Nationwide Upgrades on Schedule?

Highlighted
Starter Poster
Accepted Solution

Nationwide Upgrades on Schedule?

by GrumpyMagpie Starter Poster
Message 1 of 8 (602 Views)

Are the network upgrades scheduled this week (https://community.vodafone.co.nz/t5/Services-status/bd-p/b8) on track?  I've only had broadband access on Tuesday night this week in Christchurch and have had to use my Spark mobile in hotspot mode all week to do work.  The good news is that the Spark connection is 5G, so I've been able to enjoy 120 Mbps speed Smiley Very Happy  The bad news is that I'm down to my last 3 GB of data and will have to buy more if the outage continues or switch to Spark broadband.

I would appreciate some updates and confirmation that the upgrades will be completed tonight, since nearly a full work week without internet is a huge inconvenience.

Highlighted
Staff

Re: Nationwide Upgrades on Schedule?

by Staff hpatel Staff
Message 2 of 8 (598 Views)

Hi @GrumpyMagpie,

What type of service are you having an issue with? Is it a fixed line service, or a mobile/wireless broadband service?

The Network Upgrades page only covers upgrades to our mobile network, and we aim to have full service available by 8pm each night.

I note that there were two mobile sites scheduled for upgrade in Christchurch this week, and both were for Wednesday only. The impact of these upgrades should have been at worst only degraded coverage during the day on Wednesday (as surrounding sites would pick up the load, rather than a complete outage).

It sounds like you're seeing issues outside of what we would expect from these mobile network upgrades, this would point to a more localised fault which would need further troubleshooting.

Cheers,

Hayden

I work in the Corporate/Government space for Vodafone, but I know a little bit about a lot of things we do. I volunteer my time on here.
Highlighted
Starter Poster

Message 3 of 8 (579 Views)

Hi Hayden,

The service issues are with both one mobile and one broadband account.  We normally connect to the tower on Marleys Hill on LTE band 28 in the 700 MHz range (not sure why Sugarloaf doesn't seem to provide service).

We used to have signal issues and then the tower was upgraded and we consistently had 4 bars on the mobile and 5 bars on the broadband and 40 Mbps up/down.  The signal went down to 0 bars on the mobile and 2 bars on the mobile broadband for about 2 Mbps down and 0.4 Mbsp up on Monday morning the 25th of May and returned Monday night.  It went back down again Tuesday morning and hasn't come back since.  Today (Saturday the 30th), the broadband signal went from 2 bars to zero around 9:30 AM, so it may be that they are still working on it.

What is the best way to get help with this?  If I call, the phone support wants me to just go through the usual off-and-on again routine and then when nothing works, they just tell me that there are nationwide outages due to upgrades and to just wait which is a 2-hour waste of time.  Is there a better way to find out the service status on a particular tower?

Cheers,

Grumpy

Highlighted
Business Ninja Adept

by Business Ninja Adept Business Ninja Adept Business Ninja Adept
Message 4 of 8 (570 Views)

Hi @GrumpyMagpie 

You need to call and insist for a ticket to be logged. Your issues need to be investigated by the support team. They are not related to a current /  ongoing upgrade.

It's important that you call and get a ticket logged, so that the right people will look into your issue and work through it to get it sorted.

For reference: Marleys Hill site, is 2G Only. So you are not getting any L7 Coverage from that site. Sugarloaf was upgraded at the start of May, where it was upgraded from being a 2G only site, to having U900 (3G) and L700 (4G). However, on 25/05 we locked the 3G and 4G services on Sugarloaf, as they were causing interference and dropped calls over the city.

Best Regards,

Sebastian

NOC Engineer | Vodafone NZ
Highlighted
Business Ninja Adept

by Business Ninja Adept Business Ninja Adept Business Ninja Adept
Message 5 of 8 (569 Views)

@GrumpyMagpieif you PM me the ticket number once logged, (Will look like INC00000xxxxxxx) I will make sure it lands in the right hands Smiley Happy

NOC Engineer | Vodafone NZ
Highlighted
Starter Poster

Message 6 of 8 (559 Views)

Sebastian,

Great, thank you for the reply and details, I'll get a ticket lodged and PM it to you.  I'm on the south side of Sugarloaf and Marleys Hill (Governors Bay / Allandale area) with line-of-sight to those two towers, but I do not have line of site to Lyttelton.

Maybe I'm picking up a reflection off of the Marleys Hill tower area for L700 which would make sense since using a Yagi to sweep the area for a signal out of desperation the day after the lockdown, the best coverage seemed to be slightly below Marleys Hill.

Cheers

Highlighted
Starter Poster

Message 7 of 8 (513 Views)

Just a quick status update.  Incident ticket was provided and the signal has been restored for testing at this point which is excellent news.  Hopefully tests get completed successfully over the next few days and the changes are made permanent.

Thanks Sebastian for getting the ticket in the hands of the right people.

Cheers,

HappyMagpie

Highlighted
Starter Poster

Message 8 of 8 (481 Views)

Thanks again Sebastian and the rest of the Vodafone team.  Signal has been strong and stable for two days now, so I'm assuming the initial testing has been completedly sucessfully and hopefully the new equipment can remain in place permanently.

Stats
  • 7 Replies
  • 26w ago
  • 3 Kudos
  • 3 Contributors