Any new Nokia phones coming with qwerty keyboard

Highlighted
Starter Poster
Accepted Solution

Any new Nokia phones coming with qwerty keyboard

by seekwn1 Starter Poster
Message 1 of 5 (2,034 Views)

Hi Joel.

I am a current user of a Nokia 302 smart phone. I love it but realise I may have to replace it one day. I have a strong aversion to touch phones and love the use of the Qwerty keyboard.

Can you please advise if nokia/Microsoft have any plans to introduce new Nokia phones that still have a qwerty keyboard even if it has to be a touch phone.

As a nokia user for almost 10 years I would be very reluctant to have to "upgrade" my smartphone to a manufacturer other than Nokia /Microsoft.

Can you please advise my options. All phones have been on Vodafone almost since Vodafone started in NZ.

Thank you.

Alistair

Levin

Trusted Partner

Re: Any new Nokia phones coming with qwerty keyboard

by Trusted Partner Trusted Partner
Message 2 of 5 (2,017 Views)

Hi Alistair

Thanks for the question.

Due to our inability to discuss unannounced products it makes it hard for me to be firm in my answers. However from a personal point of view I suspect it is highly unlikely, due to lack of demand for our QWERTY products. The reason we stopped selling our previous QWERTY phones in NZ is due to a rapid decrease in sales once touch screen really took off.

However the QWERTY keyboard on Windows Phone touch screen is excellent. It comes with Word Flow (like swipe for Android) built in, and also a very smart word predictor that actually learns your personal preferences. For example my Lumia 930 now knows my daughter’s name ‘Lanie’ and gives me the option to add it to the text or email to my wife: ‘I am on my way home, I can pick up (Lanie) from daycare.’

I know that shifting to touch screen can seem like a big move, but with the current technology and operating system abilities (at quite amazing entry price points) the experience is really great. I certainly had an aversion to moving from the tactile feel of real buttons a few years ago too… I feel ya, it just takes a week or so to get used to it!

Good luck in the move to your next phone!

Joel

Starter Poster

Message 3 of 5 (2,009 Views)

Hi Joel. 

Thanks for your insight and reply to my question. While I am now comtemplating it yet, do you think my next purchase would be one of the "lower priced" Lumia models. In which case which model do you suggest I look at , to give me an idea of their capabilities please?

Thanks

Alistair
Trusted Partner

[ Edited ]
by Trusted Partner Trusted Partner
Message 4 of 5 (2,000 Views)

Hey again Alistair

I had made the assumption based on your current model regarding the lower price. Maybe I was incorrect - sorry!

However, the beautiful thing about Windows Phone is that it is all but the same experience from entry level to flagship. There are a few slight differences though including: There is an extra row of Live Tiles (icons/apps that show you up to date info at a glance on your start screen) that you can place on 5" displays and larger which are usually a tad more expensive. Aside from those things, the operating system is virtually identical from $199 to $999.

Hardware specs then offer different experiences, like Wireless Charging and the 20MP PureView Carl Zeiss lens on the Lumia 930. Also screen technology gets better as your spend a bit more. This effects sunlight readability and glass scratch resistance. You start to see these screen changes as early in the range as $299 with the Lumia 635. It is also 4G!

The Lumia 520 is the current Vodafone entry Windows Phone handset, and at $199 you get a very rich smartphone experience. With Windows Phone 8.1 (available as an update for the 520) you get things like:

1. FREE, offline, voice guided turn by turn navigation thanks to Here Maps.

2. Microsoft Office built in FREE - you can edit Word, PowerPoint and Excel on your phone

3. 15GB free cloud storage with your Microsoft Account on OneDrive

Thanks!

Joel

Starter Poster

Message 5 of 5 (2,859 Views)

Hi Joel.

Thanks again. You are a star.

Alistair

Stats
  • 4 Replies