Vodafone getting the worst ping compared to any other ISP's

Starter Poster

Vodafone getting the worst ping compared to any other ISP's

by AwesomePigMan12 Starter Poster
Message 1 of 15 (739 Views)

I don't know if any of you guys realise this but when you play Asia Servers, the ping goes around 210-250. I use an ethernet cable and have fibre max and when I try connect to any server around Asia, the ping is so bad, even though USA is further away you get better ping in USA. Thing is, it is different to other ISP's. I've used WebComm, TrustPower, MyRePublic, Slingshot and Spark and all of them averages around 150 ping. Why is this? I expected half decent ping since when I did a speed test I got 2 ping, 950 download and 450 upload. But even the ISP's that sell speeds which are less than 10 mbps, it still gets better ping in Asia. This is only on Vodafone since I tested this theory with my other friends which use Vodafone and their results are worse than mine. Their ping goes above 300 which is just insane. I expect 4G and Fibre Max to get half decent ping in Asia since we are only away by 10,000km. Please fix your ping in Asia since this is only a Vodafone issue. This is irritating since some games don't have Oceania servers and our nearest server is Asia. It doesn't mean that the ping in USA and Austrailia should be fine and leave the rest. This issue came around April and I look back at my old recordings and my ping was somewhat fine but now it is just dissapointing, especially when I pay for Fibre Max. Do something about this, don't leave it since this is an issue which will cause annoyance to games that don't support Oceania servers such as ROBLOX, Genshin Impact, The escapists and Among Us.

Retired Staff

Re: Vodafone getting the worst ping compared to any other ISP's

[ Edited ]
by johnr Retired Staff
Message 2 of 15 (733 Views)

@AwesomePigMan12

Are you playing for a ping SLA?? You have zero clue how the internet works and how routing works,

Pop over to geekzone.co.nz and post what you have above and wait for the responses

https://www.geekzone.co.nz/forums.asp?forumid=40

Ex VodafoneNZ staff member 17+ years and if you want real help from real people check out www.geekzone.co.nz
Starter Poster

Message 3 of 15 (707 Views)

My reply got deleted

I don't know how to use geekzone and I'm not over 17 years old and I'm not working for anything or anyone, this is just a Vodafone issue that Asia Servers gives Vodafone ping around 250 but every other provider gives around 150 even though it has lower bandwidth and lower prices. Why is this? This person had the same issue and their solution is to just ditch Vodafone and use another provider. I don't want that to happen to me just beacuse of one small issue that can be easily fixed.

https://community.vodafone.co.nz/t5/Broadband-services/Battlefield-1-servers-in-Hong-Kong-have-extra... this is their post

Please fix this, it makes it look like USA is closer than Asia when it's not.

Retired Staff

[ Edited ]
by johnr Retired Staff
Message 4 of 15 (702 Views)

@AwesomePigMan12  There is nothing to fix! Internet traffic does not always take the most direct path and it is not static

Ex VodafoneNZ staff member 17+ years and if you want real help from real people check out www.geekzone.co.nz
Starter Poster

Message 5 of 15 (573 Views)

Only in Vodafone!?!? This is probably why I want to switch providers. Just because only Vodafone has this issue. I don't even need to think of other providers which will give be the lowest latency since every provider other than Vodafone will take the most direct route.

Retired Staff

by johnr Retired Staff
Message 6 of 15 (565 Views)

latency / routes are not static on any ISP and they change from time to time!

It is not a fault and have zero idea why you think it is a fault

Staff

by Staff wsfinest Staff
Message 7 of 15 (561 Views)

what is the server ip address please. also can you provide a traceroute showing the hops, if you are not sure how

1. Press Windows key + R to open the Run window.
  2. Enter cmd and press Enter to open a Command Prompt.
  3. Enter tracert, a space, then the IP address or web address for the destination site (for example: tracert www.lexis.com).
  4. Press Enter.

Starter Poster

[ Edited ]
by Coil Starter Poster
Message 8 of 15 (505 Views)

As you can see depending on the provider pings can vary from 200ms - 300ms.

The route for Linode Servers goes through LA but the route for EDIS is direct through Australia. 

Screenshot 2021-01-24 174924.png

Starter Poster

Message 9 of 15 (343 Views)

Servers in Australia are fine and give me low ping but servers further like Asia will normally have 150 ping in other ISP while Vodafone will go around 250 ping which is way worse, even though Trustpowers internet is way cheaper. Is there no way to make my broadband take a direct route? Just every ISP I've used would take the most direct route other than Vodafone, that's why I try find ways to change how my path goes and the only way is to use a VPN which is frustrating since I can't get good latency out of the box and for other broadbands they have no issue, it shows lower bandwidth but better latency. The plan I have is Fibre Max which gives me around 950 download and 450 upload, while my friends ISP gives 100 download, 30 upload, mine is 114 dollars a month and his is around 90 a month. This really pisses me off since other ISP would always take the most direct route or use 1 hop compared to Vodafone which uses mutiple hops and it is so inefficient since just hoppng to one place to another just increases my ping and does nothing else

Starter Poster

Message 10 of 15 (93 Views)

I used the exact same website as you for the ping test and you can see my results, for Sydney servers, it's fine but when I go to Singapore my ping is 300 with Fibre Max and then I go to Los Angeles which is further than Singapore but takes a direct route, I get better ping in the United States, why is that? Why can't it just be like any other provider which will always use a direct route? Why is it only Vodafone which does this? I am not gonna sit here and say it is beacuse of where I am from since people  who are streets away from me will get less than half of my ping just beacuse they use another provider. If this doesn't change in a year, I'm gone, I don't want to sit here and suffer with this **bleep** ping I got for 2 years, also a year ago this wasn't a thing, it was fine in the past.

My test results (on Ethernet):

Trustpower's results (on WI-FI):

As you can see that Vodafone is very behind with broadband and Trustpower provides broadband and power for $90 a month while Vodafone provides just broadband for $103!!! and Trustpowers latency is way better even with WI-FI, that is just shocking, I never knew that Vodafone was this **bleep** compared to any other provider. Already 2 of my friends ditched Vodafone after their contract expires, I will only stay if they fix latency issues.

Stats
  • 14 Replies
  • 10w ago
  • 1 Kudo
  • 4 Contributors