  I assume Voda LTE is comparable in speed to other that offered by other telcos?  Am I not actually connected to Voda LTE?

Highlighted
Business Ninja Adept

Re: Slow mobile data

by Business Ninja Adept Business Ninja Adept Business Ninja Adept
Message 2 of 5 (1,047 Views)

4G = LTE, same thing.

VodafoneNZ LTE speed is great and comprable or better than other NZ carriers -- see https://www.vodafone.co.nz/network/speed/ (Fastest 4G mobile download speeds on average in NZ, According to test results in P3 benchmark report published April 2017 (testing conducted February 2017). ).

Here is a speedtest I took on my iPhone 7 on VodafoneNZ LTE right now

Coverage can vary from location to location and also depends on enviromental factors. Try a speedtest in another location Smiley Happy Perhaps you are in an area where 2D has a marginal advantage over Vodafone or it is poor inbuilding coverage.

speedtest.jpg

NOC Engineer | Vodafone NZ
Starter Poster

Message 3 of 5 (1,019 Views)

Tried it outside my building after work yesterday.  Litterally in the middle of Wellington (corner of Willis St and Lambton Quay) - 18.2 Mbps down and 8 Mbps up.  Walked further down Lambton Quay and tried again - 8.38 down and 16.9 up.  Finally tried at home (10 km to the north) - 99.5 down and 8 up.  Seems to me that Vodafone doesn't have great coverage in the middle of town.

Starter Poster

Message 4 of 5 (982 Views)

At this point I'm assuming that when you say "an area where 2D has a marginal advantage over Vodafone" this means the Wellington CBD.  Nothing further to add @sebastianbd?

Business Ninja Adept

by Business Ninja Adept Business Ninja Adept Business Ninja Adept
Message 5 of 5 (979 Views)

No further value to add here. - Clearly this area where you have tested is a location where for one reason or another (plenty of variable factors) another carrier has a marginal advantage over Vodafone. There will be plenty of other areas across the country where we have significant advantage over other carriers.. - Hence why we have the fastest 4G mobile download speeds on average in NZ.

https://news.vodafone.co.nz/article/vodafone-named-fastest-mobile-and-fixed-network-operator-new-zea...

http://www.p3-networkanalytics.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/10/20160520_CERTIFICATE_Vodafone-New-Zeal...

Best Regards,

Sebastian

NOC Engineer | Vodafone NZ
Stats
  • 4 Replies
  • 38w ago
  • 0 Kudos
  • 2 Contributors