Nuisance / Scam International calls

Starter Poster

Nuisance / Scam International calls

[ Edited ]
by Waitete Starter Poster
Message 1 of 2 (893 Views)

Hi,

I keep receiving calls from intenational numbers and vodafone say they cant help me, they cant block all international calls.  Other than changing my phone number (massive pain in the arse) what can I do?

This is insane, i've had abut 30 calls so far and they dont seem to be stopping!!  Come on vodafone, up your game.

Starter Poster

Re: Nuisance / Scam International calls

by Phoebenz72 Starter Poster
Message 2 of 2 (346 Views)
I have a solution my sister-in-law suggested which worked for me. I kept getting scam calls about "a problem with your computer". Whenever I got one of these calls I would ask them to "hold the line" or "hang on while I got my computer booted up" (since this was often what they'd ask me to do), and then I would just leave them waiting while I went about my evening, getting tea ready or watching TV etc. This is effective for two reasons-
1. They waste their time waiting for you when they could be scamming someone else and
2. It costs them money for the international call with no promise of return.
I'd check the phone after about 5 minutes to see if they're still on the line "Are you still there?" and if they were, just say "keep holding please" and didn't give them a chance to ask anything, just put the phone back down and walk away again, checking back in another 5-10min. I did have them wait 10min before checking the first time I tried this and they were still waiting! Hilarious and quite empowering to say "please hold on a bit longer" and wander off again. They never held on for as long after the first time though. Lol.
After 3 or 4 further calls I've never heard from them again.
Have fun 😂
Posted from Generic Android 2.0
Stats
  • 1 Reply
  • 1y ago
  • 1 Kudo
  • 2 Contributors