My mobile has been de-activated even though it has credit and I am still using it

Starter Poster
Accepted Solution

My mobile has been de-activated even though it has credit and I am still using it

by MHTBH Starter Poster
Message 1 of 14 (1,523 Views)

Hi there

I've had my mobile for 18 years or thereabouts.  At the moment I am overseas but I regularly check my mobile for texts and that it has enough credit.   On Thursday I tried to log in to check my credit and couldn't log in because my phone has been deactivated.

Please can you tell me how I can get it re-instated.

Thank you very much.

Starter Poster

Re: My mobile has been de-activated even though it has credit and I am still using it

by MHTBH Starter Poster
Message 2 of 14 (1,521 Views)

I should add that this is a pre-pay mobile, not on a plan.

Senior Contributor

Re: My mobile has been de-activated even though it has credit and I am still using it

by Senior Contributor coffeebaron Senior Contributor
Message 3 of 14 (1,491 Views)
When did you last add credit?
Posted from Samsung SM-G950F
Starter Poster

by MHTBH Starter Poster
Message 4 of 14 (1,468 Views)
16 December 2016 -  I live mostly in the UK and send occasional texts to keep it active.
I log into Vodafone to check my balance regularly and there was still credit there.
I need the phone for when I'm in NZ because this is the only way friends and family can contact me.

If Vodafone decide to de-activate a mobile why don't they send a text first asking if you want to keep it active or not?
Starter Poster

by MHTBH Starter Poster
Message 5 of 14 (1,466 Views)

My mobile seems to have been de-activated at the same time as I closed my now defunct ihug account with Vodafone.  

Co-incidence ?

Senior Contributor

by Senior Contributor coffeebaron Senior Contributor
Message 6 of 14 (1,463 Views)
As per PrePay Ts&Cs, account must be topped up at least once every 12 months to remain active. If account is not topped up within 12 months, you lose credit, then 1 month later, account is deactivated. If you talk nice to staff at Vodafone, it is sometimes possible to get your number back - but certainly not guaranteed.
Starter Poster

by MHTBH Starter Poster
Message 7 of 14 (1,461 Views)

Thanks this is really helpful.  

No. 1 - top up with small amounts rather than one large

No. 2 - I bought my mobile 18 years ago so have forgotten T&C's - note to myself to regularly check for updates.

Starter Poster

by MHTBH Starter Poster
Message 8 of 14 (1,446 Views)

Coffeebaron

One other thing I would like to say, for many older people like myself a mobile is there as a lifeline, not something we use every day and I think Vodafone should take that into account.  The least they can do is text us and ask if we still want our mobile to remain active. 

Business Ninja Adept

by Business Ninja Adept Business Ninja Adept Business Ninja Adept
Message 9 of 14 (1,436 Views)

There are two warning SMS sent prior to the disconnection of a prepay mobile in this manner, one warning of the credit expiry, and then one a month later warning of disconnection..

NOC Engineer | Vodafone NZ
Starter Poster

by MHTBH Starter Poster
Message 10 of 14 (1,421 Views)

Hi sebastianbd

Interesting because I haven't received any SMS notices.

Stats
  • 13 Replies
  • 1y ago
  • 1 Kudo
  • 3 Contributors