Reactivating old mobile number

Highlighted
Starter Poster
Accepted Solution

Reactivating old mobile number

by veeunit Starter Poster
Message 1 of 14 (263 Views)

Having just returned back from overseas, I would love/need to use my old number I used to have prior to leaving. I topped up when I left about a year ago - just turned the phone on and have a text sitting there from 11 sept 2020 that I needed to top up again to avoid disconnection. This has just gone over the 1 year + 30 day period so I believe the number has moved into quarantine.

Tried to live chat (since i cant call) but the support staff couldnt/didnt do much. Read up online and this is possible if someone is willing to try hard enough?

http://help.vodafone.co.nz/app/answers/detail/a_id/29033/~/get-an-old-mobile-number-back

Can anything be done to salvage the number? Or is it possible for me to try get it back via recycle? I have a bunch of services tied to the number for verification (OTP codes, verification txts etc) - a few too many to remember until I actually need to use them so dont want to lose it if possible.

Appreciate any help anyone can provide with this - it would save me a ton of time and pain!

Highlighted
Retired Staff

@Re: Reactivating old mobile number

by johnr Retired Staff
Message 2 of 14 (248 Views)

@veeunit  A reactivation takes time and costs the business $$ you should of topped up before the number expired 

Further to this reminder SMS are sent out before credit and prepay numbers expire!

Ex VodafoneNZ staff member 17+ years and if you want real help from real people check out www.geekzone.co.nz
Highlighted
Starter Poster

Re: Reactivating old mobile number

Message 3 of 14 (243 Views)
Hi John, yes understand that. An oversight/mistake from my part, but I wasnt expecting to be stuck overseas for as long as i had.

I had topped up before i left, hoping to be back in time to pick up the connection again. Looks like ive just gone over by about a week, given the timings the reminders were sent but unfortunately I didnt have access to the phone/connection otherwise I wouldve taken action.

Im happy to reimburse 'the business' for their time and effort... just keen to understand if its possible.
Posted from Samsung SM-G965F
Highlighted
Expert Contributor

by Expert Contributor Expert Contributor
Message 4 of 14 (240 Views)

@veeunit wrote:
Hi John, yes understand that. An oversight/mistake from my part, but I wasnt expecting to be stuck overseas for as long as i had.

I had topped up before i left, hoping to be back in time to pick up the connection again. Looks like ive just gone over by about a week, given the timings the reminders were sent but unfortunately I didnt have access to the phone/connection otherwise I wouldve taken action.

Im happy to reimburse 'the business' for their time and effort... just keen to understand if its possible.

Let me guess. You were stuck over there due to covid?

Posted from Apple iPad
Highlighted
Starter Poster

Message 5 of 14 (238 Views)

Unfortunately yes. Was over due to work (had my work phone + connection with me), was due to return back just prior to second lockdown (which would've seen me reuse the deactivated number with plenty of time) but struggled to get a flight back.

A bit gutted I couldnt get to the phone/didnt remember about this connection during the 14 day quarantine period, or else I would've remembered to top it up as it was still within the 30 day post 1 year period in which you're allowed to top up and keep the number going.

Highlighted
Expert Contributor

[ Edited ]
Message 6 of 14 (230 Views)

What about walking into your local Vodafone Store and asking to have your number put onto a pay monthly plan.

Just give them your number (don't mention the non topup thing) and let them sort it out. And if they manage to get it up and running then get it ported back to prepay. If going On account they might be more inclined to help you see.  This is what I would do if I was in your shoes.

~ Christopher

Highlighted
Starter Poster

Message 7 of 14 (220 Views)

Ah, great minds somewhat (albeit my oversight earlier).

I did exactly this yesterday but no luck. I offered to go on open plan Pay Monthly ($40 - Small plan I think it was) as long as they could assign me the same number at the local store. Went through the process, but unfortunately the number wasnt 'available' when we got to the final selection screen, presumably because its in 'quarantine'.

I dont think the store staff are technically capable to do something like this as I'm assuming it involves a bit of jiggery/pokery to get the number 'activated' in the back (no disrespect to them).

Highlighted
Expert Contributor

Message 8 of 14 (218 Views)

And they didn't call dealer support?

Highlighted
Starter Poster

Message 9 of 14 (216 Views)

Nope, I didnt see staff call anyone. I told them I wanted that specific number, happy to have it go Pay Monthly, went through the process, and at the end, he simply said the number wasnt available and that I could choose an alternative which was close to the number I wanted. I aborted the process - theres no need for me to get a number 'similar' to the one I want.

I had told them about the non-topup issue prior to starting this process.

Highlighted
Expert Contributor

[ Edited ]
Message 10 of 14 (214 Views)

@veeunit wrote:

Nope, I didnt see staff call anyone. I told them I wanted that specific number, happy to have it go Pay Monthly, went through the process, and at the end, he simply said the number wasnt available and that I could choose an alternative which was close to the number I wanted. I aborted the process - theres no need for me to get a number 'similar' to the one I want.

I had told them about the non-topup issue prior to starting this process.

I think you should have insisted they call dealer support. 

There's go to be someone that can get that number up and running in fact Vodafone should have that as a service people can request to get their numbers back for a small fee to cover Vodafones costs.

Stats
  • 13 Replies
  • 5w ago
  • 3 Kudos
  • 4 Contributors