Uploads result in unresponsive internet

Highlighted
Frequent Poster

Uploads result in unresponsive internet

by Frequent Poster jbag Frequent Poster
Message 1 of 10 (389 Views)

Hi,

I am on ADSL in a rural area using the ultra hub. I get around 10mbps down and 1 mbps up. 

Generally this is good enough for me but I have real issues when any upload occurs. If someone tries to upload a file (eg. A photo) the internet stops responding. This is for all devices connected both via wifi and ethernet cable.

It's basically as if the ultra hub can only handle the upload and can't do anything else at the same time.

Is there any way this can be fixed? Or is this a ultra hub issue?

Thanks in advance.

Posted from Generic Android 2.0
Highlighted
Senior Contributor

Re: Uploads result in unresponsive internet

by Senior Contributor MrMorm Senior Contributor
Message 2 of 10 (383 Views)

Its a limitation of ADSL. If you are maxing out the upload (very easy to do now given how large digital photos are) then it will affect the download. Anything you download is made up of multiple upload requests and acknowledgments, so if the upload is jammed up, then those requests get slowed, thereby slowing the downloads too.

The Utra Hub just has to wait for the ADSL line. On Fibre, the Ultra Hub happily goes along at 1000down/500up, so the Ulra Hub is really just twiddling its thumbs waiting.

Fixed Wireless Access (RBI) might be a better option for you if you have reasonable mobile coverage as it may be faster up and down.

Highlighted
Frequent Poster

Message 3 of 10 (377 Views)

Hi MrMrom thanks for your reply, that makes sense.

Unfortunately I am limited to ADSL as I live rural. I have no mobile signal so I actually use Sure Signal plugged into my modem (which is one of the devices that disconnects when an upload occurs). I switched to VDSL for a short time but it was a disaster and I was then later told that I shouldn't have been switched in the first place as I am too far from the exchange.

Where is the main point of the issue? Is it the copper line, the cabinet exchange, Vodafone, my modem or a combination? I swear I didn't used to have this problem so is it just a case of the Vodafone Ultra Hub being bad a traffic management?

You're right, even a 5mb photo basically completely jams up everything. No one can do anything until that upload finishes which is a real pain! We basically avoid uploading anything!

I have one of the older HG 659 models I might switch out and see if that is any different.

Highlighted
Senior Contributor

Message 4 of 10 (375 Views)

The modem should not make any difference (the HG659 and Ultra hub actually use the same ADSL chip)

Its an ADSL thing (copper line and exchange). So at a guess I think it is your (and maybe your neighbours) usage increasing causing congestion.

Highlighted
Frequent Poster

Message 5 of 10 (373 Views)

I thought potentially the modem should have something built in to manage the traffic better? As in if an upload is taking up all the bandwidth then it should throttle it so other traffic can still go as well although slower.

Posted from Generic Android 2.0
Highlighted
Senior Contributor

Message 6 of 10 (371 Views)

it does, but the upload is slow slow and trying to push through too much, your PC times out before the traffic can get through enough.

Highlighted
Expert Contributor

by Expert Contributor Expert Contributor
Message 7 of 10 (340 Views)
You can get different routers that can manage this better; e.g. on a Draytek you can limit maximum upload speed a device can do, thus reducing the probability of this issue occurring. Also you can get your home wiring checked to make sure you're get the best out of the connection. What area of the country are you?
Posted from Samsung SM-G973F
Highlighted
Frequent Poster

Message 8 of 10 (331 Views)

Hey @coffeebaron yeah I was thinking of looking at that as an option.

From what I could see the older HG659 does have this capability but hidden in an admin account https://forums.whirlpool.net.au/archive/2696049

Before I try a non Vodafone modem I need to work out what my ADSL username and password is. My account has change da few times so I'm unsure what it actually is these days and the Vodafone issued modems don't require these to be put in.

I think the wiring is ok - this was a big issue when I first moved in as the previous owner had daisy chained the phone line all over the house. I removed them all and just have the one port where it enters the house.

I live out near Pukekohe in South Auckland.

Highlighted
Frequent Poster

Message 9 of 10 (319 Views)

So turns out the HG659 has bandwidth control if you look in as the admin user (not the default vodafone user).

I set a limit on the upload and everything is running smoothly now! I am able to upload and do other things at the same time presumably because the upload isn't maxing out!

Highlighted
Expert Contributor

by Expert Contributor Expert Contributor
Message 10 of 10 (317 Views)
Good result. Also feel free to message me your address. I can take a look and get an idea of what speeds your line could be capable of. And check out other possible broadband options.
Fraser
nzcoffeebaron at outlook dot com
Posted from Samsung SM-G973F
Stats
  • 9 Replies
  • 6w ago
  • 0 Kudos
  • 3 Contributors