WIFI so much slower with Vodafone???

Highlighted
Starter Poster

WIFI so much slower with Vodafone???

by bob6 Starter Poster
Message 1 of 9 (165 Views)

We changed to Vodafone about a month ago.  Our WIFI is SO much slower than it was with the previous provider.  I've tried changing modems, restarting computers and modems, different times of day, connecting with ethernet.  Nothing works.  Our speeds are bad anyway but it is getting so bad now pages won't even load some times.

Have gone from 4.5-5 Mbps to lucky if we can get 2!

Retired Staff

Re: WIFI so much slower with Vodafone???

[ Edited ]
by johnr Retired Staff
Message 2 of 9 (160 Views)

@bob6Have you tried changing the Wi-Fi channel and are you going to tell us what modem / Router you have got?

Check out this blog post by Steve Biddle explaining how Wi-Fi works

https://www.geekzone.co.nz/sbiddle/8728

Are you on naked broabdband or clothed broadband?

Ex VodafoneNZ staff member 17+ years and if you want real help from real people check out www.geekzone.co.nz
Retired Staff

by johnr Retired Staff
Message 3 of 9 (154 Views)

Further to this I would be looking into why the internet connection is soooo slow!

Have you checked the xDSL line stats in the modem to see if you have a problem with your house wiring or are you connected to a Conklin Cabinet?

Ex VodafoneNZ staff member 17+ years and if you want real help from real people check out www.geekzone.co.nz
Starter Poster

by bob6 Starter Poster
Message 4 of 9 (147 Views)

Middle of no where rural, which I understand means Conklin Cabinet.

Chorus link says we are on the best available for our address and expect speeds up to 4.  Which is what we were getting.  I know that sounds really low to city folk, but it's pretty good out here.  We even managed to stream the Rugby with no issues.  But now, the speed is just terrible and I really can't work out why, apart from the change to Vodafone.

Starter Poster

by bob6 Starter Poster
Message 5 of 9 (152 Views)

Should I rephrase by saying the only thing that has changed is going from Spark to Vodafone.  I even went back to the old modem and no luck.  As already mentioned I have tried an ethernet connection, so it's not really a WIFI issue, it's getting the speed to the house that is the problem??

I don't know much about the whole thing, so simple questions only Smiley Tongue  The modem supplied by Vodafone which I am now using is an Ultrahub.  I've changed the channel with no difference.  Naked Broadband (that is a difference from Spark, does that somehow affect things?)

Retired Staff

by johnr Retired Staff
Message 6 of 9 (150 Views)

@bob6  You will be connected to the same hardware as when you were on Spark but I wonder if DLM has not had a chance to work yet

Do not keep turning the modem off and on or this will impact DLM

https://sp.chorus.co.nz/product-update/adding-dynamic-line-management-ethernet-based-adsl

Further to this what does the Chours NZ address checker say for your address?

https://www.chorus.co.nz/broadband-checker

Retired Staff

by johnr Retired Staff
Message 7 of 9 (145 Views)

I am sure it will be DLM related and I live rural and have a Fibre connection Smiley Happy

Do not keep turning the modem off and on and let DLM work on the line

Retired Staff

[ Edited ]
by johnr Retired Staff
Message 8 of 9 (141 Views)

You want to look at the xDSL line stats in the modem and make sure you only have 1 master Telephone jack point in use and all other Telephone jack points in the house are isolated from the Telephone jack point the modem is plugged into

Edit: And if you are connected to a Conklin cabinet then poor you Smiley Sad

Senior Contributor

by Senior Contributor coffeebaron Senior Contributor
Message 9 of 9 (113 Views)
Approx where in the country are you?
Posted from Generic Android 2.0
Stats
  • 8 Replies
  • 4w ago
  • 0 Kudos
  • 3 Contributors