3G Frequency

Starter Poster

3G Frequency

by Raidene Starter Poster
Message 1 of 5 (825 Views)

I am trying to get a signal booster to increase signal strength inside my home. Vodafone advertise that their 3G networks run 2100MHZ urban and 900MHZ rural. As I am in Wellington I assume that's urban, and therefore 2100MHZ but my antenna picks up nothing.

The UMTS ARFCN fluctuates between 3065 and infrequently 10564 on my phone which would be 900MHZ or the predicted 2100 MHZ.

So I guess my question is how do I know when/where there is going to be signal at 2100MHZ and not 900 MHZ? It's expensive to have a repeater that does both.

Business Ninja Adept

Re: 3G Frequency

[ Edited ]
by Business Ninja Adept Business Ninja Adept Business Ninja Adept
Message 2 of 5 (815 Views)

I suggest you don't install any repeater yourself you will likely cause interference on our radio network, degrade whatever cellphone coverage there is for everyone in your area, and have our contractors / RSM (Radio Spectrum Management) knocking on your door to shut it down shortly after.

Radio Spectrum is licenced in New Zealand and Vodafone has not approved the repeater you are installing.

Only approved option is the Vodafone Sure Signal (https://www.vodafone.co.nz/mobile/3g-sure-signal/) - Femtocell.

Thanks

NOC Engineer | Vodafone NZ
Starter Poster

by Raidene Starter Poster
Message 3 of 5 (802 Views)

Hi there - thanks for your answer.

Your approved device relies on someone having a broadband connection, and therefore is useless to me. If I had a broadband connection then I wouldnt need this in the first place.  If Vodafone certified something useful then clearly I would use that and not have to try and solve these problems myself.

I'm familiar with the RSM legislation but given that my house is 1.5KM from the next house and the repeater has a range of 5 metres, I don't think they'll be coming around any time soon.

Can you answer my original question please?

Business Ninja Adept

by Business Ninja Adept Business Ninja Adept Business Ninja Adept
Message 4 of 5 (796 Views)

@Raidene wrote:

Hi there - thanks for your answer.

Your approved device relies on someone having a broadband connection, and therefore is useless to me. If I had a broadband connection then I wouldnt need this in the first place.  If Vodafone certified something useful then clearly I would use that and not have to try and solve these problems myself.

I'm familiar with the RSM legislation but given that my house is 1.5KM from the next house and the repeater has a range of 5 metres, I don't think they'll be coming around any time soon.

Can you answer my original question please?

I'm glad that you are familiar with the RSM legislation. FWIW, it does not have to do with how far your neighbours are if you are going to be causing interference on our network. - We easily spot the interference picked up in our cell sites KPI checks (done on a network level across all sites, and outliers are picked up, multiple times daily)- we will see this cause an increase in RTWP (Recieved Total Wideband Power) in the KPI's, And we can easily find the general location where the interference is coming from (by adjusting the cell's tilts and looking at noise signatures on surrounding sites) and then get hands and feet on the ground to track down the location. 

It's not a case of if, but when it will be found. (Trust me we deal with this on a daily basis and I have personally been out in the field with the guys myself to investigate and shut down equipment)

To answer your question "how do I know when/where there is going to be signal at 2100MHZ and not 900 MHZ?"

You won't know. U900 and U2100 are both 3G and the Vodafone coverage map on our website does not differentiate between the two bands. Handsets Vodafone sell support both U900 + U2100 - hence it shouldn't be an issue for the intended use of the network. 

It sounds like you have already worked it out that there is no U21 signal in your area as you don't pick up anything on your antenna. So if your handset is operating on 3G and it's not U21, then it must be U9 Smiley Happy.

NOC Engineer | Vodafone NZ
Highlighted
Senior Contributor

by Senior Contributor coffeebaron Senior Contributor
Message 5 of 5 (769 Views)
Your other option is Cel-Fi, these are approved by Vodafone. http://cel-fi.co.nz/cel_fi_models_vodafone.html
Stats
  • 4 Replies
  • 44w ago
  • 1 Kudo
  • 3 Contributors