Vodafone 4G not working with ASUS 4G-AC68U Modem/Router

Starter Poster
Accepted Solution

Vodafone 4G not working with ASUS 4G-AC68U Modem/Router

by BlueFish Starter Poster
Message 1 of 4 (474 Views)

Hi there,

I have Vodafone 4G Wireless internet for which I was supplied a Huawei B818 4G Modem. The Wi-Fi on this unit is average at best, so as I have previously used ASUS equipment (DSL-AC68U and RT-AC68U units) I bought a 4G-AC68U Modem/Router as these units have incredible Wi-Fi strength that reaches all parts of my house and property. 

However, after unboxing it and installing the SIM card from the B818, it will not connect to Vodafone 4G.

I called Vodafone Support to see if I could obtain the correct APN Profile settings but didn't get much assistance. After that, I tried calling ASUS Support in case there was a special settings somewhere that needed to be enabled or disabled and they simply referred me back to Vodafone.

Can someone from Vodafone please assist with getting this modem working? Is the SIM locked to the IMEI of the Huawei Modem? If so, can it be unlocked for my ASUS modem? I'd really rather use the ASUS rather than having to have both the Huawei as the modem and then another device as my Wireless Access Point (I don't have the space for this set up). 

Thanks in advance,

J

Business Ninja Adept

Re: Vodafone 4G not working with ASUS 4G-AC68U Modem/Router

by Business Ninja Adept Business Ninja Adept Business Ninja Adept
Message 2 of 4 (466 Views)

Assuming you're on a "Home Wireless Broadband" plan, the APN is "broadband" (No quotation marks)

The SIM is most likely TAC Locked to the IMEI of the Huawei modem too from memory. 

NOC Engineer | Vodafone NZ
Senior Contributor

by Senior Contributor MrMorm Senior Contributor
Message 3 of 4 (450 Views)

It will be a tac locked sim, and you wont be no be able to unlock it (without chainging sim and plan as I understand it)

The Asus 4G is only CAT6 versus CAT 19 on the B818, so will be a worse mobile connection, so you may not be better off by much. The fastest speed setup would be using the B818 connected to the ASUS notwithstanding your space limiations. 

Starter Poster

by BlueFish Starter Poster
Message 4 of 4 (441 Views)

Thanks for the responses. This makes sense as to why it doesn't work.

Also, that is interesting to know about the LTE category of the B818 vs the ASUS. I wasn't aware of that.

Well, aside from the [now known] 4G performance benefits, the B818 at least looks a lot more aesthetically pleasing than the ASUS Smiley Happy

Thanks again.

Stats
  • 3 Replies
  • 10w ago
  • 3 Kudos
  • 3 Contributors